GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anyone else notice the cluster (dash) back lighting seems dim?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 03:51 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wish it wasnt so hard to change the light on the cluster

Last edited by LudeNsoL; 10-30-09 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10-30-09, 02:15 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How would you take a pic of the light as it is a relative contrast.
Does that make any sense? I know why you would want one but really how can you to compare it to ?
Old 10-30-09, 12:10 PM
DumpedGS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i always thought that my dash lights were really dim as well....then i had a battery go south on me. ever since i installed my SAFC i have watched the voltage and thought it was low. turns out my battery was bad and causing the issue. ever since i put a new battery in my car, my lights are so bright ive actually turned them down. leads me to believe the dim lights are a product of low voltage, not bad lighting. my voltage is .3-.4 volts higher all the time with the new battery.
Old 10-30-09, 01:01 PM
a#'z
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you go to the tunnel it brightens up, due the your dash board, there are the sensors right there on each side near your window, they look like half a bouncing ball... so you guys can cover that up so it wont go bright or dark, and adjust the dimmer after..
Old 10-31-09, 12:31 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Dumped , what year is your car . We or atleast me are talking about 00-05 cars as they seem to have slightly different lighting setups. No one complains with a 98-00 , I have never driven one where it was dim , they were all quite bright.
Low voltage would affect it bit this is not a low voltage situation as it does not have a waveform synced to voltage fluctuations.

a#z you need to read the thread before you respond as the solar sensors (left for lighting ,right for a/c vent activation ) have been covered very well already , thanks.
Old 11-01-09, 05:42 AM
Believer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skperformance
Dumped , what year is your car . We or atleast me are talking about 00-05 cars as they seem to have slightly different lighting setups. No one complains with a 98-00 , I have never driven one where it was dim , they were all quite bright.
Low voltage would affect it bit this is not a low voltage situation as it does not have a waveform synced to voltage fluctuations.

a#z you need to read the thread before you respond as the solar sensors (left for lighting ,right for a/c vent activation ) have been covered very well already , thanks.
Dear sirs/madams:
I have a '99 gs300 and respectfully, I would like to whine about the light intensity during night time running. I think I'll look into changing the brightness level as mentioned in this thread - sounds like an elegant solution.
Old 11-02-09, 09:11 AM
DumpedGS
Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
mine is a 98'
Old 11-03-09, 05:45 AM
flexspeed
Pole Position

mine a 98 and mine is dimmer on day or night....keep us update about going to the dealer or if anyone can custom a light for it...thankz
Old 11-03-09, 01:38 PM
bbgsgt2
Driver School Candidate

99 GS300 here and same issue with the dim and dimmerer inst. lights. Esp the center (speedo) one is dimmer than other ones. Ha first post and its to complain, not really, love the car. 170k ans still going strong, and now back to your regular scheduled program.
Old 11-03-09, 02:21 PM
Nosferatu2
Driver

does your gauges color matches the radio/AC display color. on my 04 gs3 the ac/radio display is nice and green, the gauges are more of bright faded green. no mater how much i turn it up or down it never matches the color of radio. I seen pictures of clusters with nice dark green color. could it be my cluster gauges slowly burning out ???? anyone have any pictures ????
Old 11-22-09, 09:51 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Hmm , so it seems all GS have this issue.
update
I was noticing the battery on mine is going and remembered this thread and it having a possible link to the cluster being dim.
I thought since under starting it gets a high drain possible it is not sending enough power to the cluster or sensor which causes it to have a reading from the solar sensor being off thus being dark.
Well I just thought as great and simple as an idea that was , it did not work for me . If i park anywhere dark the cluster is dark as hell with a brand new battery .
Will go and get it upped at the dealer to light 2 and see how it goes since it is better but not good enough.
Old 10-05-10, 10:10 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Well it is 100% i just keep forgetting to dig this thread up .
I replaced my battery a year or so ago and the backlighting is always bright now to the point where I forgot to even notice it was dim.
So if you have the cluster getting dim look at getting your battery or ground wires changed.
Old 10-06-10, 02:55 AM
SnoopyBQ
Pit Crew

did you also went to the dealer and have it set to light 2?
Old 10-06-10, 04:39 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the lights are way too dim. At one time I was having weird electrical issues with my car. My doors wouldn't unlock, my dash lights where going on and off. It was at that time that my Dash lit up so bright that I got excited! I thought it was going to stay that way permament, but went away . I know it is capable of going bright because mine went super bright for 15 minutes. It felt cool lol. Someone find a way!
Old 10-06-10, 05:22 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes my poor gs is suffering from the dim dash lighting syndrome as well. can't wait to see a practical fix. i spend my day fabricating things for other's cars to the point that when i work on my car i have no more motivation lol

Quick Reply: Anyone else notice the cluster (dash) back lighting seems dim?