GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help! Please Read!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-08, 08:24 AM
chuckli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Please Read!

I just got a full inspection yesterday at Lexus and here are the problems they found, I'm not sure if everything they said is actually bad since I know dealership service always tries to rip us off...

1. fluid changes with timing belt and waterpump $2400

2. rear main seal is leaking $2100 (they said it's very minor and told me to pay attention to the leakage, could run for about 10k-15k miles.

3. right front outer tie rod ends need replaced $235

4. four wheel alignment $129 (after #3, they have to do it they said)

5. fog light connector $65

Anyone knows where can I get cheaper parts and if it's recommended to get these parts fixed by my local mechanic (he has worked on vdub all his life and specialized in german cars like audi/bmw, i got my bank1O2 sensor fixed there)

Please help! thanks!
Old 10-18-08, 08:40 AM
joel5150
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch!!!!!
Well I can tell you that you can get the tie rods and lower ball joints from TM engineering for the same price the dealer gave you for just the tie rods and do them yourself. You will need an alignment but find a reputable local shop that knows what they are doing. Also, if you get a 4 wheel alignment, ask them if they jack the rear up to adjust the toe. On our cars, if they do not release the weight it can cause issues and even damage the adjustment areas. Good luck with the rest of it.
Old 10-19-08, 06:25 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the alignment was about the only price quote even close to what a local mechanic might charge. i gots all the fluids done + timing belt & water pump for like 800 i believe, back in CO like 2-2.5 years ago. this is recommended to be done at like 60k i think for the gs400, not sure.
Old 10-19-08, 06:38 AM
Gunnut
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Local mechanic charged me $800 for the 90k service last August (07). Did everything the manual recommends for 90k. $800 was with parts.
Tie rods are not hard to replace, just make sure you get a good alignment after you are done. Find a frame shop or an old school alignment guy to do the work. Don't let one of the chains do it. Not enough experience to do it right in my opinion.
CL members get a discount at Sewell Lexus. Also, if you have the part numbers you can order the parts through a Toyota dealer and they are usually cheaper than from Lexus.
Old 10-19-08, 10:09 AM
KNEXX
Lead Lap

Please note that the auto industry is hurting right now so they need to rake in cash anyway possible. be very careful...
Old 10-19-08, 10:29 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You definitely need to find another shop for the rear main seal issue. Most Lexus dealers around here will do that job for about $1200 parts/labor. A regular mechanic will do it for maybe $500 or so. My buddy got his rear main seal done on his SC300 for $350 out the door.
Old 10-20-08, 06:29 PM
chuckli
Driver School Candidate

http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...oducts_id=1246

is this a foglight connector? if so, should i replace it or just connect it to the old one since only one side is sometimes out. when i open the foglight and mess around with the connector, it sometimes work.
Old 10-21-08, 12:02 PM
GS_OREO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
You definitely need to find another shop for the rear main seal issue. Most Lexus dealers around here will do that job for about $1200 parts/labor. A regular mechanic will do it for maybe $500 or so. My buddy got his rear main seal done on his SC300 for $350 out the door.

What shop was this ?
Old 10-21-08, 01:14 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Daaang. That's a lot of money. I just did the 90k service for someone last week for $800. I used genuine Toyota parts(water pump, front main crankshaft oil seal, both cam seals, acessory belt, thermostat, timing belt, timing belt tensioner, timing belt idler pulley, spark plugs, and all the associated orings and gaskets). The guy got a awesome deal lol. It was about 1/3 of what the dealer was asking for the same list

It only took me 3-4hrs to finish all that work and it was in my garage. I know the Lexus dealership can do it faster. Not sure why the heck they charge so much for it.
Old 10-21-08, 01:20 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckli
I just got a full inspection yesterday at Lexus and here are the problems they found, I'm not sure if everything they said is actually bad since I know dealership service always tries to rip us off...

2. rear main seal is leaking $2100 (they said it's very minor and told me to pay attention to the leakage, could run for about 10k-15k miles.

Anyone knows where can I get cheaper parts and if it's recommended to get these parts fixed by my local mechanic (he has worked on vdub all his life and specialized in german cars like audi/bmw, i got my bank1O2 sensor fixed there)

Please help! thanks!
where in indy are you? if youre around indianapolis, pm me. i sure as hell cant do the seals but may know a few people who can do it for cheaper.
Old 10-21-08, 01:24 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you would like a price for these parts, I would be happy to PM you. Let me know.

-Regan
Old 10-21-08, 06:59 PM
chuckli
Driver School Candidate

coco-bun, i actually live in bloomington, IN...but i have no problem coming up to indy. I just hope it can be done fast and cheap, oh i need to do the 90k service as well, please recommend me some local cheap places.

lexus-parts: yes, please pm me the prices i can get them for. i appreciate it. thanks.
Old 10-21-08, 10:52 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DAMN. Might as well sell the car! Definitly go to another place or EVEN a Toyota dealership
Old 10-22-08, 04:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Chuckli, you should tell us which year model Lexus you have, and the mileage on it.

Timing belt and water pump are $1000 job including parts at a local repair shop. Main seal is around $500. Both outer rods are $200-250 (including parts). Don't replace just one, they both wear out evenly, and chances are the other side will wear out soon as well, and you will need another alignmnet, which is another $60-100.
Old 10-22-08, 07:10 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckli

Please help! thanks!
$5k in repairs from the dealer. A large % of the estimate is the wonderful cost of Lexus tech labor.. Get the parts from Sewell & contact your local Toyota dealer if you do not know of a reputable independent mechanic in your area. The 2nd genGS has increased in age but the parts & labor will not decrease.. Good luck

Quick Reply: Help! Please Read!