GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Is it really that hard to match cinnabar!!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 07:52 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is it really that hard to match cinnabar!!?

Well I finally got my car fixed a while back. With Ike hitting houston, I haven't posted in a long time. Well I took it to a place called R&B collision because they are a AAA certified repair shop. The facility is really big and looks professional. I dropped my car off an went to check back a week later as it wa supposed to be finished. The guy tells me that the frame machine was broken. Bottom line he took 2 weeks for him to have my car "ready". When I arrive I s ee that the paint doesn't match at all. I complain to the guy and he tells me my paint isnt factory. He tells me that in order for the paint to match He need to blend it which will cost another &100 "for me" There is overspray on the new tails I had bought. I was mad because the price he told should have included everything. So I argued and he blended the paint, and also fixed a scratch he had put on m car at the shop. Im not happy with the paint. It looks alright but when the sun hits my car the paint normally turns into an orange red color. Now there is no hint of orange. Is the paint really that hard to match? Anyone had success on color match? What if I was to get a lip or a spoiler? Would my paint not match?
Old 10-16-08, 08:28 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If i'm thinking correctly, cinnabar is nothing but a strawberry kind of red with an orange pearl in it. If you're not seeing the orange reflection in the light that means they either didnt use any orange pearl or didnt use enough. If part of your agreement was for the paint to be a factory match, then he must honor his end of the deal and make sure it is a perfect match. Worse comes to worst, you split the cost of some factory cinnabar (if you can find it) and he shoots it over again for free.
Old 10-16-08, 08:49 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was this an insurance claim? if so, you can complain the the company about the quality of work that they did, and the body shop will have to do it again. Most body shops use different paint companies that when mixed to the spec provided doesn't match according to there system.

You have two options for the future. 1) Order paint from the dealer and give it to the shop that does your work or 2) take it to a body shop that deals with your local lexus dealer because they will have previous experience with that color.

I used to do body work and i can tell you from experience that because a place is certified doesn't mean anything. I have fixed cars that certified shops have previously worked on. A lot of those placed cut corners. If you have any further questions concerning this issue feel free to PM me directly.
Old 10-16-08, 09:25 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are paint on this is 3 stage
Old 10-16-08, 01:48 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

correct...3 stage paint... Base coat, pearl coat and then the clear. Sounds like he only laid the base or not enough pearl. You always have to blend in order to do it right.

I never heard of ordering paint from the dealer...haha... If they have a dealer bodyshop, they would just mix it up like any other autopaint supply place. One thing to remember is that not all paint is created equal. For example, PPG makes Omni...it rarely will match any factory paint....kinda sad but true. Its possible the shop ordered the cheaper brand paint to save costs. Just something to think about
Old 10-16-08, 07:18 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

they are trying to get over on you. I've had problems getting my paint matched when I didnt have friends in the industry before and it took them 4 times to get the paint right. Go back and make sure that he gets it right.
Old 10-17-08, 07:43 AM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Well I was so mad I took my car as is. I lost a lot of housecalls because I didnt have my car. If you all remember I was a victim of a hit and run and insurance didnt cover it so it came out of my pocket. I also didnt know you could buy paint from the dealer so im going to call today. I read his statement and it said he did a 2 stage paint job, so maybe that has a lot to do. My question remains, as anyone gotten a perfect cinnabar match on their cars? Thanks for all replies
Old 10-17-08, 09:33 AM
ceelo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did insurance not cover a hit and run? I thought those are classified under the uninsured motorist property damage part of your insurance coverage.

I can't answer your question about matching the Cinnabar paint, since I don't have it or know the "ingredients" to that paint mix. However a professional autobody shop should be able to match the paint up regardless of the color, maybe not 100% but pretty darn close. Unless your paint is in really bad condition to start with, then it might be hard to match. Any good shop wouldn't let a car out of their possession until it's done right.

I would approach the shop about redoing the paint work again, and if they don't want to re-do the work I would file a complaint with the BBB and maybe you'll get a better reaction from the shop after that.
Old 10-19-08, 09:05 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

OK, I confess I was stupid and only had liability at the time. I didnt think I was ever going to be in an accident. The irony of it all
Old 10-19-08, 11:23 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Liability is bad as you have found out for this very reason. I had someone hit me and there insurance covered it and the place I went to did a good job matching. I was a little worried too because I know its a harder color to spray. They did a great job.
Old 09-12-12, 08:15 PM
PELAVACAS
Driver School Candidate

Default Ur paint

I have a question about ur paint my dad painted his truck like 10 yrs ago a really like it and we just copy it from te shop where they ha an impala but didnt knew the paint code or name so later i told the owner what was the paint name i remember he sayed something cinnabar pearl red thats all i remember sometimes when the sun hits it it does
Look alil bit orange so iam guessing you got the same paint on ur lexus if u can please send me the code that would be nice i want to repaint my truck again thats a really nice paint every body like the paint still looks nice but couple of
Rock
Ships
Old 09-12-12, 10:48 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

I googled cinnabar pearl paint code, came out 3N1.
It was that easy.
Old 09-12-12, 10:58 PM
Sykotic336
Driver

he probably did a ****ty job n e way... usually you can just tell you insurance your not satisfied and they can redo everything at the shops expense i believe... i know my friend took her car to acura to get one of her doors repainted that light blue color you could tell a big difference in the new paint and old and the guy said "its suppose to be like that the older paint has faded" right...
Old 09-13-12, 11:12 AM
repugnante
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whenever you are painting panels on a car, you ALWAYS have to blend it with the surrounding panels. Every competent body shop knows this
Old 09-13-12, 11:37 AM
SidhuGs300
Pole Position

Hello sir, I have AAA insurance and I had a rock chip repaired on my front windshield and about a week later, the chip started getting bigger, so it was not repaired properly, so I complained to the company and AAA, then the company came to my house and replaced the whole front windshield free of cost.

Quick Reply: Is it really that hard to match cinnabar!!?