GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Lexus of ?? Not in the Business of Selling Used Cars!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-08, 10:17 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus of ?? Not in the Business of Selling Used Cars!!

I talked to a lex salesman yesterday who shall remain nameless at a lex dealership that is in my area of the world and on the phone the gentleman said they had an 05 Flint Mica with the light beige interior UL LS430 w/ 56k miles for $$33k. I told him I would make it down there before he left which he said was 4 pm. I got there around 2 and asked to see the vehicle. 56k was a little high on the mileage in my opinion, esp for an 05 but I thought that if if was pristine I would consider it anyways.

It was very apparent that after I told the gentleman I was coming down to take a look at the UL LS that neither he nor any of his staff went and checked out the vehicle to make sure it was in selling condition.

When the salesman finally (20 mins) pulled the car around he had told me that the battery was dead and had to be jumped in order to start. After only walking up to the car I could see a fairly noticeable scratch mark on the rear driver side door where it looked like someone had scraped like a parking lot pole or something. This could have been easily buffed out and I would have probably never noticed it. The interior was much more dirty than my current 99 gs400 with 105,xxx miles on it. The vehicle also did not have light colored interior. It was like a graphite dark gray almost black.

I don't recall the last time I detailed my car but I think it was like 2 months ago and my 10 year old lex's interior was in better condition and cleaner not to mention my car smelled better than this CPO mind you 05 ls430 UL that is only 3 years old. This car was being sold to me as a CPO at the sticker price of 35,6XX when I was told 33k on the phone and the car looked like it had not been cleaned since whoever the previous owner was dropped it off. The vehicle was more dirty than the last couple loaner cars I have received from this dealership.

Bottom line I did not purchase this vehicle from the dealership but I am looking for an 05-06 LS UL with preferably lower than 40k miles for under 35k. I have found a few on various car listing sites from various warehouse type auto sellers but they are not CPO and are usually an hour or two drive.

Is the CPO, new tires, new brake pads, 100k mile warranty worth an extra few grand?? Or would a car about 1-2 hours drive away non CPO be worth saving a few grand??

I was also offered only $$$ 7 grand for my 99 gs400 on trade in which is in great condition mechanically and the interior is in better condition and cleaner than some 05 ls 430 UL's apparently. The guy kept trying to say that the car had been repainted which is bull... All original paint but the front clear bra is a little messy looking but it has obviously done its job.
Old 10-14-08, 10:32 AM
ceelo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had that happen to me on a visit to a local dealership, not Lexus. The car was CPO'd but had actually just come off the back of the truck. It defintely needed some work. They must have decided at auction that it would be "certified" and actually let me check it out anyway even though it looked like crap. I'm actually glad it happened because I knew what the car looked like before it had been cleaned. The salesman said, "it will looks good as new once we clean it up." That was not a very convincing line on his part.

Either way man, it happens just chalk it up to bad luck on move on. Dealing with car dealers can be a serious pain in the #$& which I why I prefer to deal with individuals.

I will say that the trade in value offered on your GS400 is probably the most your going to see anywhere. 10 years old with over 100K doesn't net much value on trade in - no matter what the condition. Especially in todays crappy marketplace. You are better off with a private party sale.

Good luck on your search
Old 10-14-08, 08:56 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's too bad. It's a shame that a Lex dealership would be that out of touch with a vehicle they plan on selling. I had a pleasant time buying my 00 GS3 from Meade Lexus of Southfield back in January. They've always got deals goin' on. Too bad you're not closer.
Old 10-15-08, 04:55 AM
scottgs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That happened to me when I bought my 99 GS4 at the Toy dealer in town. But they just got the car in and didnt have time to do anything to it. They put all new brakes, tires, conditioned the leather and cleaned it up nicely. When I came back to look at it, I was amazed that it was the same car. Needless to say, I bought it.
Old 10-15-08, 06:37 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd rather see it before they had their way with it so I know what I'm really getting. I hate when they pressure wash the crap out of everything and cover it in greasy armor all.

I was looking at a camry for my mom once that the dealer had just spiffed up. when I checked the oil there was water in the dipstick tube from some idiot pressure washing the motor.