GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Automatic Car Wash + GS = Question???

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-08, 06:35 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Automatic Car Wash + GS = Question???

I am sure everyone is familiar with the touchless car wash systems on every corner. I have yet to use one because I always wash my car by hand, but I am in a predicament. It has been freezing in my area and I have a wedding to go to. I want a clean car, but have to work today so I cannot clean the three weeks of grime off.

Question, I am lowered on coils, but not slammed (1/2" to 3/4" gap between tire and fender) with a TTE front lip. Another concern is I have 10" wide rear wheels and I think they have grooves or metal tracks you have to drive into. Anyone use one of these without scraping a wide wheel or dragging? I would rather have a dirty car than mess something up.
Old 12-12-08, 07:18 AM
ICEBERGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally would find a hand carwash in town for all those same reasons. I was thinking the same thing a few weeks back and decided that the I dont want to take any chances with scrapping my wheels or front bumper.
Old 12-12-08, 07:20 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Best advice is to use a place to hand wash your car. There is nothing wrong with the touchless places, however with wider wheels you will have difficulty squeezing them into the advancement track without some scraping of the wheels. You may, at minimal, end up with some surface scratches, which can be buffed out. As far as the drop on your car,, should be fine, even with the lip. I would look for a place, personally which can do a hand wash or, as you said, drive it dirty.
Old 12-12-08, 07:29 AM
Rippaflow
Lead Lap

My black 430 is so dirty right now too. It pains me . I've added the roof spoiler and window visors and still haven't had a clean car with them. It's raining so much around here, atleast I can have fresh air in the rain now without getting drenched Function before Style? lol.

Like everyone else has said, I would take your car to a car wash place thats still open. You don't want icicles all over your car because you tried to wash it in the freezing like my Grandpa with his es300 the other day . (Ahh atleast at 70+ years old we finally got him to get a car that wasn't american with a v8).

As for experience with those automatic car washes, I went through one in my first car and ended up with several surface scratches even though I was on track. The same thing also happened a couple months ago with my friend's Altima, same body style lol. I took the GS through there once and didn't notice any scratches but it did leave wax all over the place and the car actually looked less clean after the automatic. I know someone is going to end up saying well if trucks can get in there, yeah well they also have a taller sidewall.

Definately take it to a car wash place.
Old 12-12-08, 01:22 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

every now and then i take mine to a automatic wash but i prefer to hand wash her. although im still on oem 16's and stock suspension. if u just dont have the time to wash it, dont wash it! the wedding isnt in or on or near your car right? u can just show up late so no1 sees your car and by the time the wedding is out, hopefully it will be dark and no1 will see it! i rarely wash my car in the winter as im not fixing to freeze for her! even though it pains me right now to see her...she's FILTHY! been raining for days here
Old 12-12-08, 01:25 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^+1 I'd rather look dirty for a day than live with scratches for the rest of my life....wait, that doesn't sound right haha
Old 12-12-08, 02:20 PM
JoelGs
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ICEBERGS
I personally would find a hand carwash in town for all those same reasons. I was thinking the same thing a few weeks back and decided that the I dont want to take any chances with scrapping my wheels or front bumper.
+1 on that topic... I wouldn't take a chances to take my car to one of those car wash place..I am sure there a car wash in your areas that doesn't have those drive in track..I usually wash my own......Hope you can find one...
Old 12-12-08, 02:36 PM
Emil
Pole Position

hand wash FTW,and if you can,always try to use hot water when you mix in the car shampoo,better for the car,and more importantly your hands don't freeze off!
Old 12-12-08, 02:48 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaydee
^+1 I'd rather look dirty for a day than live with scratches for the rest of my life....wait, that doesn't sound right haha
i would agree if it wasnt for the salt....
Old 12-12-08, 02:50 PM
KNEXX
Lead Lap

I use filter water and diapers on my ride.-lol Seriously Hand washing is the only way to go. The place a frequent uses water softeners and the results are amazing.
Old 12-12-08, 03:05 PM
augdogg
Lead Lap

100% W/ HANDWASH!!! I'm way too low for auto-washes and they do crummy jobs anywayz..