GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Bumper protection anyone w/ a body ki t& lowered

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-08, 11:17 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bumper protection anyone w/ a body kit & lowered

I think I found something to prevent damage to your bumpers. Anyone with a body kit knows the pain of negotiating dips and driveways and inclines and speed bumps w/o scrapping the heck out of your bumpers or side skirts.

I got tired of my front bumper always getting scuffed up going in and out of drive ways. I’m really, really cautious and only have a very mild drop ( Eibach springs 1.2” & L-Tuned springs) with a RMM bumper.
I found this fender edge molding at Pep Boys and thought it would be perfect to run along the edged of the bumper. The molding is hard vinyl 3/8” /10mm wide and 3/16” /5mm height and takes quite a bit of scraping from the asphalt.
It is not the end all to be all protection if you hit a dip fast or bump into a parking block your going to crack something.

You get 20’ for about $11 I think my RMM bumper used it about 61/2’. It comes in black, chrome and gold. The chrome and gold is just a thin film over the black and will show black once it’s scuffed.
The black goes w/ any color car (some better than others but it is not really that noticeable unless you bend down and get close.

Got my bumper repainted and added the molding and got a few scrapes and it holds up well. I’ve had it on for over a year and I no longer cringe when I creep into a driveway & hear that dreaded scraping sound.

In case you ask why would anyone care about the underside of your bumper? Most of us are **** about any scrapes dents or any damage to our cars but a polyurethane body kit can usually with stand scrapes better than the fiberglass ones. 10 or so hard scrape with the 36grit or worse asphalt will leave your bumper shaved thin & easy to crack.

want to prevent this

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 03-05-10 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-04-08, 11:32 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Here is the molding

Old 10-04-08, 11:34 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Here are some pics of it on my RMM bumper

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 10-18-08 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-04-08, 12:29 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's awesome, great idea!

Reminds me of RMMGS4's skid plate project.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/86621-skid-plate-project.html
Old 10-04-08, 02:57 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great idea lemme know how it works out i would just be worried that it would rip all the way off instead of just rashing the moulding
Old 10-04-08, 03:45 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that seems good...but i don't think it's as effective as you would first assume. i forget who did it, but they put a couple angled metal plates that spanned the depth of the underside of the bumper, so that the plates would scrape and not the bumper.

your setup i think is the right idea but once the front starts scraping it doesn't really support the rear end of the front bumper so it would probably scrape as well?

idk, if you have it working then great job and it's an excellent idea, maybe i'm just overthinking?
Old 10-04-08, 04:31 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
great idea lemme know how it works out i would just be worried that it would rip all the way off instead of just rashing the moulding
It works very well I had my bumper repainted ( to get scrape & nicks out) over 1 1/2 yrs ago & it has not ripped off yet. 90% of my scrapes are when I'm going slow to in and out of driveway & dips. I suppose if you hit a dip hard with some speed it could rip off.
Old 10-04-08, 04:59 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
that seems good...but i don't think it's as effective as you would first assume. i forget who did it, but they put a couple angled metal plates that spanned the depth of the underside of the bumper, so that the plates would scrape and not the bumper.

your setup i think is the right idea but once the front starts scraping it doesn't really support the rear end of the front bumper so it would probably scrape as well?

idk, if you have it working then great job and it's an excellent idea, maybe i'm just overthinking?
My intent was not to put this on and drive like you did not have to worry about anything. You still have to drive cautiously but you don't grind down your bumper when you scrape from time to time.
Without it I had nasty scrapes in 2 weeks, with it no scraped up ground down bumper since 11/06 even though it is not a daily driver. Sure, it has it's limitations but it works for me.
Old 10-04-08, 05:07 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
My intent was not to put this on and drive like you did not have to worry about anything. You still have to drive cautiously but you don't grind down your bumper when you scrape from time to time.
Without it I had nasty scrapes in 2 weeks, with it no scraped up ground down bumper since 11/06 even though it is not a daily driver. Sure, it has it's limitations but it works for me.
oh absolutely, i wasn't putting it down in any way. props to you for a great idea
Old 10-04-08, 05:21 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
oh absolutely, i wasn't putting it down in any way. props to you for a great idea
I did not take that way sorry for any confusion
Old 10-04-08, 09:15 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GREAT idea.
Old 10-04-08, 09:17 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

I'm definately going to do that.
Old 10-08-08, 01:38 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Seize, this is what your brother can use, save that JP bumper.

Old 10-08-08, 01:44 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Trust me, a fiberglass bumper is going to crack no matter what lol. You dip that bumper into the ground and it's game over. No strip of plastic is going to save your butt. I've learned it the hard way and have come to accept the truth lol.
Old 10-08-08, 11:56 AM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Trust me, a fiberglass bumper is going to crack no matter what lol. You dip that bumper into the ground and it's game over. No strip of plastic is going to save your butt. I've learned it the hard way and have come to accept the truth lol.
I hear ya. I was driving through construction the other day and the roads all cut up and I hear a bang and i was like s#!t. I look and sure enough, the front bumper is cracked...Damn Pennsylvania Department of Transportation...

Quick Reply: Bumper protection anyone w/ a body ki t& lowered