GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Gauge cluster.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 09:32 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
Notice, I didn't touch bulbs at all, they're stock white, in the experiment you were referring they changed cathode bulbs which were not really great working together with stock inverters etc, that's why they stopped experiments. As I said I didn't touch bulbs at all, so it will not affect my dash lighting system in any way, also I'm in process of making new covers, so they won't be greenish tint.
You didn't mention cathode replacement, others did. So, responding to them.
Old 10-06-08, 10:51 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
You didn't mention cathode replacement, others did. So, responding to them.
Do you think changing faceplates is better than go LED route or changing cathodes? At least is faster/safer IMO.
Old 10-06-08, 09:40 PM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol I am reading, but I might have missed and I believe someone told me that there was no tint on the plastic cover. o_0
Old 10-07-08, 05:26 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
I'm going to go against the grain, I like the yellow. It gives it a ferrari look, or atleast thats what i thought.... I'm quite frankly sick of seeing red, white, or blue. I think your on to something with the different color shades, however replacing the bulbs will be a task. However no one really knows what their talking about on here because no one has really done it, but lextech, which is why no one can give you any factual information about this topic. It looks good, keep trying different colors if your not happy, but don't rely on others for approval.
Old 10-07-08, 05:59 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
I'm going to go against the grain, I like the yellow. It gives it a ferrari look, or atleast thats what i thought.... I'm quite frankly sick of seeing red, white, or blue. I think your on to something with the different color shades, however replacing the bulbs will be a task. However no one really knows what their talking about on here because no one has really done it, but lextech, which is why no one can give you any factual information about this topic. It looks good, keep trying different colors if your not happy, but don't rely on others for approval.
well that's a pretty rude standpoint to take, that we dont know what we're talking about. If you actually did some reading, number 1: he asked for input, and when you put something up for discussion you have to be prepared for differing opinions, and number 2: it was through our advice that he decided NOT to change the CCFL tubes or go the LED route, and to lay a colored film over the gauge filter to change the coloring.

be careful throwing accusations around like that, plenty of people have put LED's over the gauges to make them a bright blue and drow out the green.

unless youve done it and have good advice to offer him, just stick to telling him what you think about what he's done, leave everyone else's opinion and advice alone, rather than talk down about the rest of us.
Old 10-07-08, 07:15 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
well that's a pretty rude standpoint to take, that we dont know what we're talking about. If you actually did some reading, number 1: he asked for input, and when you put something up for discussion you have to be prepared for differing opinions, and number 2: it was through our advice that he decided NOT to change the CCFL tubes or go the LED route, and to lay a colored film over the gauge filter to change the coloring.

be careful throwing accusations around like that, plenty of people have put LED's over the gauges to make them a bright blue and drow out the green.

unless youve done it and have good advice to offer him, just stick to telling him what you think about what he's done, leave everyone else's opinion and advice alone, rather than talk down about the rest of us.
Whaaa? Most of the people here advised using LEDs, tubes with LEDs or custom ccfls. No one ever mentioned changing faceplates, hell, I've never seen anyone done that before. It was my idea, I didn't see anywhere I was looking for idea of changing faceplates.
Old 10-07-08, 07:20 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Thanks! When I lit up gauge first time I immediately thought about Ferrari as well lol. But since I have everything else in orange I guess I should change it to orange. But I like yellow. What do you think, orange - yellow match?
Old 10-29-09, 08:57 PM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

any updates on this???? i want to change mine to amber 2
Old 10-30-09, 09:45 AM
3UZFTE

Yes, updates would be nice. I do honestly like the yellow. I def. didn't mean to offend anyone, but when I first did my gauge disassembly, everyone was asking for me to do an LED conversion, which it look like to me was damn near impossible to get the LEDS to light up the gauge cluster perfectly. But let us know if you have switched to orange or choose to still with yellow or other info.
Old 11-12-09, 05:02 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Dyam I miss my GS4...
Old 06-28-10, 11:27 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

I left it yellow, and put some clear covers instead of tinted ones. Then after like a month I sold the car...
Old 06-28-10, 11:34 PM
magz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good work! Can I ask in russian for some detailes in PM?
Old 07-01-10, 12:15 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by magz
Good work! Can I ask in russian for some detailes in PM?
Sure