GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

toyota aristo blue mirror lens

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 06:50 PM
pardo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have this JDM blue mirror - it is blue and also wider than the US OEM one, cover the blind spot very well.
Old 08-26-08, 06:52 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
really? never noticed.. tints so dark i cant tell.. but i thought just the rear view mirror auto dimmed...
yup, its controlled via sensor on the center review mirror.

Originally Posted by sakataj
i have a 01 m/l gs430 and i thought the only mirror with auto dimming was my rear view. am i wrong.........do i have auto dimming side views too.........?
Shine a flashlight to your rear view mirror from the mirror side, and your side mirrors should dim. I believe they were optional on the GS300 and standard on the 430.

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
I have an 03 GS430 with Nav and ML and my side mirrors don't auto dim either. Mine is either broken or it doesn't auto dim. Surprising since my 99 LS had auto dimming side and rear mirrors. A little off topic, but does the side mirrors tilt down as well in reverse? My 04 RX and 99 LS did, but I can't get my 03 GS mirrors to tilt. Mine could be broken though and maybe that is why it doesn't auto dim either.
Yeah, LS does have both, but the GS never came with tilting mirrors.

Originally Posted by sakataj
mine don't do tilt either..............and im fairly certain none of the gs430's have auto dimming side views JUST the rear view. spent about 30 mins or so on Google and couldn't find it (what its a SLOW day at work)
Ok boss, we had a thread about this recently, so check for yourself. I know for a fact that i have it because i've had to fix a wiring issue just to have them enabled again.
Old 08-26-08, 11:43 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4

Ok boss...

haaaaa.
Old 08-28-08, 06:54 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Shine a flashlight to your rear view mirror from the mirror side, and your side mirrors should dim. I believe they were optional on the GS300 and standard on the 430.
i will have to try this as my side views def don't look to be auto dimming. i know my rear view is but side views don't have the tint (or dark shade) my rear view does do!
Old 09-02-08, 09:13 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

sorry for the delay, hectic weekend. but there it is guys. cant be sure if those numbers on the stickers are of any help, but thats all there was... on a side note, zeroism shipped these things wicked fast.. 2 days from japan to my door.
Old 09-02-08, 10:38 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

sorry for the delay, hectic weekend. but there it is guys. cant be sure if those numbers on the stickers are of any help, but thats all there was... on a side note, zeroism shipped these things wicked fast.. 2 days from japan to my door.
Nice... would you happen to know if they support the dim/heat functions yet?
Old 09-03-08, 07:25 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCKGS430
I ASKED A TECH HERE AT WORK AND HE TOLD ME All Gs430's Came With Side Auto Dimming Mirrors, There Controlled Through The Center Mirror.
well your tech lied.......the gs430's DO NOT HAVE auto dimming i checked alot of sources and the flashlight test. no dice guys. do we get left out of everything?

Nice... would you happen to know if they support the dim/heat functions yet?
i know these have a plug for the heat functions. its stated in the ebay auction. this is from the auction.
"ONE PIN ON THE BACK LENSE PANEL TO CONNECT HARNESS (ONLY ONE PIN EACH SIDE) FOR HEATED MIRROR USE (SEE PIC)"

still think this is so much to pay for JUST glass. would happily pay this for the side views complete and not just the glass. would think it would be the same just to tint them locally for cheaper! just my $0.02

Last edited by sakataj; 09-03-08 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-03-08, 09:01 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My gs has a plug for auto dimming and 2 wires for heat. But they do not auto dim. You can check ur mirrors, if they have auto dimming manually. Take them out and look. If they have 2 connections a plug and than 2 wires the 2 wires are for heat and the plug is auto dimming. I'll try to get some pics to show you what I mean.
Old 09-04-08, 07:30 AM
99GSThree
Driver

I am getting these as well. Question,are those lines near the end of the glass for the "wide angle" view? I believe it said in the item description it was "wide" glass. Don't know if you got a chance to install them yet,but seeing them in person are the lines really visible? Meaning does it look tacky with those lines? Thanks
Old 09-05-08, 08:48 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spyder78
My gs has a plug for auto dimming and 2 wires for heat. But they do not auto dim. You can check ur mirrors, if they have auto dimming manually. Take them out and look. If they have 2 connections a plug and than 2 wires the 2 wires are for heat and the plug is auto dimming. I'll try to get some pics to show you what I mean.
no research i found has shown them to have auto dimming mirrors. so why would yours have a plug for auto dimming but not dim? also it should just be a plug for the heat not 2 wires. will wait till i get a pic.
Old 09-05-08, 09:08 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

ill post up a pic of the back of the stock mirror in a few... i know there is a plug i disconnected and 2 other wires going into part of the mirror that i couldnt remove without cutting.. the only thing i did with the new mirrors is clip in the one white connector, sealed off the unused extra 2 wires that were going to the old mirror, then installed them into the sideview housings.. i cant verify auto dim because my windows have always been too dark to notice, and i forgot to try checking with the flashlight before i took them out... honestly, i didnt even realize these things were heated either... the only thing that matters to me is power movement functions and thats got nothing to do with the wiring on the mirror at all..
Old 09-05-08, 10:17 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Spyder78
the wiring on the usdm mirror is as you described:

back of usdm oem mirror:

the arrow points to the connector that is the same as the one on the jdm mirror. that connection point does get hooked back up in the new mirror and it clips right in.. the other wires.... not happening (without work anyways) and there are none like that on the jdm set... i cant tell you 100% which function is controlled by the connector and what the other wires i clipped were for, but im gonna assume the clipped wires are heat the way they were covered up with that gray plastic insulator piece and led towards the back of the glass.. this things not getting driven in the snow so my concern for melting ice off the mirrors isnt there... if you guys like or need that feature you might want to look into it further.

Last edited by upstateGS4; 03-10-09 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-05-08, 11:45 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

maybe.. but could you really pick up an oem set of full side mirror housings (painted to match), internals, motors, wiring and glass for $140? lol.. this is a part for a lexus... it is what it is.. "cheap" is relative... you could tint your glass blue if you want.. but these wont scratch, peel or fade and its a wide angle lense on the edge to help with blind spots. i like them and it was worth the $, to me... also, if you can replace the glass as easily as this (it seriously took about one minute per side) whats the point in bothering with buying an entire new assembly and having to pull your doors apart and risk paint not matching, etc... now that's not worth it.
like i said that was just my opinion. i do like the wide angle aspect but couldn't you get a glass place to cut them in blue for cheaper and still retain your OEM heat controls plus get the wider angle? i don't drive in snow much, every now and then i have plus some days its cold here and i also travel back up north to see my family occasionally i drive. the new ones came with a new mounting plate (i think that's what that is) right? i might take the oem ones off your hands if you selling them and see if i can retain the oem heat and have one cut for me, so what u gonna do with them?
Old 07-16-12, 06:00 PM
scriber
Driver

Was thinking of getting these Arrow LED door mirrors. Does anyone have any feedback about these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GS300GS400GS...649215&vxp=mtr
Old 07-16-12, 10:51 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by scriber
Was thinking of getting these Arrow LED door mirrors. Does anyone have any feedback about these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GS300GS400GS...649215&vxp=mtr
cool find, any info guys? i am very interseted in these!!!

Quick Reply: toyota aristo blue mirror lens