GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Loud noise while driving... I will burn this car I think!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-08, 04:05 PM
Nosexnolex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Loud noise while driving... I will burn this car I think!

Ok, so I have been getting this loud noise coming from the front right wheel. No matter what speed, it only get louder the faster i drive. Only the right wheel does not turn freely as the others, and it gets very hot compared to the rest. I went to LEXUS, TWICE... They said the noise is from my tires.... AGGrrrrr I was going to smack the service manager... TWICE! Anyways, I did the following so far...

1. Bought new rotors, pads... STILL NOISE
2. Bought new entire CALIPER, thinking its getting stuck.... STILL NOISE...
3. I changed the brake line, to make sure nothing was stuck in it and the pressure was being released.

I don’t know what to do besides BURNING this DARN thing!!! Please HELP!!!

The noise is somewhat metallic I think.

Thank you in advance…

Last edited by Nosexnolex; 06-21-08 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-21-08, 04:19 PM
pitmanr200
Lead Lap

have they tired wheel bearing. that would be my first guess
Old 06-21-08, 04:36 PM
Nosexnolex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pitmanr200
have they tired wheel bearing. that would be my first guess
Would bad wheel bearing make the wheel SO SO HOT! I mean, you can hardly touch it after 50 min drive.
Old 06-21-08, 04:47 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, a bad wheel bearing would create lots of heat. It's odd that it would go bad as these cars usually don't have wheel bearing issues but either way, you can get the right bearing from Napa, I want to say it's around $40 or $50 for the bearing if I remember correctly.
Old 06-21-08, 04:58 PM
Nosexnolex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by macd7919
Yes, a bad wheel bearing would create lots of heat. It's odd that it would go bad as these cars usually don't have wheel bearing issues but either way, you can get the right bearing from Napa, I want to say it's around $40 or $50 for the bearing if I remember correctly.
Strange. I changed the left wheel bearing. I still am not convinced that its a bearing since when I had the caliper off, the rotor would spin normally. as soon as I pressed the brake pedal, it would create resistance.
I will do the wheel bearing, and if that doesn't work, I hope the airbags work like they should because I am running this thing into a wall!
Old 06-21-08, 06:55 PM
black_LS
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

My 95 LS had a grinding/metallic noise coming from the front right wheel, turned out to be a bad wheel bearing.
Old 06-21-08, 07:08 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like a bad bearing as stated above. the rotor is meant to move freely especially with the caliper off. most of us have issues taking off the rotor since it usually seizes to the hub.
Old 06-21-08, 07:17 PM
Nosexnolex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carbongs
sounds like a bad bearing as stated above. the rotor is meant to move freely especially with the caliper off. most of us have issues taking off the rotor since it usually seizes to the hub.
No issues taking the rotor off. the hub moved freely when the pads were off. I will do the wheel bearing next.
Old 06-21-08, 07:19 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

good luck and keep a positive mind. these cars are supposed to be very reliable and fun to drive. hope you get it all straightened out!
Old 06-21-08, 07:30 PM
mellofelow
Driver

Interesting... I have road noise issue also. I thought it was caused by the tires, 50% tread on Dunlop 35 & 40 series Direzza. The car hums excessively above 40 mph, almost like riding in a underground rail train or something.

I'm going to check if the wheels are hot as you explained. But my car has only 43K miles.
Old 06-21-08, 07:32 PM
LexFather

Amazing, I got this loud noise today. Checked the brakes, they looked fine.
So I'm just gonna slap BBK on there damnit!
Old 06-21-08, 07:40 PM
Nosexnolex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carbongs
good luck and keep a positive mind. these cars are supposed to be very reliable and fun to drive. hope you get it all straightened out!
I will change it on monday. over the winter the car is going gte hybrid twin turbo with stock seq setup and a 6 spd. so when small things like this happen I get so turned off about doing the whole project and wanting to get another supra and call it a day.
Old 06-21-08, 09:13 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

i bought my bearing the other day (front right) for $43. It started making a grinding noise. I'll just have my mechanic (my dad) help me do it while we change out the ball joints and lower the car.
Old 06-21-08, 09:17 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nosexnolex
I will change it on monday. over the winter the car is going gte hybrid twin turbo with stock seq setup and a 6 spd. so when small things like this happen I get so turned off about doing the whole project and wanting to get another supra and call it a day.
wow those are some crazy plans, good luck and keep us all posted
Old 06-21-08, 09:57 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nosexnolex
No issues taking the rotor off. the hub moved freely when the pads were off. I will do the wheel bearing next.

That method of testing really won't tell you anything as there is no load on the bearing when the car is jacked up in the air.

The wheel bearing wouldn't affect the rotor coming on or off either. If the car is making a grinding and/or squeeling noise as well as the wheel getting hot (what you previously described) you most likely have a bearing issue, brakes shouldn't have anything to do with it. Was it a mechanic who told you the brakes were the issue?

Quick Reply: Loud noise while driving... I will burn this car I think!