60mph Vibrations - DIY Steering Tensioner Adjustment - Page 4 - Club Lexus Forums

Log In 

60mph Vibrations - DIY Steering Tensioner Adjustment

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-15-13, 10:25 AM   #46
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (14)
 
MrG4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: DE <---> NY
Posts: 3,299
Default Thread Bump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakataj View Post
there is a locking nut. although i couldn't EVER get it loose, i didnt like the idea of taking a hammer and hammering a flat head to loosen it but maybe i'll try it again. oh FYI u dont have to completely remove this locking nut just loosen it AND before you start turning the other nut make sure you mark where you started with a sharpie so you can easily go back to the beginning if you need

tried with this wrench we sell at work BUT still couldnt get the locking nut off.
Hey Brian, do you recall how you eventually got that lock nut off? I tried doing this yesterday because of loose steering I have but that damn nut is next to impossible to loosen. Going in I knew that it would have been tight so I sprayed some PB Blaster and let it soak in for at least 35 minutes while I did other things. I used a tool similar to what you have posted but it didn't work. Probably not having enough leverage didn't help either.
MrG4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-13, 11:22 AM   #47
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic
iTrader: (177)
 
sakataj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: tenn
Posts: 15,778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG4Life View Post
Hey Brian, do you recall how you eventually got that lock nut off? I tried doing this yesterday because of loose steering I have but that damn nut is next to impossible to loosen. Going in I knew that it would have been tight so I sprayed some PB Blaster and let it soak in for at least 35 minutes while I did other things. I used a tool similar to what you have posted but it didn't work. Probably not having enough leverage didn't help either.
i never got it off, i tried and tried with this tool and several others and finally said screw it.
sakataj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-13, 07:43 PM   #48
sam12345
Lexus Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: tx
Posts: 2,027
Default

Ha! Here in the south west it's a piece of cake. No rust on my car.
The way to tighten it is to go till its tight then back it off a little. Drive to make sure your steering wheel returns to center if not back it off a little more till it returns to center but no more. Also if your nut is an outy you need to get the update.

Last edited by sam12345; 04-15-13 at 07:48 PM.
sam12345 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 09:32 AM   #49
Behemoth7
Pole Position
 
Behemoth7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 259
Default

Just found this thread wondering if it would fix my issue. I have this intermittent problem where the wheel will shake when going over 60mph, and it feels like a shake through the steering assembly itself(aka not an unbalanced tire). Also, i feel(more so than I hear) a clunk through the steering when I go over sharp bumps or pot holes, it feels like something is bad or loose.

I took it to an honest shop who inspected it and took it out for a test drive even and could not find any issues.

Could tightening this fix my problem? Or does something else need to be tightened?

Last edited by Behemoth7; 06-01-14 at 10:13 AM.
Behemoth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-14, 02:13 PM   #50
josey88
Driver
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Port st Lucie, Florida
Posts: 122
Default

It is my personal opinion that tampering with the steering rack specs is not a very good idea , at all .
Most of the vibration problems are usually bushings , lower arms and the wheels . These aftermarket wheels are somehow difficult to balance to perfection , and the so called "high speed balance machines " are a joke . The mechanic would hook the tire to the machine , spin it for a very few seconds (maybe 20 miles per hour spin or so) then stop it and that is how they balance the tires ... the tire being balanced is not made to spin at higher velocities where it can be really completely balanced .
That is how you get slight vibrations at 40 mph and more intense after 60 if there are some other problems like bushings , wear tires , etc .

Last edited by josey88; 06-01-14 at 02:27 PM.
josey88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-14, 02:14 PM   #51
jcum9472
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: IL
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth7 View Post
Just found this thread wondering if it would fix my issue. I have this intermittent problem where the wheel will shake when going over 60mph, and it feels like a shake through the steering assembly itself(aka not an unbalanced tire). Also, i feel(more so than I hear) a clunk through the steering when I go over sharp bumps or pot holes, it feels like something is bad or loose.

I took it to an honest shop who inspected it and took it out for a test drive even and could not find any issues.

Could tightening this fix my problem? Or does something else need to be tightened?
I had the same issue. They checked the steering rack, tie rods. All the normal culprits...and nothing. So, yesterday I tried tightening the steering pretensioner. The vibration is still there but very little. I think this made a pretty decent improvement and didn't cost anything. Totally worth it to me. Good luck.
jcum9472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 03:13 PM   #52
lostape45
Lead Lap
 
lostape45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: OH
Posts: 465
Default

Struggled with the locking nut, but ended up using a giant pipe wrench the loosen it. Then moved the big nut about an 1/8th of an inch clockwise and BAM! I couldn't believe how much of a difference on the highway that tiny adjustment made to the steering. No more shaking or looseness on the highway, best thing I have ever done to this car .
lostape45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-15, 07:27 AM   #53
Gunnut
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: KS
Posts: 329
Default

I know this is an old thread and no, I haven't read all the post, but in my personal experience on my 98 GS4, as long as the tires are balanced and the wheels are properly torqued to factory specs, there is no vibration.
I've had tires installed at shops and had vibration, took it back, shop said wheel must be bent. I took the car home and checked the torque. Lugs were grossly over-torqued. Retorqued them myself and vibration gone.

Just my personal experience with this car since '07.
Gunnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-15, 11:39 AM   #54
lostape45
Lead Lap
 
lostape45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: OH
Posts: 465
Default

Consider yourself lucky if you don't have vibrations. I had an alignment done and also all of my wheels balanced and I still struggled with a vibration. There are other members on the forum that had many parts replaced to no avail and still experienced a vibration.
lostape45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-16, 06:09 PM   #55
pitchblaq
Rookie
 
pitchblaq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: ga
Posts: 57
Default

Lostape, try changing the sway bar links if you have not done so. I just did mine a 1/4/16 and now no vibration at all. I have 03 GS300 and had been dealing with this for 4 years after changing everything but the sway bar links. I went with the MOOG Problem Solver from Rockauto at 18.00 a piece. It tightened my front end so much that I have to remind my self to check my speed because i'm traveling too fast. Feels like it is new at this point. Takes about 20 min each side to install not counting jacking and removing the wheel. I luv driving my GS again.
pitchblaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-16, 08:55 PM   #56
lostape45
Lead Lap
 
lostape45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: OH
Posts: 465
Default

Will put that on the list for my next repair. I appreciate the tip. My front end does seem a little loose at times, I'll get under it and see how it's looking.
lostape45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 08:44 AM   #57
joebor1776
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: OH
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchblaq View Post
Lostape, try changing the sway bar links if you have not done so. I just did mine a 1/4/16 and now no vibration at all. I have 03 GS300 and had been dealing with this for 4 years after changing everything but the sway bar links. I went with the MOOG Problem Solver from Rockauto at 18.00 a piece. It tightened my front end so much that I have to remind my self to check my speed because i'm traveling too fast. Feels like it is new at this point. Takes about 20 min each side to install not counting jacking and removing the wheel. I luv driving my GS again.
With the front sway bar end links, did you have to use an allen key to hold the ball joint in place while loosening? I had a bear of a time with the rear trying to hold that thing with a little allen key.
joebor1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 08:10 AM   #58
pitchblaq
Rookie
 
pitchblaq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: ga
Posts: 57
Default

Not at all. The front links are different from the rear.
I will be doing rear next week.
What size allen key will I need?

I loosened and removed the two top nuts first and then removed the bottom bolt. There is enough clearance on the rubber boot side to clamp down with a pair of needle nose vice grips. Also be careful not to strip one of the 2 top nuts because it is notorious for stripping. I ended up slightly stripping the first side and remembered I had an (Irwin Bolt‑Grip) kit and had no problems removing the nut.
1.5"\13mm bolt grip size.
You can purchase kit at LOWES and other stores at around 20 bucks.
Also remember that there has to be a load on control arm.
I was able to place a jack under control arm and lift it up to the point where it aligned with the sway bar and screw the top 2 nuts in without issue.
Do the top 2 nuts last when installing new link.

Irwin bolt kit link below.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_577634-281-3...11480002581652

Last edited by pitchblaq; 01-09-16 at 08:19 AM.
pitchblaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 09:34 AM   #59
Mcon
Lexus Test Driver
 
Mcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North America
Posts: 1,019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostape45 View Post
Struggled with the locking nut, but ended up using a giant pipe wrench the loosen it. Then moved the big nut about an 1/8th of an inch clockwise and BAM! I couldn't believe how much of a difference on the highway that tiny adjustment made to the steering. No more shaking or looseness on the highway, best thing I have ever done to this car .
I subscribe.
Mcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-16, 06:54 PM   #60
joebor1776
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: OH
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchblaq View Post
Not at all. The front links are different from the rear.
I will be doing rear next week.
What size allen key will I need?

I loosened and removed the two top nuts first and then removed the bottom bolt. There is enough clearance on the rubber boot side to clamp down with a pair of needle nose vice grips. Also be careful not to strip one of the 2 top nuts because it is notorious for stripping. I ended up slightly stripping the first side and remembered I had an (Irwin Bolt‑Grip) kit and had no problems removing the nut.
1.5"\13mm bolt grip size.
You can purchase kit at LOWES and other stores at around 20 bucks.
Also remember that there has to be a load on control arm.
I was able to place a jack under control arm and lift it up to the point where it aligned with the sway bar and screw the top 2 nuts in without issue.
Do the top 2 nuts last when installing new link.

Irwin bolt kit link below.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_577634-281-3...11480002581652
Allen key was 5mm, if I remember correctly. Thanks for the tip about the bolt kit. I hate buying these single-use tools though!
joebor1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rays G35 FORGED 19 inch wheels on GS pics PR FIEBRU GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) 195 02-29-16 11:29 AM
DIY: How to rebuild your SC rack & pinion. 20k pics (well alot) k7q Suspension and Brakes 46 06-01-15 09:25 PM
NY NYC-Rays GT-V 18x8 18x9 with tires. 1500 PR FIEBRU Wheels and Tires Classifieds 3 06-05-14 04:51 PM
NY NYC- 02 IS300 Sportcross PR FIEBRU Lexus Vehicles Classifieds 0 07-24-13 03:10 PM
NY Trade is300 5 spd for auto NYC PR FIEBRU 1Gen IS300 Classifieds (98-05) 1 02-28-10 09:03 PM


Tags
2001, daizen, forum, g22002a, gs, gs400, gs430, lexus, ls430, pretension, pretensioner, pretentioner, price, steering, tightening

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:29 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2016 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved