GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

So my GS has reached 100K, time for a tuneup.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 11:02 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default So my GS has reached 100K, time for a tuneup.

First of all, let me say what a satisfied customer I am, at least from the reliability perspective. My GS is now 7 years old, with 100K on the clock and counting, and so far I haven't had any serious problems. So far I have replaced the following:

1) Battery - normal maintenance.
2) Lower ball joints - normal maintenance and cheap.
3) Few sets of tires - normal wear and tear.
4) Few sets of brake pads - also normal wear and tear.
5) Switched to 16" rims with 225/60/16 tires after bending a few 17" rims with low profile tires.
6) Replaced MAF sensor after the original one was ruined by K&N filter. Stay away from these filters guys.
7) Replaced squeaky accessory belt.
8) Added a little bit of coolant to the reservoir.

That's it. The car has never gave any problem, it still drives and feels like new. I just change oil religiously every 2K with Mobil1 synthetic. But now that it clocked 100K, its time for her to get some loving. I'm thinking about these parts, please list any additional parts that I should replace. I'm planning to do all the work myself, except where otherwise stated.

1) Main O2 sensors. I know these start to "freeze" with age, and don't respond as fast as they should be.

2) Spark plugs. I understand 3UZ doesn't have distributors and spark plug wires, but instead it has eight separate coils. Should it be sufficient for me to just replace the spark plugs, or is there anything else I should look into? I know on traditional engines there were distributor rotors and caps that were supposed to be replaced with spark plugs and wires.

3) Seafoam the crap out of the intake chamber, before I replace spark plugs and O2 sensors, to avoid the risk of fouling them.

4) Fuel injector service. I will let a shop do that. Shaun (DASHOCKER) recommended me a shop that specializes in this. This is where they hook up a cleaning device straight to the fuel lines. I will do that before I replace the spark plugs and O2 sensors as well.

5) Remove throttle body and scrub it clean. This should make my car idle like new.

6) Water pump, timing belt, timing belt idler pulleys, tensioner and crank seal. I know its also a good idea to replace cam seals, but I'm it requires removing cam gears, and I'm just not gonna do it, unless I see a leak. If I do see a leak, I'll probably also replace valve cover gaskets as well.

Since I'm going to do everything mostly by myself, I'm not gonna do it all at once, but rather during the course of the summer, hopefully finish everything up before the cold months. I'm looking to see if there are any other parts I should consider replacing.
Old 06-18-08, 11:41 PM
sUpErMaNGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im almost at 100K soon but i got this car used so i dont know what i have to change just follow what u did? sorry im new
Old 06-19-08, 12:59 AM
houstonsc4
Driver

Transmission oil flush and rear diff oil !!!
you pretty much got everything covered.

Jimmy
Old 06-19-08, 03:34 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by houstonsc4
Transmission oil flush and rear diff oil !!!
you pretty much got everything covered.

Jimmy
Good point on the differential oil! I think I'm going to leave the transmission fluid alone though, maybe just drain and fill, but I don't want to flush it. Actually the manual says not to replace the fluid unless the car was driven in extreme conditions, and when I check the fluid it looks nice and pink, like new. The transmission shifts seamless, so I really don't know if I should touch it at all.
Old 06-19-08, 06:05 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
First of all, let me say what a satisfied customer I am, at least from the reliability perspective. My GS is now 7 years old, with 100K on the clock and counting, and so far I haven't had any serious problems. So far I have replaced the following:

1) Battery - normal maintenance.
2) Lower ball joints - normal maintenance and cheap.
3) Few sets of tires - normal wear and tear.
4) Few sets of brake pads - also normal wear and tear.
5) Switched to 16" rims with 225/60/16 tires after bending a few 17" rims with low profile tires.
6) Replaced MAF sensor after the original one was ruined by K&N filter. Stay away from these filters guys.
7) Replaced squeaky accessory belt.
8) Added a little bit of coolant to the reservoir.

That's it. The car has never gave any problem, it still drives and feels like new. I just change oil religiously every 2K with Mobil1 synthetic. But now that it clocked 100K, its time for her to get some loving. I'm thinking about these parts, please list any additional parts that I should replace. I'm planning to do all the work myself, except where otherwise stated.

1) Main O2 sensors. I know these start to "freeze" with age, and don't respond as fast as they should be.

2) Spark plugs. I understand 3UZ doesn't have distributors and spark plug wires, but instead it has eight separate coils. Should it be sufficient for me to just replace the spark plugs, or is there anything else I should look into? I know on traditional engines there were distributor rotors and caps that were supposed to be replaced with spark plugs and wires.

3) Seafoam the crap out of the intake chamber, before I replace spark plugs and O2 sensors, to avoid the risk of fouling them.

4) Fuel injector service. I will let a shop do that. Shaun (DASHOCKER) recommended me a shop that specializes in this. This is where they hook up a cleaning device straight to the fuel lines. I will do that before I replace the spark plugs and O2 sensors as well.

5) Remove throttle body and scrub it clean. This should make my car idle like new.

6) Water pump, timing belt, timing belt idler pulleys, tensioner and crank seal. I know its also a good idea to replace cam seals, but I'm it requires removing cam gears, and I'm just not gonna do it, unless I see a leak. If I do see a leak, I'll probably also replace valve cover gaskets as well.

Since I'm going to do everything mostly by myself, I'm not gonna do it all at once, but rather during the course of the summer, hopefully finish everything up before the cold months. I'm looking to see if there are any other parts I should consider replacing.
Congrats.. LOL, my 98 GS has been stuck at 103k for a long time & needs to be driven.. Tranny and diff fluids as the guys mentioned is a must. Also, power steering fluid flush, brake fluid flush, check condition of drive belt for small cracks, cabin filter, and you will be in business! Good luck
Old 06-19-08, 06:33 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is the list i usually go off of: http://www.lexusofbridgewater.com/MiscPage_3

it has all of the required maintenance for all lexus models and pricing that lexus would charge. i don't recommend them doing it thought cuz you can save over 50% by taking it to a local mechanic.
Old 06-19-08, 06:34 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Congrats.. LOL, my 98 GS has been stuck at 103k for a long time & needs to be driven.. Tranny and diff fluids as the guys mentioned is a must. Also, power steering fluid flush, brake fluid flush, check condition of drive belt for small cracks, cabin filter, and you will be in business! Good luck
Yeah, I actually just ordered the cabin filter, and drive belt is still relatively fresh. Good call on the ps and brake fluid.

And give your GS some loving already!
Old 06-19-08, 06:37 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sojah
this is the list i usually go off of: http://www.lexusofbridgewater.com/MiscPage_3

it has all of the required maintenance for all lexus models and pricing that lexus would charge. i don't recommend them doing it thought cuz you can save over 50% by taking it to a local mechanic.

From that list I'm adding PCV valve to my list, something I initially overlooked.

As far as labor cost, I'm gonna do most of the work myself, so its not really a concern. I've never really messed with the 3UZ motor, but I've done so much work on my 1UZ, so I'm pretty confident, lol.

Last edited by Och; 06-19-08 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-19-08, 07:32 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

if anyone know what the pcv valve does or where i can order one and how to install one please let me know...? thanks,

this is the only thing on the list above that i have never taken care of since 50k to present 97k.
Old 06-19-08, 08:20 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sojah
if anyone know what the pcv valve does or where i can order one and how to install one please let me know...? thanks,

this is the only thing on the list above that i have never taken care of since 50k to present 97k.
It stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve, and with age it gets clogged up and no longer opens to ventilate your crank case, which in turn results in pressure build up inside the crank case, which leads to all kinds of problems, such as leaky seals, etc. This is a non expensive part, maybe $50 tops, and I'm not sure about 3UZ, but on 1UZ its right on top of the engine... Just disconnect the hose, pull it out, put the new one in (it usually comes with a gasket), and put the hose back on. This is also the hose that is often used for seafoam treatment.
Old 06-19-08, 09:06 AM
-Future-
Pole Position

I have to do my 90k service, not looking forward to it......
Old 06-19-08, 09:11 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

future i took mine to a local shop got it all doen minus the pcv valve for like 450$.
Old 06-19-08, 12:33 PM
cstrong45
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Och

From that list I'm adding PCV valve to my list, something I initially overlooked.

As far as labor cost, I'm gonna do most of the work myself, so its not really a concern. I've never really messed with the 3UZ motor, but I've done so much work on my 1UZ, so I'm pretty confident, lol.

That list does not show replacement of the timing belt. Is that a check and replace or what? Thanks. I have 102k and bought the car new, my service guy replaced plugs at 90k but did nothing with the timing belt.
Old 06-20-08, 04:37 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cstrong45
That list does not show replacement of the timing belt. Is that a check and replace or what? Thanks. I have 102k and bought the car new, my service guy replaced plugs at 90k but did nothing with the timing belt.
Timing belt is a part of 90k service, and you should be replacing the water pump with it as well.
Old 06-20-08, 07:50 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the 100k & on to 100k more

Quick Reply: So my GS has reached 100K, time for a tuneup.