GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Any Suggestion to a good aftermarket windshield brand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 09:41 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Suggestion to a good aftermarket windshield brand?

As you may know, its not best to drive behind a truck. but i was behind a car when i was hit with the rock chip. that truck was in front of the car that was in front of me, i didnt think that the rock would fly and not hit the car in front of me but hit me. i looked at the bulls eye and it didnt look that bad, i was gonna repair it sometime soon. long waited for me to fix it, it had start to crack. i would say. if you gotten a rock chip on your windshield i would recommend you get it fix as soon as possible.

I went to a couple auto glass shops around my area and they quoted me 149 for a windshield. but the dealer asked 900 for a front windshield. i was told that PPG and safelite had some good windshields. im looking for a good aftermarket windshield where there is no distortion in the glass.
Old 06-18-08, 11:32 AM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

anyone recommend whats a good windshield brand?
Old 06-18-08, 11:56 AM
dwoods420
Lead Lap

I see you are from Chicago. Me 2.
I replaced my front windshield at evanston auto glass.
It was about the $150.00 installed. I was very happy with the price. I was quoted anywhere from $300.00 to $1000.00 from other places.
The brand they used was Pilkington. It is very clear and I am happy with it.
I wish I knew it was that cheap to replace b4. Once I had a chip and paid Lexus $90.00 to just have it filled/repaired so it would not spread. Also after having a windsheild in Chicago for a few years they start to become full of those little pock holes and when you drive into the sun it looks all messed up.
@ $150.00 replace and do not repair.
Old 06-18-08, 08:20 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

oh by any chance do you have their number. i might give a call for a quote. i got quote for a ppg glass for 149
Old 09-23-08, 01:56 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a leak that i noticed earlier this summer so I wanted to re-seal my windshield, turns out it's probably better to plan on just getting a new one since they regularly break when they take out the old one.
The shop I'm going to uses PPG.
Does anyone have any comments about PPG?
Thanks in advance!
Old 09-23-08, 04:10 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Anybody have any pros/cons about PPG?
Old 09-23-08, 05:19 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I think find a good shop (perhaps check yelp reviews)that will do the install for you cheap, then get the best glass that they can offer.

If they are a good shop they should stand behind the brands they pick, and be able to answer your questions on the materials. Just ask them something along the lines of "is this the best glass you have".
Old 09-23-08, 05:36 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're all about neck and neck in quality between most brands... they're just not always slightly tinted as your OEM windshield may be.... $150 is an incredible price though... I pay at least 150 just for the glass... I guess that's just NY inflation.

on another note, patching your own windshield can be done easily on your own... the kits cost about $10. or you can have someone like me do it for you and charge you $50....
Old 09-24-08, 12:29 AM
SHiZNiLTi
Pole Position

To bad you dont have glass coverage because with any insurance company places like these below cover it through insurance and give you $100 cash...

http://www.izonautoglass.com/

There's many other company's that do the same all over the place. They over charge the insurance company's by telling them the job cost more then what it really did. hella scam, but it works and they stay in buisness.

$100 or steaks, I'd take the cash...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HgKsL3DJ6U
Old 09-24-08, 03:33 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

So, I got a new windshield today and they ended up using Pilkington instead of PPG, even after they told me they would use PPG.
I also noticed that there are imperfections (ripples?) in the glass that distort the image when you look through it, (not huge but I notice all the details)
Should I accept this or b*tch them out?
Old 09-24-08, 05:10 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

You paid for new glass so that what you should get NEW GLASS tell them you are not happy with the job Good luck
Old 09-24-08, 05:27 PM
dwoods420
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MJImport
So, I got a new windshield today and they ended up using Pilkington instead of PPG, even after they told me they would use PPG.
I also noticed that there are imperfections (ripples?) in the glass that distort the image when you look through it, (not huge but I notice all the details)
Should I accept this or b*tch them out?
Pilkington is what I have. Mine is fine and probably the same as ppg. But if there are ripples I would say something. I do not have any.
Old 09-24-08, 06:10 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Thanks guys!
Old 09-24-08, 07:23 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Ok, after searching a few more threads (and other forums) I have found that there are different grades of PPG and Pilkington. Since some people claim to have success with a brand while others are haunted by them, it makes sense.
I guess I have to try to get the glass company to use a better grade rather than another brand??
Any more thoughts?
Old 01-19-09, 09:57 AM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for reviving a dead thread back to life, but I too have the chipped glass due to a flying rock. I have to admit that it is partially my fault since I was going very fast and the rock came flying in between lanes as i was switching.

So now i have a small chip that has started growing. It is about 3cm, tiny, right in the middle of the glass. It has 5 lines and looks like a star, lol. Probably a hint to slow the f down.

I have no idea what I should do. Should I repair it since its an OEM Lexus windshield. I have coverage by my insurance company for glass but don't know if they will provide with an after market.

I am in the NY area btw. What do you guys think I should do?

Quick Reply: Any Suggestion to a good aftermarket windshield brand?