GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Need Fast Help Guys.installed Eclipse Nav...... Now Car Won't Shift Out Of First Gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-08, 08:00 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Fast Help Guys.installed Eclipse Nav...... Now Car Won't Shift Out Of First Gear

i hope someone can help me out here....here is what happended..
i installed my eclipse nav unit in my GS400. Rather than do it the way i had done before by going behind the guage cluster, i tapped the speed sensor wire from the plug under the parking brake since it seemed more convinient (i saw it in a thread on CL).
The install went fine and everything works fine but then i realized that the car does not switch out of first gear. it goes up to 60km/hr and won't switch even when i step on the car. it just revs up(almost hitting the red line if i keep stepping) but does not move faster. i have to let it slow down from 60km/hr to about 20km/hr before it "jumps" in and moves again to 60km/hr.
Can someone please advise me on what is going on?
Also, the "malfunction indicator light" is on. I checked my manual and it says that it only comes on if A, fuel tank is completely empty. B. if gas tank cap is not tight or open or C, there is a problem somewhere in the engine electrical system, automatic transmission electrical system or electronic throttle control system.
Its most definitely not A or B. So its something to do with C.

I ran the audio wires through the centre of the car through the shifter but am sure i didn't cut any wires or unplug any wire pertaining to the shifter. It is dark outside and i haven't checked but could it be that the VSS got cut off in two during the process? I tapped into it by stripping part of the rubber and wrapping my wire around it and then tightly taping it all around using elecrical tape. I was very careful and don't think so, but Is there any wire or sensor around that area that i might have unplugged or cut. Besides that everything works fine. Nav, amp etc are fine.... I did unplug the blue plug to reach the wire and when i was done i plugged it back into place. Could that have triggered anything? Or is there some wire or plug in the shifter area that could have been unplugged(i doubt this one though).
I also tried resetting the entire system by taking off the battery positive terminal head for about 15-20 mins but after i hooked battery back up.
same thing is still happening
I should have just gone behind the guage cluster for the VSS connection as i have always done in the past
someone help, i need my car to be fine....work, church etc...
someone please advice.

Thanks
olddog

Here is a pic from jwicthread i followed showing the VSS wire in the blue plug. Its green behind the guage cluster but purple and white down there.

Old 06-14-08, 09:06 PM
MR2-Mike
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn..sorry to hear the bad news.
well can you just reverse what you did? This way you car is driveable and just go behind the cluster since you said you can do it that way anyways?
Old 06-14-08, 09:16 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by MR2-Mike
damn..sorry to hear the bad news.
well can you just reverse what you did? This way you car is driveable and just go behind the cluster since you said you can do it that way anyways?
i will try that tomorrow...
but some people used the same source for their VSS connection..
Old 06-14-08, 09:27 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i used the same connection. works fine for me. did you accidentally unplug something?

also, when you tapped it, did you break the wire?
Old 06-14-08, 09:29 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the Blue/Yellow wire at the ecu. Most likely something isn't plugged in all the way or you accidentally broke the wire. Just go in and carefully look at everything and unplug the connectors and make sure there isn't a foreign object inside the plug keeping from seating correctly.
Old 06-14-08, 09:45 PM
olddog
Pole Position

it was pretty tight in there. i hpe its something no plugge in or so.
nav installation was flawless with amp and all. wasn't expecting a problem from the VSS wire.....
hopefully its not plugged in all the way....better than something being damaged.
but has anyone experienced these symptoms before?
Old 06-15-08, 06:36 AM
olddog
Pole Position

PROBLEM FIXED...
So this morning i took it apart again and disconnected the speed sensor wire from the purple/white wire i hacked into, disconnected the battery to reset the system, looked in the sky and said a short prayer to God about how i promised to go to church more often if he helped me solve this problem and crossed my fingers.
after about 5mins, I started the car, took it out for a run and everything was back to normal. Thanks God.
I left the speed sensor wire unhooked for now but will hook it up later behind the guage cluster like i had done in the past. now to wire up the rest of my speakers and enjoy full eclipse nav+alpine v12 power pushing quality songs and video from my ipod.........will take pics later of system.
maybe i can still make it to church today

thanks guys

olddog
Old 06-15-08, 09:36 AM
dave11428
Pole Position

You probably need to uses a diode when connecting to this wire as current might be coming from the unit and interruption the car electrical system.
Old 06-15-08, 10:48 AM
VNN326
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

1. check of the headunit is still picking up the speedpulse.
2. take out the splice and replace it, and make sure its not cut completely
3. reset ECU.

do that and tell me how it goes. its probally something with that speedpulse wire. if it doesnt work, try running without the speedpulse splice and see if it goes away. GL man

lol scratch that. im too late.
Old 06-15-08, 03:45 PM
olddog
Pole Position

am not sure why it didn't work for me like it did for others. but am not willing to try it again.will rather go through the cluster than risk that problem again.
thanks anyways

Last edited by olddog; 06-15-08 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-15-08, 03:51 PM
spike_um
Driver

thats weird. i connected mine to the back of the cluster.
Old 06-15-08, 04:02 PM
Raja GS
Driver School Candidate

wouldnt the wire color differ from a 98 and 00??