GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

no master key..does lexus still cover ECU replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-08, 06:35 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no master key..does lexus still cover ECU replacement?

anyone in san diego kno of any locksmiths or anything like that that can make a new key and program it to start my car without having any other keys? i freakin lost my keys and it was the ONLY key i had..im not tryna get taken at the dealer for a key..i hear that locksmiths are wayyy cheaper and they can do jus as much as the dealers can..ive never had this happen before..and man..i knew i shouldve gotten a spare..would the dealer jus make it without the car present? i have the title on hand but reg. is in the car..any help and input on this situation would be great..cant let my baby sit in the garage untouched ..BTW..its a 2000 gs300

also..does lexus still cover the replacement of the ecu? just in case i have to go that route..my car is in the garage..and i have no way of driving it cuz i have no keys..i need to kno where i can get an ecu flasher person..and a new master key..which im assuming sewell can help..they come precut but not programmed or something..help me!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-09-08 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-07-08, 07:43 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, stop worrying!

You can grab non-cut keys from ebay for cheap. Take them to the dealership, and request them to cut the key for you. They'll need your title, and VIN number. When you get the key, bring it to a cheap locksmith, have him copy the key, and keep the other as a spare. If you need to get the key with unlock/lock/trunk/alarm buttons, the dealership can also provide that.

Check this thread, you can program the key to your car.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ogramming+keys

Also, before you do anything, check out http://sewellpartsonline.com/ . They're one of our vendors, and they'll be more than happy to assist you.

Good luck!
Old 06-07-08, 07:57 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GS400RcrX

You can grab non-cut keys from ebay for cheap. Take them to the dealership, and request them to cut the key for you. They'll need your title, and VIN number. When you get the key, bring it to a cheap locksmith, have him copy the key, and keep the other as a spare. If you need to get the key with unlock/lock/trunk/alarm buttons, the dealership can also provide that.

Also, before you do anything, check out http://sewellpartsonline.com/ . They're one of our vendors, and they'll be more than happy to assist you.

Good luck!
The problem is that you can't program a new key without having a master key, he would have to have the ecu flashed. I know there's someone on here that does it but I can't recall their screen name.
Old 06-07-08, 07:59 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

^^what he said..i just ordered a key from sewell..but now i gotta get the ecu flashed so i can use the new master key..when thats done..i will buy like 3 keys just in case i lose em again..but for now..i need to kno what i can do about flashing the ecu rather than buying a new one from the stealer for $2k
Old 06-07-08, 08:02 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 4play4dr
^^what he said..i just ordered a key from sewell..but now i gotta get the ecu flashed so i can use the new master key..when thats done..i will buy like 3 keys just in case i lose em again..but for now..i need to kno what i can do about flashing the ecu rather than buying a new one from the stealer for $2k
Make sure you get that taken care of soon. God forbid someone stole the key then returns to steal your car.
Old 06-07-08, 08:05 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

i knooo..im not tryna go somewhere thinking im safe knowing someone out there has teh same programmed key for my car..once i get the key..im going to reprogram all that stuff..but anyways..anyone kno about flashing the ecu? or if i have to?? cuz either way..i wont be able to drive even with a new key in my hand
Old 06-08-08, 01:46 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

any more help?? such a frustrating situation
Old 06-09-08, 05:21 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

got a locksmith to do it..$300 bucks with a master key and valet key
Old 06-09-08, 05:24 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

got a locksmith to do it..$300 bucks with a master key and valet key
i got mine done at toyota of ontario for 30 bucks, a spare key with entry remote. my uncle works there, thats why it was so cheap
Old 06-09-08, 05:25 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

i had to get my ecu reflashed tho..something that only took like 5 mins is what made it cost so much
Old 06-09-08, 05:47 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

i had to get my ecu reflashed tho..something that only took like 5 mins is what made it cost so much

ohh, i thought only dealers can copy your car keys for you.
Old 06-09-08, 06:12 PM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS400RcrX

Good luck!
what if you dont have the title since its financed.
Old 06-09-08, 06:53 PM
CLEV
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the exact same problem last year lost my only master key and the dealer wanted 2g for a new ecu and 275 a key but i was put on to aliga a vendor on this site and he saved me more than half of that 2 grand for my ecu reflashed and 2 new master keys look him up he's out here on the east coast but thats why we have fed ex and ups looking out for you like another member looked out for me
Old 06-09-08, 07:48 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

i think the dealer wouldnt need ur title..i think jus ur drivers license, vin#, or registration or insurance card or something..something that proves the car belongs to you..but yea..300 bucks for a reflash and one master key and one valet key..and i ordered another remote master key from sewell..so ill have 3 keys soon..and ill have to look into programming the key myself which i heard wasnt too hard
Old 06-09-08, 08:19 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

i think the dealer wouldnt need ur title..i think jus ur drivers license, vin#, or registration or insurance card or something..something that proves the car belongs to you..but yea..300 bucks for a reflash and one master key and one valet key..and i ordered another remote master key from sewell..so ill have 3 keys soon..and ill have to look into programming the key myself which i heard wasnt too hard
i find programming the remote funny and amusing, cuz you'll have to retry over and over again and the lock/unlock button is needed and you know how annoying it is when using the unlock/lock button over and over again , so i took advantage of it and annoyed my neighbor with it

Quick Reply: no master key..does lexus still cover ECU replacement?