GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My Car gets stolen from a LEXUS dealership

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-08, 12:01 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racinstyle
You better get a lawyer, before those sales managers swindel you out of what you are due.

+5 ... don't let the opportunity go by .. they will sugar coat their mistakes .. you can have a better chance of walking away very happy IMO
Old 05-31-08, 12:09 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the dealership should have some kind of liability insurance or general insurance coverage of some sort to cover stolen or vandlized vehicles on their lots when in the dealerships possession. I dont doubt that there is probably a disclaimer somewhere in the fine print of any estimate paperwork you might have signed when you dropped the car off that they may try to hold you too, so if you still have your copy, you may want to read the fine print and see if you can catch any loop holes to get them with! Good luck...I hope it all gets resolved in YOUR favor
Old 05-31-08, 12:11 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Even though they make you sign a statement saying they're not liable for anything lost or stolen, that doesn't give them the right to carelessly disregard the safety of all property under their control, on their property. If that were the case, they should leave the jeys in all the new cars on their lot, and let anyone walk up and drive away, anytime they want! They need to step up and work with you to reestablish your faith and trust in the dealership, but at this point I'm not sure that is possible.

What dealership is this?? We all need to know!
Old 05-31-08, 12:37 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

1st of all.. just as bad as everyone else im really wanting to know which dealership this was, and probably some people are just going to go nuts just to find out lol..
2nd i cant beleave your car was stolen from the lot.. who ever stole it must have known that security at the lexus dealer SUCKS!! because i would never dare to do something like that cause we all know how security and cameras are these days so by the guy stealing your car and must have known and he can get away with it easily...
3rd..WOW!!!
4th.. good luck hope everything goes your way and if it was me i would ask for an ls460 and call it even
Old 05-31-08, 12:47 PM
paradox
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by igoslow
I'm not much for lawsuits either. I am going to contact my insurance now that the GM says that is the route we have to take. I'm happy with just getting cost of my car and personal belongings... If insurance does not cover personal effects the GM says he will.

What sucks is I just did timing belt, water pump, front l/r wheel bearings, f/l ball joints, ac condenser.. what a pain... And all those are consider wear and tear on my old 180k beater.. :*(**
You don't have to go thru your insurance, friend, just because the GM is advocating that you do. He's counting on the depreciation with mileage on the vehicle mitigating the payout to a degree where his dealership is gonna walk away from this with no great consequence. The more I think of this, the more pissed off I am, seeing as how you were ignored for awhile, no integrity on the part of the dealership factored into any part of their decision making process, and now -presumably after they had time to adequately consult with their legal team- they are planning to throw a minimal dollar figure at you.
See, if you work with them directly, you can negotiate the cost of what you put into the vehicle, like the timing belt etc. Yes, it's routine maintenance but it translates to real money spent. The barometer by which you measure your payout is by how much a jury is projected to award you minus the legal fees and court costs - the latter of which the dealership will have to eat anyway. Your dealership is acutely aware of this. They were negligent, they are liable, and they should pay.
Did he provide you with a figure for the value placed on the intangibles of your claim? You'll most likely be lowballed here too.... you won't be able to address upgrades etc to your car, because the insurance already paid out on it.
You know what? If you don't have a family lawyer or any type of legal representation, go to http://www.handelonthelaw.com/ click on Ask A Lawyer, and pose your scenario there, which will get dispatched to a local attorney in your area. There's a drop down menu to choose the field of expertise there. You can also go to legalzoom.com, click on Attorney locator and find one that way too, if you need to talk to a lawyer. At least talk to a lawyer before the dealership tries to make this go away. Don't be passive and don't just settle.... later on you'll be pissed but you won't have any recourse. It dosen't matter if this was a vehicle with 18,000 miles or 180, 000 miles, you have a right to be treated fairly, and from what I see you're not.

Last edited by paradox; 05-31-08 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-31-08, 01:22 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Foolishly this is something that some places like JiffyLube have their customers do. When I used to take my old car there, they had drivers leave the car in line with the keys in the ignition.

One of the key things in your unfortunate situation is documentation. I hope by now that you have at least a police report. Anything in writing that someone in the dealership gave to you during your time is something that you should keep as proof that you the your car were there. This can become a hairy situation and you wanna have as much information and proof as possible. So far the dealer appears to have acknowledge that the car was stolen off their property but having as much relevant information will assist you in case things become difficult. And last, good luck.
as a matter of fact, coming from working at a dealership, the ONLY (let me repeat, ONLY) time that keys are to be left in service cars (per OSHA and federal/local fire regs) is when they are INSIDE the building. When a vehicle comes in for service, the keys get tagged with the parking space that they are in documented on said tag. Then, the keys come INSIDE the building with the car locked and either on a board or some sort of organizational setup. Then, if the car is brought into the shop, the car must be left unlocked with the keys inside of it either on the seat or floor. These regulations are in place in case of a fire or some type of event that would constitute an 'all hands on deck' procedure in which you just run for the first car you see and get it the hell out of the building. Clearly, leaving the keys inside the vehicle while parked outside is a gross case of negligence and also in violation of some sort of safety/security standards that are upheld at ALL auto dealerships/service centers, not just lexus ones.
Old 05-31-08, 03:00 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

this issue is way bigger than "whos gonna cover the loss" its LEXUS getting your car stolen..you shouldnt have to pay a dime..its not everyday people get their cars stolen off a dealership lot..they should cover everything or just GIVE you a pre-owned one off their lot (take the cleanest one ofcourse)
Old 05-31-08, 03:20 PM
toy4life86
Lead Lap

i really hate law suits
but if i were you
id definatley sue if they are trying to give you the short end
also i hate making threats but you should tell them that you havent released the name of the dealership but you will to all your buddies on clublexus
and also take it up with the local news... im sure that will push them to get you full amount for your car including everything you had in it aftermarket parts etc... and you should keep the car
or 2. if its missing parts after recovered lexus should put in all brand new parts even if its more than the value of the car its lexus not insurance
any pics?
what did they strip
i had a problem with an accident and mercedes benz
i threaten to sue they fixed my car even though it was a total loss they fixed it
good luck
Old 05-31-08, 03:25 PM
RICHYRICH
Pole Position

sorry for your loss bro. I am in Houston and hate the Lexus dealerships too. I have a mechanic that works for Lexus and he does all my maintenance that I cant do myself. If you need when you get done with this unfortunate event... I can give him your number. Hes trustworthy and does what he says... If I were you I would get a lawyer... and I hate lawyers myself but it may be in your best interest to get a lawyer just to get rid of the hassle and low ball offers...

Good Luck
Old 05-31-08, 06:32 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
as a matter of fact, coming from working at a dealership, the ONLY (let me repeat, ONLY) time that keys are to be left in service cars (per OSHA and federal/local fire regs) is when they are INSIDE the building. When a vehicle comes in for service, the keys get tagged with the parking space that they are in documented on said tag. Then, the keys come INSIDE the building with the car locked and either on a board or some sort of organizational setup. Then, if the car is brought into the shop, the car must be left unlocked with the keys inside of it either on the seat or floor. These regulations are in place in case of a fire or some type of event that would constitute an 'all hands on deck' procedure in which you just run for the first car you see and get it the hell out of the building. Clearly, leaving the keys inside the vehicle while parked outside is a gross case of negligence and also in violation of some sort of safety/security standards that are upheld at ALL auto dealerships/service centers, not just lexus ones.
Not sure of the rules by governed by OSHA but I know the Toyota dealership I go to is like this. You pull up to the service section which has two lanes. Within a few seconds, the garage door opens up and you can just pull into the building. After your in, the garage door closes. I really do not like the idea of having your car sit with the keys in the ignition where it's easy for someone to steal. That practice should not be allowed. So if there are OSHA rules relating to this, is the dealership technically breaking the rules?
Old 05-31-08, 07:44 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Not sure of the rules by governed by OSHA but I know the Toyota dealership I go to is like this. You pull up to the service section which has two lanes. Within a few seconds, the garage door opens up and you can just pull into the building. After your in, the garage door closes. I really do not like the idea of having your car sit with the keys in the ignition where it's easy for someone to steal. That practice should not be allowed. So if there are OSHA rules relating to this, is the dealership technically breaking the rules?
absolutely. its just a shame that OSHA doesn't do very many inspections per year. not to mention fire regs that theyd be breaking by having vehicles inside the building and not having the keys in them to move in case of a fire.

Even aside from all of this, how would you like to be a service manager trying to dispatch techs to cars and they don't have a clue where the car is parked or even possibly where the keys are?
Old 05-31-08, 09:01 PM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

this absolutely sucks..... you can not be passive in these situations. you are in complete control of the situation. you're the one who has the dealerships by the *****... not the other way around. i've had my dealership... just once... mix up my car.... i had to get something from my car, the valets gets my key, and comes running back asking me to identify the car... since my key didnt work on the 08 GS he was trying to open up.... given i drive an ES... that's a simple mistake and can be shrugged off.... something like this... get your car stolen, practically stripped of your goodies... and then totaled..... you need to fight hard and heavy.

GIVE NO MERCY~!
Old 05-31-08, 11:20 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

i wonder if lexus corp is looking at this thread
Old 06-01-08, 12:34 AM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

I always watch my car being driven into the garage. for some nice rollin shots, so I know it will be out of sight and secure from the wandering eye.

sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 06-01-08, 12:34 AM
Tosh1
Driver School Candidate

Oh man.....after reading this I can feel your pain. I am a patient man, but stuff like this happens I get aggrevated real quick. I hope it all works out for you and let us know the dealership once you can.....

Quick Reply: My Car gets stolen from a LEXUS dealership