GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY Help Request: Clearing 98 GS tail lights

Old 05-25-08, 04:28 PM
jonny2k
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Help Request: Clearing 98 GS tail lights

Hello all,

First off, I've spent several hours over the last week utilizing the "Search" function to try and find an in-depth DIY for this procedure. I am a true believer in using the "Search" function and have had much success with it in the past.....but not this time.

I know clearing the 98-00 tails has been done many times and a couple of different techniques have been employed (Dremel vs. "baking" or using a heat gun). I am going to attempt to do this utilizing a heating method as opposed to the Dremel, mainly because it seems the Dremeling method just makes more of a mess and baking or heating the lens to get it to separate seems to make more sense.

I know the basics to do this, such as either "bake" the lenses in the oven or use a heat gun. I have a heat gun that I just purchased but I've not used it much and my experiences are somewhat limited with them. I have a couple questions I'm hoping some of you can answer b/c I'd rather not screw this up if possible!!

1) What temp do you set the heat gun at?
2) Do you just "run" it back & forth along the edges, a section at a time....or do you do it on the front of the lens? I'm just not sure where to apply the heat and for how long...
3) Where do you begin to pry the lens apart?
4) Is it better to just bake it in the oven and if so, at what temperature do you bake it and for how long?

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully some of you can offer some sage advice. Here are a couple pics of the way I'm trying to do this (courtesy of CL member Alexusoftime):

thanks in advance!
~Jonny
Old 05-26-08, 10:53 AM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried the heat gun but it did not work for me at all. I ended up having to use the dremel method I found on BananaGS'S DIY PAGE.

http://bananags.grantham-international.com/

Basically you just cut the space between the lens and the housing all around and it will separate. Then you just silicone it back together once the amber piece is out. Wasn't too hard, just time consuming as you have to dremel slow or it will melt the plastic.
Old 05-26-08, 06:39 PM
jonny2k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Euphoric
I tried the heat gun but it did not work for me at all. I ended up having to use the dremel method I found on BananaGS'S DIY PAGE.

http://bananags.grantham-international.com/

Basically you just cut the space between the lens and the housing all around and it will separate. Then you just silicone it back together once the amber piece is out. Wasn't too hard, just time consuming as you have to dremel slow or it will melt the plastic.
Thanks for the information/tips. I'm really hoping to do this via heat vs dremel, mainly cuz of the mess. Nonetheless the tips are helpful!

thx again! Anyone else have any experiences using the heat gun/baking method that would care to offer some help, advice, and/or tips??
Old 05-26-08, 06:47 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

A couple of links that might help you might not have run across in your search

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...at+clear+tails

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=clear+tails

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=clear+tails (no pics but last post has some good info)
Old 05-27-08, 04:43 PM
jonny2k
Pole Position

Thank you Dave. Those last two threads were ones that I had found as well during my search, but they both pertain to the Dremel method. I hadn't thought about going all-red like the first thread you listed. Looked pretty cool too. The great thing about you posting those is they will be a part of this thread and will hopefully help out those searches in the future!

I'm still looking for more info on the baking and heat gun methods though....so it would be helpful if those of you out there that have experiences with these methods could chime in .

unless it's a secret...

thanks!
Old 05-27-08, 04:51 PM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I was successful with the baking method with my Supra's headlight but when I tried it with these taillights it did not work either. I baked them at 150F for 10 minutes and tried to no avail so I tossed them in for another 10 and still no go. At that point I grabbed the dremel and went to work. Maybe try baking them at a higher temperature than I did but keep an eye on it so it does not melt.
Old 05-27-08, 05:05 PM
jonny2k
Pole Position

See, I'd imagined baking at the lowest temp for at least a half hour.....but to be honest, it's a little scary putting plastic in the oven for a long period of time!! My problem is I live in a condo and because of that I'd rather do the baking method if the Dremel means making a big mess.
Old 05-27-08, 05:19 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dremeled the crap out of it and i live in an apartment...lol
Old 05-27-08, 05:28 PM
dl5
Driver

i was successful with the heat gun, i had a 2 setting gun, i mainly used the lower setting, just back and forth. i used a very wide flat head screw driver to pry it apart. just have patients, i had better luck starting in the middle of a flat section rather then at a corner. don't worry about bending the plastic a little, you can always bend it back a bit later. i mean don't go nuts though.

it took me about 45 minutes to do both tail lights. heat the back/black side, and minimize applying heat on the lens side.

good luck!
Old 05-27-08, 05:56 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by dl5
i was successful with the heat gun, i had a 2 setting gun, i mainly used the lower setting, just back and forth. i used a very wide flat head screw driver to pry it apart. just have patients, i had better luck starting in the middle of a flat section rather then at a corner. don't worry about bending the plastic a little, you can always bend it back a bit later. i mean don't go nuts though.

it took me about 45 minutes to do both tail lights. heat the back/black side, and minimize applying heat on the lens side.

good luck!
Those were some good tips. I've been meaning to do this as well but I'm afraid of fuxxing up my tails. I'll have to bite the bullet and do it once there is more information about this via the heating method.

WARNING: I heard that your tails will become very susceptible to cracking after you silicone them back together. Maybe because the orange part helped reinforce the whole thing? Gotta pay to play though, right?
Old 05-27-08, 07:15 PM
jonny2k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kenkaniff
WARNING: I heard that your tails will become very susceptible to cracking after you silicone them back together. Maybe because the orange part helped reinforce the whole thing? Gotta pay to play though, right?
Yikes.....I hadn't heard about that although I suppose it's possible. I'm glad I have two sets of tails though just in case this happens. You're right.....gotta pay to play, or pay big $ for JP's.

Thanks for chiming in and offering your experiences, dl5good advice/tips!
Old 05-27-08, 07:20 PM
dl5
Driver

i would try to get a spare set just in case something goes wrong hehe, but don't worry man, just take it slow, always keep the gun moving, never hold it over anywhere for a period of time. i don't know about the cracking, but hey, if they crack, i'll have an excuse for some LEDs! haha.

good luck man, i'll post a picture of mine in a second.
Old 05-27-08, 07:23 PM
dl5
Driver

Old 05-27-08, 07:32 PM
jonny2k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dl5
Looks exactly like I want my GS's rear to look like....smokin'
Old 05-27-08, 08:30 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dl5
what kind of exhaust is that? My car looked just like that too...except it's got black chrome emblem and 01+ tails now. I kinda miss how sporty 98-00 cleared looks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Help Request: Clearing 98 GS tail lights