GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

removing the resonators

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-08, 01:19 PM
Bigwun07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing the resonators

Does anyone know how to remove the resonators from the stock mufflers ion a 2000 GS300... Can somone post a pic and show me where this is located. Anyone already do this if so how do you like it?

Thanks
Old 05-09-08, 01:25 PM
LS_FosHO
Pole Position

i know there is a thread on this somewhere.. i believe the resonators are the long tubular style exhaust pieces located before the mufflers themselves (after the catalytic) .. you will have to take it to a muffler shop to remove these, unless you have mad skillz and can replace this resonators with a pair of straight pipes..

anyways if you search for it, you will find it!
Old 05-09-08, 01:40 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in this picture it is the silver part is where the resonators used to be. i replaced mine with straight pipe in my last setup.

Old 05-09-08, 02:30 PM
SHiZNiLTi
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have an exhaust clip of what this sounds like when finished?

Who else did this mod?

chime in with some comments...
Old 05-09-08, 04:07 PM
DSM2GS400
Driver

I'd also like to know more about this.
Old 05-09-08, 04:22 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

wow you guys are mind readers... im actually having this done to my gs4 this weekend after i get my lower ball joints replaced. if someone can teach me how to post a sound clip i can do it for you guys. but i already have the HKS hi-power exhaust on, so it probably wont sound the same...
Old 05-09-08, 05:08 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

anyone know if this messes with your emissions? or just the noise level? i'm interested in doing this for some cheap sound improvement, had an exhaust shop around here quote me for $478 to install 2 magnaflow mufflers.
Old 05-09-08, 05:13 PM
isdjmark
Driver

Hey is there any bolt on replacement i want alittle more growl in my exhaust. Im running Apexi catback and wish it was louder.
Old 05-09-08, 07:22 PM
kit cat

what about low end power? i read somewhere in this forum that hte 2GS has sport cats to begin with...
Old 05-09-08, 10:00 PM
Bigwun07
Driver School Candidate

So are these resonators removable or do i have to replace them with staight pipes or something??? Also is it gonna be really loud or is it gonna sound something similar to the G35. Kind of confused
Old 05-09-08, 10:16 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

I am interested in knowing if this will be annoying loud or similar purr like the 350z and G35.....
Old 05-10-08, 01:25 PM
dl5
Driver

I had it done on my 99 gs300. it was a bit annoying as the sound was not clean, it had a raspyness to it, kind of like a bmw. it wasn't as smooth as i had hoped.
I put them back in when i found a pair of l-tuned mufflers and i've been happy since. they are not loud at all, just rumble when i'm on the gas. start up is nice.

i put the resonators back in when i put my l-tuned ones on.

it cost me 90 to take the resonators out, 70 to put them back in, so 160 that could've gone to my mufflers instead. i got the l-tuned from here for 225 shipped from a board member, i love them. if i had patience, i would have had another 160 in my pockets, or i could've bought a new set! haha. oh well you live and you learn.

most of the time, you replace the resonators with a straight pipe, or you can get a sport one, but that's just money wasted. there's no performance gain/loss. just more noise.

IMO, if you don't have a pair of aftermarket mufflers, or plan on getting any, it's not worth it. it is louder, barley, but it sounds pretty weird. w/ aftermarket mufflers, the sound gains are much more noticeable.

i did run around the neighborhood w/o any mufflers at all when i was installing my new ones, and that was super fun hehe, so i might get an electronic cut out soon for the hell of it.
Old 05-10-08, 04:00 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the resonators removed and installed two magnaflows on my 99 gs3 for around 200 something. As far as sound goes I've had a lot of compliments on the sound. It is a little bit louder than the factory but not like honda racer loud. It has a nice purr to it when starting and driving... it has a luxuary/sporty/performance sound to it.. IMO I like it.
Old 05-10-08, 07:03 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Can't help you with how it sounds on a GS3 but I have mine removed on a
GS4 with RMM catback and I like the exhaust note A LOT. No drone problems and it gives the car a healthy sounding V8 rumble. I've been riding that way for a couple years or so now so I don't even think about it anymore but actually noticed it moreso recently when I let my brother drive my car. I heard a nice sounding car coming up the street and got curious...only to look and see it was mine. (ha ha)
Two really nice things I like about it:
1) At WOT it sounds REALLY good.
2) When going downhill with foot off the gas and decelerating you can hear the car downshifting and it reminds you of how a stick d/sing sounds.
Old 05-10-08, 07:21 PM
SHiZNiLTi
Pole Position

I just paid $60 to have my resonators removed and installed straight pipes instead.

Pretty much no difference in sound at all

If I stand behind my car and have a friend rev it up for me I can hear a very slight difference in sound, but only at really high RPM.

IMO, I would just save money for a full catback system or (2) new mufflers.

Quick Reply: removing the resonators