GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Can anyone recommend a nice looking windshield sunshade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-08, 09:15 AM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone recommend a nice looking windshield sunshade?

Maybe something that says Lexus across or has the Lexus logo? And something that doesn't take up your whole back seat to store it? TIA.
Old 04-30-08, 09:20 AM
cptnron
Rookie

I bought a custom fitted sunshade from my local dealer for about 20-30 bucks. In sunny Phoenix temps can reach 120 degrees outside so it can get super hot inside the car if it is parked in the sun. I'm sure one of our sponsors has one of these in stock. Don't do an over-the-counter shade from your local auto parts store because they cost about the same as a custome one.
Old 04-30-08, 09:26 AM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fold up ones would be nice .... such as the wrap up style .. but to have a Lexus logo ? Iono about that

Junction produce makes one but if your not in to Vip style then that wouldn't be wise ..
Old 04-30-08, 09:32 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i saw one that has the cartoon "Cars" 'eyes' on it at the so cal pres day meet. i really want that one!

why you laughing, i'm serious!
Old 04-30-08, 09:39 AM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
i saw one that has the cartoon "Cars" 'eyes' on it at the so cal pres day meet. i really want that one!

why you laughing, i'm serious!
They already have those? I was going to invent them..
Old 04-30-08, 10:13 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I hate having those things bouncing around the back seats of my cars so I have considered these but have not pulled the trigger and bought one.

http://www.shadetreeonline.com/theshade/theshade.htm
Old 04-30-08, 02:15 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
I hate having those things bouncing around the back seats of my cars so I have considered these but have not pulled the trigger and bought one.

I used to have those on a previous car... too much fish wire, and too much mess.
Old 04-30-08, 09:09 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair

In my experience - that thing(i cant even call it sunshade) is so flimsy and didnt help at all. Had it in pathfinder for about 3 weeks until dumping it in trash.

For the Lexus i coughed up $60 for the custom-cut Covercraft. They're model specific and do their job like nothing else.
Old 04-30-08, 10:03 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wal-mart one is 2+ years old and still working great.
Old 04-30-08, 10:33 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The best one that I've seen for GS or IS is the dealer's option in Japan. It is called "Front Shade" in Japanese.

It actually covers edge to edge of the windshield and it has reserved a loop that handles the area surrounding the rear view mirror. It comes with a sturdy, rough but fine rubber, zipped storage case that is illustrated to be stored in the front seat back pockets in the Japanese IS brochure.

I have it for the 2nd gen IS and you don't even need to use the sun visors to support the shade when it is against the windshield.

http://lexus.jp/models/gs/spec/accessory/interior.html
Old 04-30-08, 11:06 PM
Lettuce
Lexus Champion

how about these ones:

or

Last edited by Lettuce; 04-30-08 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-01-08, 06:14 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lettuce
how about these ones:

or

The front windshield one is decent. It actually covers the entire windshield except around the rear view mirror.

However, I will be concerned about the side one that covers the side window because you will definitely get hairline scratches or swirls on the black window frame since pressure will be appplied to the outside of the window frame when inserting the side sunshade.
Old 05-01-08, 06:34 AM
SiccMonkey
Driver

Originally Posted by AndyL
The best one that I've seen for GS or IS is the dealer's option in Japan. It is called "Front Shade" in Japanese.

It actually covers edge to edge of the windshield and it has reserved a loop that handles the area surrounding the rear view mirror. It comes with a sturdy, rough but fine rubber, zipped storage case that is illustrated to be stored in the front seat back pockets in the Japanese IS brochure.

I have it for the 2nd gen IS and you don't even need to use the sun visors to support the shade when it is against the windshield.

http://lexus.jp/models/gs/spec/accessory/interior.html
that looks really nice.. where did you order it from?
Old 05-01-08, 09:36 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispy
They already have those? I was going to invent them..
yup i think it was an IS or SC that had it. it was in the corner in that general direction i recall. it was awesome, just forgot to look for the owner to find out where they got it. I REALLY WANT ONE! It'd really accent a slammed 2GS!
Old 05-01-08, 09:56 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I used to have those on a previous car... too much fish wire, and too much mess.
Originally Posted by ALeX300
In my experience - that thing(i cant even call it sunshade) is so flimsy and didnt help at all. Had it in pathfinder for about 3 weeks until dumping it in trash.
Thanks Guys. Good thing I never ordered one. Thats too bad cause it looks pretty clean too. Oh well.

Quick Reply: Can anyone recommend a nice looking windshield sunshade?