GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

wiper blade

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 03:51 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default wiper blade

blade replacement is it done with the hood open or closed? I tried to search for this came up empty, i need to do the passenger side asap thanks for any help....
Old 04-29-08, 05:06 AM
rocker44
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are 2 positions for windshield wipers on our 2nd GS. one is low setting, this position is when your wipers sit under the hood and you can not take the wipers out of the windshield because the hood blocks the way.(i beleave your wipers are in this position). second position is high setting, it is when your wipers sit high on the windshield.
all you have to do is pull the wiper arms up so that they will pop up to the high position.you will have to pull them a bit hard. i was kinda afraid of breaking them the first time doing it, but everything's gonna be fine. after changing your wiper blade, push the wiper arms down to have the cool look of low position
Old 04-29-08, 06:37 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rocker44
there are 2 positions for windshield wipers on our 2nd GS. one is low setting, this position is when your wipers sit under the hood and you can not take the wipers out of the windshield because the hood blocks the way.(i beleave your wipers are in this position). second position is high setting, it is when your wipers sit high on the windshield.
all you have to do is pull the wiper arms up so that they will pop up to the high position.you will have to pull them a bit hard. i was kinda afraid of breaking them the first time doing it, but everything's gonna be fine. after changing your wiper blade, push the wiper arms down to have the cool look of low position
100% Correct, but make sure you put most of the tug into the passenger side wiper blade when sliding upwards.... It is the one that controls the position, you will snap the wiper if you put all the tug into the drivers side one... Most ideal situation would be you standing on passenger side grabbing ahold of both blades and pushing then towards the roof at the same time. Hopefully one of these posts gave you enough of a visual, I know I needed a pretty clear one before I started yanking on my wiper blades

-Joe
Old 04-29-08, 07:42 AM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

should I replace the inserts or just go with new blades
Old 04-29-08, 08:23 AM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just go with new blades. The inserts are a HEADACHE to replace.
Old 04-29-08, 03:54 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i actually just changed mine to the michelin curved blade looking wipers. they are all correct about the high & low positioning, just a light tug of the passenger and it pops upwards, so dont pull too hard. the blades were 17$ each but they wipe clear with no streaks & no sounds.
Old 04-29-08, 04:08 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

the above instructions couldnt have been said any clearer. I personally would go with Bosch Icon wiper blades, best blades I've owned and clear as clear can be
Old 04-30-08, 04:55 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocker44
i was kinda afraid of breaking them the first time doing it, but everything's gonna be fine. after changing your wiper blade, push the wiper arms down to have the cool look of low position
I felt the same way too. It was like something here is gonna break.

Originally Posted by tommyjaix
the above instructions couldnt have been said any clearer. I personally would go with Bosch Icon wiper blades, best blades I've owned and clear as clear can be
Yep, the Icon's are very good blades.
Old 10-17-12, 06:40 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

well i hate to bring up an old thread but yesterday i replaced my wiper blades and now they are sitting to high.. I must have lifted harder than normal to get the blades off and raised it somehow..

How do i get them low again? I pushed down and nothing happened...

THANKS
Old 10-17-12, 07:30 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Its is about that time for this. I have Rain-x which came on the car but gonna look into some of these. Never had to replace mine yet. I forgot about the position thing as i tried cleaning the window at the pump. hope i get mine back down though :-/
Old 10-17-12, 07:38 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
well i hate to bring up an old thread but yesterday i replaced my wiper blades and now they are sitting to high.. I must have lifted harder than normal to get the blades off and raised it somehow..

How do i get them low again? I pushed down and nothing happened...

THANKS
Keep pulling on them. Your best bet may be to open the hood, reach in from underneath and yank down on both at the same time. It'll feel like you're breaking something but you won't. They just need a little lovin' to go back home

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Its is about that time for this. I have Rain-x which came on the car but gonna look into some of these. Never had to replace mine yet. I forgot about the position thing as i tried cleaning the window at the pump. hope i get mine back down though :-/
IMO, the bosch ICON and Rain-X lattitude are identical. Those are the only type I'll put on a car because they just work. See above about getting them back down.
Old 10-17-12, 07:55 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

thanks. i will try that

Yank them downward correct?
Old 10-17-12, 08:08 AM
Shoegum
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tmf2004
thanks. i will try that

Yank them downward correct?
you want them lower...so yes yank downward.
Old 10-17-12, 08:49 AM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

I got the piaa si-tech. Pretty good so far. Bought oem replacements and it was a huge ***** to try and get them in so i threw them out lol.
Old 10-17-12, 11:10 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, you'll have to push pretty hard.

I've had both Icons, and rainX. After several sets on several different vehicles I prefer the Icons.

Quick Reply: wiper blade