GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

lexus dealership and programming key

Old 04-14-08, 11:04 AM
Gennady7
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dinero718
i spoke to sewell lexus and someone from there told me that they offer an alternative to purchasing a new ECU from your local dealer. We are able to “flash” the ECU of your computer with special software that we have available. If you would like to send us your computer, we can have it flashed for you. You will need to reprogram all your existing keys to the ECU after it has been flashed. The catch to this is that the car will not work while the ECU is out of the car.

Can anyone tell if getting the ecu out of the car is DIY and if possible tell me how too?
Dinero,
You are in Brooklyn. Here is the best solution for you.
Go to the DMV on west 8th street. There is a booth at the entrance that makes keys. These guys have the computers necessary to make a new master key. I recently got 2 keys from them, these guys know any lexus inside and out.
Old 04-14-08, 12:43 PM
drewefx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is a wallet key and what is a valet key? What do these keys look like?
I have a key that i can start my car with. It does not have a remote on it. Is that valet or second master? I know a wallet key does not have any black thing on it
its just so you can open the car> How is it that a wallet key can start a car?
Old 04-14-08, 01:11 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by drewefx
What is a wallet key and what is a valet key? What do these keys look like?
I have a key that i can start my car with. It does not have a remote on it. Is that valet or second master? I know a wallet key does not have any black thing on it
its just so you can open the car> How is it that a wallet key can start a car?
If the key you have has:

gray head = valet
black head = master

basically, if it opens your trunk, and your glove box, you have a master.
Old 04-14-08, 07:46 PM
Emontes7
Driver

i got a clone of my master for 150 bucks programed..dosent have the lexus facotry alarm but dont need it anyways cuz i have car started..its the first thing i did after i got my keys when it was locked in my car should of did it before.takes sumthing like that to push you to do it..dealer wanted 250 for cut plus 100 for programing
Old 04-14-08, 07:53 PM
noma56
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The free ECU program from Lexus is still alive and doing well.
Old 04-14-08, 09:20 PM
lxgs4
Driver

i have reflashed many 01 and up ecu's when someone has lost all their keys. Here at my dealership they charge 2 hrs labor and you have to buy the keys.
Old 11-24-08, 12:57 PM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

works perfect great info!!
Old 12-30-08, 08:03 PM
wutiteez
Driver

my car is a 99 gs400, i have 1 grey valet key (locks/unlocks doors only) and 1 black key (does not have a built in remote and only works for ignition). Now what would I have to do to get a master key or better yet just another spare key for the ignition??

the dealer says i gotta change out the ecu n reflash n get new keys. Any other options out there??
Old 12-30-08, 09:30 PM
AzGS
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys just wanting to respond to your questions about keys.I am a locksmith.The cutting part you will have to get done at a locksmith because the key is high security.If you have a master key you can program additional keys yourself.You can't program them if you only have a valet key.The ecu must be removed and flashed.The ones you buy off ebay should work fine.Some just dont have the Lexus emblem on the back
You have to flash the ecu.There is no way around it.Toyota and Lexus have a one time deal where if this is your first time losing the keys they will waiver the cost of labor but still charge you for the keys.Not sure if they do that anymore.98-01gs300/400 has to be flashed. 02-05 gs300 are locksmith programable if they have the machine which i do.

Last edited by AzGS; 12-30-08 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-31-08, 03:26 PM
wutiteez
Driver

if your car is clean title, lexus will switch off the ecu free but you gotta pay for 2 hours of labor which is total of $310 and you gotta buy 2 keys ($180 each) so overall, you will be looking to pay almost $700 after taxes for everything....OUCH!!!

there must be another way out for us 98-00 guys!!
Old 01-05-09, 09:12 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AzGS
Toyota and Lexus have a one time deal where if this is your first time losing the keys they will waiver the cost of labor but still charge you for the keys.Not sure if they do that anymore.98-01gs300/400 has to be flashed. 02-05 gs300 are locksmith programable if they have the machine which i do.

Originally Posted by wutiteez
if your car is clean title, lexus will switch off the ecu free but you gotta pay for 2 hours of labor which is total of $310 and you gotta buy 2 keys ($180 each) so overall, you will be looking to pay almost $700 after taxes for everything....OUCH!!!

there must be another way out for us 98-00 guys!!
who gives you'll this info? as i stated in the other post.....this has NOTHING to do with if your title is clean. they check the VIN to insure that this hasnt been done already, as they will only do it once.
Old 01-08-09, 06:42 PM
R.DUB
Driver

IT WORKED ON MY 98 GS400 !

Thanks to farkas for the instructions and everyone else that posted on this thread!

My (Previous) Problem
I had a cut key w/out remote (gray) and a second uncut key w/remote. All functions on the remote worked but i had to carry 2 keys in order to use the remote functions and start the car since the remote was uncut.

I found a seller with good feedback on eBay for replacement keys: rocket-keys

I emailed to ask if he could cut my uncut remote key and he agreed for only $18 including fedEx return shipping with a tracking #.

After the newly cut key was shipped back to me, I had it programmed with farkas' instructions in under 5 minutes!

Anyway, if you need a replacement key or an uncut key cut for a great price or if you need a key email "Mike"

keys564-car01@yahoo.com

Just had to post this to give back to the forum that's helped me!

Last edited by R.DUB; 01-08-09 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-16-09, 03:31 AM
cpxdamon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by farkas
These are the instructions to program your key. This is instructions for a GS430 2001 car year...... If you need more help than pm me and I will provide a internet locksmith that specializes in Lexus issues. This is what Lexus does to program the keys! You probably had a rookie trying to do it and they failed. I did this for a replacement key to my SC430 and I had to do it a few times but I got it to work.Be patient and follow the instructions EXACTLY....
This is a two Phase program.... The door functions(Which I think you already got to work) and the computer to start the car.

Lexus Key and Remote Programming

Key Programming 1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.(Sometimes it takes LONGER than 1 minute,Wait it out)
NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.

If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.

Remote Programming 1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON" , turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.

IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.

The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.

As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.

After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.

10. Close and open door to end programming procedure.
hey i followed your directions to program the key to unlock/lock doors but for some reason i cant get passed step 7. the doors locks will not move. what can possibly be the problem? on step one am i suppose to put the key in the ignition and then wait for the steering wheel to adjust then take it out? or do i just stick it in and then out right away? and for step 6, how many clicks do i turn the key? 1 or 2? somebody please give me some advice...
Old 01-16-09, 03:34 AM
cpxdamon
Driver School Candidate

oh yeah.. my car is a 2001, are those directions right for my car? i have a master key that starts the car, unlock doors and trunk, but my remote does not work at all..
Old 01-16-09, 04:43 AM
JRGS400
Pole Position

i has the same problem with my 1999 GS400 the no acept step 7 the problem was the litle plastic suport piece between the power lock and the inside handle was mising,chek that maybe is your problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lexus dealership and programming key