GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help !!!!! - Wet Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-08, 09:05 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whitevomr
Well it just rained like hell today in Georgia. When I got home from work (which is about 45 mins-1 hour away) I noticed that my front passenger side carpet was wet. I was also using the A/C as well. I'm going to take it to the dealership since I still have factory warranty. I will keep you guys posted on what they say.
glad to meet you at the sonic meet last night bro! can't wait to see all the pieces coming together on your ride! hope you get the wetness resolved!
Old 08-02-08, 11:02 AM
Damnnchi
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carbongs
glad to meet you at the sonic meet last night bro! can't wait to see all the pieces coming together on your ride! hope you get the wetness resolved!
Yea im taking it to the dealership on Tues. hopefully they fix it so I dont run into that problem again.
Old 08-02-08, 12:27 PM
sck_GS300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nilesh
Lets say it is the evap box which is cracked, is it possiable to fix it with proxy or something? and can it be done without removing the entire dash. I can remove the armrest, center consel, a/c vents, a/c controls, glove box and stereo. After removing all those items, can I access the box?

You know what sucks about all this, I bet the box has been cracked for atleast 4-5 years but never noticed it because water was always under the floor mat. If I had caught it back then, I could have got it fixed under warrenty.
i talked to a mechanic at work he told me that you would have to take out the dash because it might have more than one crack, and removing the dash is a pain in the ***. and plastic epxoy would work(a new evap is like $2015.21) for some reason i had the same problem and it went away. good luck man.
Old 08-03-08, 06:55 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FrankT
I am dealing with the same water issue in the 400.

I found my leak this past weekend and traced it to the seam at the A/C evaporator under the dash.
Only a small amount of the water is draining correctly through the drain tube and the rest, a steady drip, is leaking on the center hump under the dash.

The fix is to remove the dash and steel support and replace or fix the evaporator case. Thats about 10 to 20 hours worth of work for me. NOT FUN....

What I did for a band aid fix was to pull back the padding under the evaporator and insert a tray I made by cutting a plastic milk jug, using the handle portion of the jug as a spout. Then I inserted a tube in the spout.
Right now the water drains from the tube to a rubber floor mat and a towel on the passenger floor, very geto but it keeps my carpet dry.

I can post pics later...
hey frankT any updates with the pics? would you mind posting them for us?

how hard is it to remove the dash? can you do a step by step?
Old 08-04-08, 10:58 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

not saying this is it in this post either but try look at this post

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=242216
Old 08-04-08, 11:07 AM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same problem with the water (condensation) on my passenger side, it just went away by itself and never came back...
Old 08-05-08, 03:50 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by gsCrazy
hey frankT any updates with the pics? would you mind posting them for us?

how hard is it to remove the dash? can you do a step by step?
I have no plans at this time to remove the dash, maybe when it's cooler later this winter. I estimate it will take me 12 hours when I get around to it.

My band aid solution, using the tray I made works for me. I have the end of the tube in a 20oz plastic coke bottle, all tucked under the carpet on the passenger side.
Every other day I pull back the carpet and empty the bottle, about 1/2 to 3/4 full.
It's a small hassle but my carpet is still dry.
Time spent- 1hour
Cost- $0

Here are some pics:

I cut the tray out of a plastic 1 gallon jug. It took me a couple of jugs till I got the cut right. The tray in the photo still needs some trimming.

I used vinyl tape to fit the drain tube to the tray

Pulling back the padding and fitting the tray under the evap case takes some patiences...

Heres what it looks like under the carpet
Old 08-05-08, 04:24 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

i wish mine was leaking from there. i would be able to do something like that.only place i can seem to find it coming from on mine is under the black mat on the driver side.
Old 08-05-08, 04:42 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BigManne
i wish mine was leaking from there. i would be able to do something like that.only place i can seem to find it coming from on mine is under the black mat on the driver side.
that's where I found all my water, on the drivers side under the mat. I just found it much easier to redirect the flow on the passenger side.
Old 08-05-08, 04:53 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

mine is not leaking where you put the jug. it is coming from up in the dash under the mat. i could never find the actual leak spot under there . it is always dry at the spot you put your jug thing.
Old 08-05-08, 09:03 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

I have no plans at this time to remove the dash, maybe when it's cooler later this winter. I estimate it will take me 12 hours when I get around to it.

My band aid solution, using the tray I made works for me. I have the end of the tube in a 20oz plastic coke bottle, all tucked under the carpet on the passenger side.
Every other day I pull back the carpet and empty the bottle, about 1/2 to 3/4 full.
Time spent- 1hour
Cost- $0

Here are some pics:

I cut the tray out of a plastic 1 gallon jug. It took me a couple of jugs till I got the cut right. The tray in the photo still needs some trimming.

Pulling back the padding and fitting the tray under the evap case takes some patiences...

That is awesome FrankT! hahahaha.... take some pictures of when you take the dash apart as i'm probably going to do the same thing. the only problem is that i wouldn't know where to start.
Old 08-07-08, 10:29 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

does anyone know where the a/c condensation drip line is?
Old 08-07-08, 10:48 PM
Damnnchi
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Got my car back from the dealership. The problem they told me was that the A/C condensation drain tube was alittle clogged up.
Old 08-08-08, 07:27 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Time spent- 1hour
Cost- $0

Here are some pics:

oh dear lord thats ghetto! band aid or not fix this lol im for you
Old 08-08-08, 10:00 PM
gsCrazy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whitevomr
Got my car back from the dealership. The problem they told me was that the A/C condensation drain tube was alittle clogged up.
do you have any idea where that might be?

Quick Reply: Help !!!!! - Wet Carpet