GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

98 GS 400 vs 98 E 430

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-02, 08:44 PM
NYC Max
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 GS 400 vs 98 E 430

Curious to hear anything from anyone who has any experience or has driven an E430 and can compare it to a GS 400.

I've always wanted a GS400, I've been looking around and it possible to get a very mint 98 GS 400 with 50K miles for around $25K at a dealers auction. The only thing is after barely unloading my 97 Maxima for the price I wanted, I realize how hard it is to get rid of any car thats over $10K. So thats why I have now turned to leasing. For some reason, any second hand leasing place offers much more competitive pricing on any similar Benz compared to the GS. Probably having something to do with residual value.

A Fully loaded 98 GS will run for about $550-600/24 Mo, while a 98 E 430 (Non-Sport) will run for around $400/24 Mo. Both of these cars would have around 50K miles on them. While someone I know just picked up a mint 98 C 43 AMG with 35K miles for $400/24 Mo which is another candidate because of its 302HP/302TQ V8 stuffed into a small body with all of the same luxury options. The E430 Sport meanwhile, adds a bit of a body kit with different fog lights, stiffer suspension and nicer rims but in my opinion that isnt worth an extra $100 a month.

As for the 540I, I love the car but ever since they refreshed it a bit( Angel Eyes, Tails, body colored moldings), I've totally lost respect for the cosmetic appearance of the 1997-2000 not to mention the fact the prices are outrageous.

I've driven a GS 400 many times and absolutely love the luxury feel/incredible acceleration response/tranny but the stock handling with the goodyear 16's definitely lacked. According to magazines, the GS 400 does 0-60 in 5.8 and the Benz in 6.1 while the 1/4 mile times are around 14.5 and 14.7 respectively.

So basically I just want to hear all the feedback I can, because I'm still hesitant, as a regular E430 simply looks like a bit of a family car because of the plain rims/no spoiler even though it has the 275 HP V8. While the hotrod C43 just might be too small and the styling too old. Also, how is the reliabilty on these compared to GS 400's.
Old 01-30-02, 09:06 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

My friend has an E430 mercedez, I believe it's a 99, those things are pretty fast, especially on the freeway, But.. if you should pick, ur best bet would be the GS, it offers alot of luxury and it has plenty of power to boot, I've never really been a mercedez fan though because my friend who has the E430 had like 7 or 9 thousand dollars worth of electrical problems, and they had his car in the shop for Months, Plus they didn't even bother to give him a loaner car, where as lexus will give u a loaner car.... just that alone gives me some piece of mind knowing that if anything were to happen i wouldn't have to pay payments and still be stuck without a car. As far as the 16 inch rims, You could probably find someone whos selling those on CL since alot of ppl trade those for other rims, and you could still sell them after ur lease is up, no lose situation, because I'll tell u one thing, I forgot to check which area ur from, but if you have snow around ur area during the winter, u do not want to have the 17 inch rims, im not sure if it's the tires or what not but for me, if there is an Inch of snow on my drive way i can barely make it to the end of it without sliding and spinning the tires, so... goodluck on whichever decision you make but I would definetly get the GS if i was in ur position

ShOwGS
Old 01-30-02, 09:16 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: 98 GS 400 vs 98 E 430

Originally posted by NYC Max

As for the 540I, I love the car but ever since they refreshed it a bit( Angel Eyes, Tails, body colored moldings), I've totally lost respect for the cosmetic appearance of the 1997-2000 not to mention the fact the prices are outrageous.
I've driven a GS 400 many times and absolutely love the luxury feel/incredible acceleration response/tranny but the stock handling with the goodyear 16's definitely lacked. According to magazines, the GS 400 does 0-60 in 5.8 and the Benz in 6.1 while the 1/4 mile times are around 14.5 and 14.7 respectively.
I believe you know the answer to your own question. In terms of:
1. Reliabilty-GS4
2.Power/Performance-GS4
3.Cost to maintain-GS4
4.Lurury/Comfort-GS4
5.Fit&Finish-GS4

My 98 GS4 w/ 54k miles is as clean as the day I bought it a few years ago with then only 9k miles! Uhhh, I take that back, it's alot "cleaner" now that I've given it my personal touches. And even pushin on 4 years old, I get Much respect be it pulling up at the valet or at the gas station!
Old 01-30-02, 09:41 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Amen!, I've noticed that every time I take the GS out if i have to turn, ppl seem to always let me in without any problems, and even when I was at the car wash about a week ago, someone left me like ten Quarters at the Do it urself car wash, right on the little control panel, which that never happened to me before, Gotta be the big beautiful Lights and the Nice chrome " L " on my grill

ShOwGS
Old 01-30-02, 10:10 PM
NYC Max
Driver

Thanks for the input guys but another few questions......

<<1. Reliabilty-GS4>> I would clearly think that was the right answer until we were driving along, the 98 GS had 17K miles and was about 1.5 years old. All of a sudden, when the speedo goes over 60 mph, there is a horrible vibration throughout the whole car and VSC automatically shut off. We had no idea what it was, parked it and the next morning everything was fine. Or when we were enjoying the Nakamichi system a few weeks later, and all of a sudden it just went dead. Turns out the entire thing died and was replaced under warranty. I've also heard of some electrical problems always plaguing GS's. I've heard the same about some Benzes too. For me its always been Japanese first so I would love to think this car is absolutely bulletproof. Could be it was because this particular GS 400 was one of the first to hit the market (No HID/Yellow Fogs, Nakamichi sytem, woodtrim around the dash)

<<2.Power/Performance-GS4 >>
Yes, not much at all in the power department and I would automatically assume the benz would be tighter and handle better just because of the german sports sedan engineering.

<<3.Cost to maintain-GS4>>
Definitely
<<4.Lurury/Comfort-GS4>>
Agree there too, although the Benz holds its own very well.
<<5.Fit&Finish-GS4>>
Again, I agree but a clean E430 Sport with a spoiler definitely holds its own very well.

As for the GS in the snow, been through that too. Its almost impossible to drive it on stock 16's or 17's. Either way, your looking for trouble. Almost crashed into a tree once.
Old 01-30-02, 10:24 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

NYC Max - I am a little unclear. You have a 98 GS4? That's a shame about the problem but I think you would have a hard time here getting much agreement that a Merc or bimmer used will have less problems than a Lexus. Doesn't mean that on any given car something may happen but the odds heavily favor the Lexus. If I read your original post correctly, the cost of the lease is higher on the Lexus than the Mercedes. That probably is reflecting the maintenance and reliability issue. Unless you are looking at a sport model, I have never found Merc handling to be performance oriented. Don't think an E430 is tighter than a GS handling. Biggest intangible is that three pointed star. If you go for the Merc watch the electrics. Don't know exactly when it started but all the current Mercs have a fiber optic network and it is not proving to be one of their better ideas.
Old 01-31-02, 07:50 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default GS400..

Given those choices, I would opt for the GS400. The E430's engine is a slight evolution of the 4.2L V8 that came in the 124 chassis Benzes and in the 1997 E class cars. My friend is a Benz tech and he told me that techs all like the 4.2L V8 better because it's a stronger, more reliable engine. I almost bought a 1994 E420 with 74K miles until I found out that it had a dead hole and laundry list of possible causes for the loss of compression. If that's the "bulletproof" V8 engine from Benz, I'd be a little scared of the 4.3L V8 if it's not as strong.

The Lexus 4.0L V8 is known to be bulletproof. The GS400 is a solid car. I would caution you to watch out for a 1998 GS400 with 50M at an auction. That car could and probably should be sold as a Lexus CPO vehicle. The fact that a dealer passed on it would raise some red flags for me. Why would they pass on it? The likely reason is probably moderate to severe body damage that has since been repaired. I would look the car over thoroughly.
Old 01-31-02, 08:26 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Hmmm tough choice. First some of my own comments..

1) Losing respect for the 540 cause of body color trim? OH NO! I guess the GS4 isnt for you then either! im kidding, but be realistic.

2)If you get the GS400, only get one with the 17s. I still think it was stupid for anyone who didnt get them (I paid 240-250 for the upgrade..NO BRAINER)

3) If you want power, get the GS4..Styling is slightly different, although I like the look of hte E430 Sport...nice trim in there also with the black birdseye maple.

4)overall reliability goes to the GS, however I wouldnt buy a used car unless it was certified..thats just me. If they are both uncertified (at auction as u say), reliability is not predictable.

5)Driving in the snow for EITHER car SUCKS. You need snows. I recommend using hte stock rims with snow tires, and then get aftermarket rims for the spring/summer. I know cause I have both cars in the family.

6)Just a final note...I personally wouldnt buy either car unless it had Xenons. I swear by them and someone couldnt discount a car enough for me to take it without them.
Old 01-31-02, 08:48 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

As for the 540I, I love the car but ever since they refreshed it a bit( Angel Eyes, Tails, body colored moldings), I've totally lost respect for the cosmetic appearance of the 1997-2000
OMG, NYC Max, I had to reread that, I thought you were saying they wrecked it when they refreshed it !! If I was a pre-2001 5-series owner, I'd be kicking myself, but thank god they can at least upgrade to those features. I could never understand why BMW didn't use body colored moldings (only on coupe), it seems so much cleaner, and I think the angel eyes are ingenious, they should put them on the 3 series IMHO.
btw...GS, years later you'll still be grinning, and you'll have plenty of cash leftover.
Old 01-31-02, 10:27 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I raced an E430 awhile ago and I beat it fair and square with 20's on. I would definately recommend the gs400 because for me the styling of the E430 just doesn't cut it.
Old 01-31-02, 07:14 PM
NYC Max
Driver

Ron 430: I've always been under the strict Japanese quality comes first opinion. Due largely to my phenomenal experience with Nissan Maxima's. As for that particular GS 400, it belongs to a very close friend and so thats why I know it so well and have always loved it.

<<The Lexus 4.0L V8 is known to be bulletproof. The GS400 is a solid car. I would caution you to watch out for a 1998 GS400 with 50M at an auction. That car could and probably should be sold as a Lexus CPO vehicle. The fact that a dealer passed on it would raise some red flags for me. Why would they pass on it? The likely reason is probably moderate to severe body damage that has since been repaired. I would look the car over thoroughly.>>

I'm well aware of that and agree with you completely. When I see the report all I see is the color and mileage. I have no idea if it has been painted/repaired but I've learned to accept that when something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. The only way I can score on a GS 400 at an auction is if I find one with 70-80K, something like a one owner Doctor from Pennsylvania. Otherwise, your right and there is something being hidden.
Old 01-31-02, 07:21 PM
NYC Max
Driver

<<1) Losing respect for the 540 cause of body color trim? OH NO! I guess the GS4 isnt for you then either! im kidding, but be realistic. >>

You definitely misunderstood me in this case. I think the 1997+ 540i is probably the premiere sport sedan of this generation, GS either ties it or comes in tight 2nd place. All I meant was that ever since they redesigned it, I look at the 97-00 and think of all the things they perfected and shouldve done in the first place in terms of cosmetics.

<<2)If you get the GS400, only get one with the 17s. I still think it was stupid for anyone who didnt get them (I paid 240-250 for the upgrade..NO BRAINER) >>
Agree 120%, only thing is I'm buying used if anything so I have no choice.

<<3) If you want power, get the GS4..Styling is slightly different, although I like the look of hte E430 Sport...nice trim in there also with the black birdseye maple.>>

if its the same price, its an obvious no brainer, GS 400 all the way, the price is the thing making me think twice $150 difference per month.

<<4)overall reliability goes to the GS, however I wouldnt buy a used car unless it was certified..thats just me. If they are both uncertified (at auction as u say), reliability is not predictable. >>

Especially these days, you really never know anymore.

<<5)Driving in the snow for EITHER car SUCKS. You need snows. I recommend using hte stock rims with snow tires, and then get aftermarket rims for the spring/summer. I know cause I have both cars in the family.>>

Any RWD Sports car/sedan sucks in the snow.

<<6)Just a final note...I personally wouldnt buy either car unless it had Xenons. I swear by them and someone couldnt discount a car enough for me to take it without them.>>

Again agree 100% and have a set of Osram HID sitting in my house waiting to be installed into whatever I buy.
Old 01-31-02, 08:04 PM
LatinStyle_400
Driver School Candidate

Dude go for the GS400 !!!!!I bought one back in August 2001w/nav and man don't want to jinks it but haven't had a problem yet.I bought the car with 60k now has 66k and is running like a charm.As far as performance first luxury car I have ever owned and so far it looks like I am going to be a LEXUS customer 4life!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-02, 01:14 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Real story - My friend's father has E320 and his front seat failed (wouldn't move...only 30K miles on the car)...so they replaced it (under warranty) and when he got it back, the leather was a few shades off...he questioned it and they said it's SUPPOSED to be that way...hehehehe...I don't think they knew they were dealing with a Lawyer...

After a few calls, they ended up replacing both front seats so they would at least match each other...

As for your problems, the over-60 VSC thing is odd. Never heard of that...as for the Nak problem, that's more of Nakamichi's fault IMO...my Mark Levinson system had problems too but I don't really blame Lexus....plus they took care of me to MY satisfaction...only Lexus.