GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

$5 foam tube + rubber door seals = less wind noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 06:49 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, good idea... I went to ACE and bought a bag of 1/2 inch for $4 and some change. I tried to putt as much as i could into both down the B-pillar and along the top of the door in the rubber tube. I managed to only get the insulation about a foot and a half to about two feet. I tried both massaging the insulation down and using mechanics wire to poke or push it through, but like i said was only so sucessful, when my goal was to run it the entire lenth of the B-pillar and the top and front kind of by the windsheild. It does a good job of beefing the rubber up, but i think the corner of the window mod he's talking about will lead to much better results. I'm going to purchase 3/8 to put in the windows track. I have taken apart the mirrors because there is a TSB, and i have well documented it, i just need some time at my house to upload the pictures, in the mean time i will be just checking in here and there.
Old 02-22-08, 07:33 PM
kalristo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

duude do a step by step for the window track
i dont know where im loopking! haha
Old 02-22-08, 07:45 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3uz - don't buy anything man. just cut off a small portion of the foam and stick it into the corner.

kalristo, ok ok ok - i'll take some pics.
Old 02-23-08, 12:07 AM
kalristo
Lexus Test Driver

wheeee sweeet thanks
Old 02-24-08, 04:55 PM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say this was a big step, I had finished and started washing my car and completely forgot i had done this. I started driving to my friends house at about 80mph, and the door was so quiet i didn't even pay attention to how much of a difference it has made for me already. Thanks alot Cliffud.

Sorry for the blurriness...
Step 1 - Peel back weather stripping from window frame/channel.

Step 2 - Cut a peice for sizing purposes

Step 3 - Cut the piece of insulation in half in order to fit the insulation in the window channel, otherwise the weather stripping will be to thick to tuck back into the frame/channel.

Step 4 - Place the cut insulation in the window channel, and start to tuck the weather stripping back into the channel to hold insulation in place.

Step 5 - Make sure the weather stripping is completely tucked into place over the insulation so you don't have any binding issues with the rubber or the window itself.. Any questions?
Old 02-24-08, 06:50 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

3uzfte- you took the idea a little further and went behind the rubber track. nice. I was just putting the foam into the track.

we should make this a sticky for all 2gs owners.
Old 02-24-08, 07:59 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great job guys. I find most of my wind noise is from the weather stripping track at the windows.

Pete
Old 02-24-08, 09:47 PM
kalristo
Lexus Test Driver

ahhh i knew i could use the leftovers for somethin! thanks!
Old 02-24-08, 09:54 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it safe to just peel the weather stripping? Isn't it glued on there or something?

Did you have to glue it to secure it back to the window? Or did you just have to tuck it in without any product?

Hmm.
Old 02-25-08, 01:13 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

kenkaniff - it's safe man and it doesn't require any glue or other adhesive to stick the stripping back into the tracks. you just have to massage the weather stripping back into the window frame. no biggie.

after seeing 3uz's variation of the foam BEHIND the rubber, I went outside and did it in 20 minutes.

SUPER EASY and it's just as quiet compared to before but now i don't have to worry about foam flying away when i roll down my windows. hahahaha
Old 02-25-08, 02:28 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
I have to say this was a big step, I had finished and started washing my car and completely forgot i had done this. I started driving to my friends house at about 80mph, and the door was so quiet i didn't even pay attention to how much of a difference it has made for me already. Thanks alot Cliffud.

Sorry for the blurriness...
Step 1 - Peel back weather stripping from window frame/channel.
[IMG]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/3uzfte/P2240177.jpg[IMG]
Step 2 - Cut a peice for sizing purposes
[IMG]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/3uzfte/P2240176.jpg[IMG]
Step 3 - Cut the piece of insulation in half in order to fit the insulation in the window channel, otherwise the weather stripping will be to thick to tuck back into the frame/channel.
[IMG]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/3uzfte/P2240178.jpg[IMG]
Step 4 - Place the cut insulation in the window channel, and start to tuck the weather stripping back into the channel to hold insulation in place.
[IMG]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/3uzfte/P2240179.jpg[IMG]
Step 5 - Make sure the weather stripping is completely tucked into place over the insulation so you don't have any binding issues with the rubber or the window itself.. Any questions?
[IMG]http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg188/3uzfte/P2240180.jpg[IMG]

Thanks a lot for the pics, this will be on my to do list comes the weekend, after driving the LS (with double panned glass), it 'feels' very loud in the GS.... thanks guys!
Old 02-25-08, 07:38 AM
Euphoric
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
kenkaniff - it's safe man and it doesn't require any glue or other adhesive to stick the stripping back into the tracks. you just have to massage the weather stripping back into the window frame. no biggie.

after seeing 3uz's variation of the foam BEHIND the rubber, I went outside and did it in 20 minutes.

SUPER EASY and it's just as quiet compared to before but now i don't have to worry about foam flying away when i roll down my windows. hahahaha
So you took your variation out and just have 3uz's variation or do you have both sides in play at once?
Old 02-25-08, 07:42 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

nope, just one strip of foam. I just moved the foam from the inside track of the rubber weather stripping and moved it to behind it.
Old 03-03-08, 02:33 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
nope, just one strip of foam. I just moved the foam from the inside track of the rubber weather stripping and moved it to behind it.
i tried doing it from behind the rubber, but it wouldnt go back on correctly. I had fitment issues, so I did it your method. I dont think the peices will be flying out anywhere.
Old 03-03-08, 02:37 AM
kalristo
Lexus Test Driver

I HAD FITMENT ISSUES
seems like a lil ledge you gotta shove the inside rubber piece under
so i took a flathead screwdriver and shoved the rubber back in
but now at the bottom of the frame its poking out a little...

Quick Reply: $5 foam tube + rubber door seals = less wind noise?