GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Master key or valet key? how 2 tell the differnce?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-12, 01:34 PM
bbullsj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc400

i realize this thread is really old but im having the same kind of problems determining if my key is a master or valet. what extra grooves are you talking about? my key doesnt have any buttons in it but is a black plastic. the key starts the car and opens the trunk but does not work in the doors or the glove box, so what in the world key do i have?

it had a bunch of aftermarktet alarm and keyless entry systems that i pulled out so the vehicle is back to stock but now it wont start.
Old 12-09-16, 09:21 AM
RYU007
4th Gear

@excluesive, would you happen to have this lady's contact info? Thank for this post!
Originally Posted by excluesive
BAH... listen don't listen to the dealer. they are quacks, well most of them anyway.

I had/have a non-remote master key.

let me just touch all the bases, whether or not your question was asked, it can help those that may be confused.

1. It is possible to have a non remote master key.
2. The difference between the way a valet key and master key are cut is the grooves along the sides
3. It is possible to program keys/transponders from said non-remote master key (on gs430 atleast)
4. You can order non-remote master keys from lexus dealership, they are black and a hell of a lot cheaper.
5. To know if said non-remote key is programmed to vehicle as master, watch security light - if it goes out right away, it is master, if not, it is valet (whether or not it has the grooves on the side of the key)

I have a contact that will get keys for a great price and is a master at what she does. Also, I think that if you only have the VALET key with no programming capabilities, and you are somewhat handy, you can take your ECU out and ship it to her for a reflash that will allow you to program in a new set of master keys, and have it back within a few days. Again, thats only if you have a valet key, and dont mind having downtime on your car. PM me and i'll give you the contact. Let's put it this way, I paid less that 300 for two(aftermarket) remote master keys that work amazing.

BTW, the key that you have now - is it a lexus key or aftermarket? Even if it is aftermarket, it still may be a master (mine was)
Old 05-15-18, 09:37 AM
TooJay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by excluesive
BAH... listen don't listen to the dealer. they are quacks, well most of them anyway.

I had/have a non-remote master key.

let me just touch all the bases, whether or not your question was asked, it can help those that may be confused.

1. It is possible to have a non remote master key.
2. The difference between the way a valet key and master key are cut is the grooves along the sides
3. It is possible to program keys/transponders from said non-remote master key (on gs430 atleast)
4. You can order non-remote master keys from lexus dealership, they are black and a hell of a lot cheaper.
5. To know if said non-remote key is programmed to vehicle as master, watch security light - if it goes out right away, it is master, if not, it is valet (whether or not it has the grooves on the side of the key)

I have a contact that will get keys for a great price and is a master at what she does. Also, I think that if you only have the VALET key with no programming capabilities, and you are somewhat handy, you can take your ECU out and ship it to her for a reflash that will allow you to program in a new set of master keys, and have it back within a few days. Again, thats only if you have a valet key, and dont mind having downtime on your car. PM me and i'll give you the contact. Let's put it this way, I paid less that 300 for two(aftermarket) remote master keys that work amazing.

BTW, the key that you have now - is it a lexus key or aftermarket? Even if it is aftermarket, it still may be a master (mine was)
do you still have this connect? Please let me know.

Alex

Old 05-15-18, 02:27 PM
n1ck
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TooJay
do you still have this connect? Please let me know.

Alex
I got my key from Mike.

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/pr...8863379852872/
Old 05-15-18, 02:47 PM
TooJay
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by n1ck

@n1ck thank you!!