GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

2jz-ge- N/A-T basics

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-07, 08:57 AM
03aristo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jz-ge- N/A-T basics

Something i found from the Na-T website, figure some of you will find this information useful. All information is courtesy of Bean from na-t. this is gold!

NA-T Basics

"Hopefully, by being on this website, you understand the basics of the 2jz series of engines. In the United States, Toyota released "technically" 2 versions of the 2jz motor, the GTE and the GE.... both come standard with DOHC, 24valves, EFI, etc... what else can you expect from Toyota?

The basic differences between the GE and GTE (not comparing either VVTI editions):
-Most obvious difference to anyone familiar with engines is the TURBOS. The GE has none, thats what the 'T' in GTE means.

-Another is the style of intake manifold, the GE has a manifold developed for more torque development in the lower-part of the rpm band vs the GTE's short runner type. The GE doesnt have more torque; its just that it develops more than it would if it had a GTE-style intake manifold. Hope you knew that.

-Compression, the GE runs a 10:1 compression ratio and the GTE runs a 8.5:1 compression ratio. The differences are obtained through a thicker headgasket (.2mm for GE vs 1.6mm for GTE) and lower compression pistons on the GTE. The higher compression allows the GE motor to make the most of its power since it lacks turbos to begin with.

-Injectors and Airflow sensors, the GE runs 330cc top-feed high impedance Denso-style injectors and uses a Karman Vortex air-metering sensor to read how much air volume is being injested. The GTE runs 540cc side-feed low impedance injectors (though uses a resistor pak to raise the impedance for the ECU's sake)... measured through a hotwire MAF sensor. The GE's airflow restriction is around 450hp from the stock AFM and the GTE is around 650-700hp depending on several factors.

-The heads are slightly different. Some say the GE flows better than the GTE, though no concrete numbers have come from a flowbench to prove it. The GTE motor has larger intake ports on the head whereas the GE has larger exhaust ports on the head. You make your own decisions.

-The exhaust manifold and intake manifolds port spacing and studs are completely different and will not work with one another unless some machining is involved with the manifolds themselves. There are people who have successfully grafted the upper part of the GTE intake manifold onto the lower part of the GE manifold.

-The GE motor runs a distributor-based ignition system with spark plug wires and a single coil. The GTE runs coil-on-plug ignition with individual coils for every plug. The distributor gets in the way somestimes of the turbo intake pipe

These are just motor differences, there are many little others such as oil squirters, oil feed/return lines, transmissions, etc.

Now onto Similarities:
Both the GE and GTE bottom ends are VERY strong. The only difference being the pistons themselves. Thats right, the rods and crankshaft are the SAME parts!!! The 2jz motor itself was DESIGNED to be turbocharged from the beginning and is built VERY strongly from the factory. No one yet knows the limits of a GE setup, though there are several 1000whp setups on the GTE with the stock bottom-end. Dave H uses a GE motor and ran a 9sec 1/4 mile time with the stock GE block ( a spare 220k mile motor to be specific!)
All in all, it is very doubtful that you will need to build your motor when designing a NA-T setup unless you're gunning for ridiculous amounts of power. The stock cams are roughly the SAME."
Old 11-26-07, 09:04 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no credit to clubna-t.com ?
Old 10-06-08, 06:12 PM
2slow4u
Driver School Candidate

now what the VVTI motors can you safely just utlize a GTE Bottom end with the n/a head and use it for boost?
Old 10-06-08, 06:34 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow4u
now what the VVTI motors can you safely just utlize a GTE Bottom end with the n/a head and use it for boost?
Yes. The NA head bolts right onto the GTE block. It's cheaper to build your GE block with GTE internals though
Old 10-07-08, 11:02 AM
2slow4u
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Yes. The NA head bolts right onto the GTE block. It's cheaper to build your GE block with GTE internals though
while i havent been looking long how much are internals going for i havent thought that route. Jeff would it be possible to still aquire 500hp with the na-t?
Old 10-07-08, 12:31 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem is not with the bottom end, but your tranny.
Old 10-07-08, 03:22 PM
GS300Jason
Rookie

Originally Posted by ElitistK
the problem is not with the bottom end, but your tranny.
It probably can only withstand 400hp flywheel....That's not a lot...
Old 10-07-08, 03:34 PM
2slow4u
Driver School Candidate

I appologize for the stupid questions (smart ones get me in trouble), but just wanna be 100% on this. I have possibly gotten my hands on a supra 6spd for nothing (just have to rebuild it). Nothing is for sure. so i appreciate the help.
Old 10-07-08, 03:45 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

NA-T with the 2nd Gen GS300 on stock engine internals will yield a max of around 350-400rwhp reliably. People have pushed it to around 500-550rwhp on stock internals, but I wouldn't suggest it if you want the motor to last. If you upgrade the rods and pistons to the GTE internals then you will be able to achieve around 700-800hp reliably. It's much cheaper to do that than to buy a whole new GTE shortblock(approx $2200-2500 range). Or if you want a beast of an engine, buy some forged aftermarket internals and put them in your GE. It will be much stronger than a GTE shortblock and probably end up costing less.
Old 10-07-08, 03:48 PM
2slow4u
Driver School Candidate

I just have to find the internals now. I appreciate the assistance from everyone.
Old 10-07-08, 05:01 PM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

and just for the record gte and ge rods are diff, i dont know why the original poster said they are the same, and dave h does use a ge motor but its far from stock, its the ge block..most of the fastest 2jz use ge blocks(not piston and rods) because they do not have oil squirters, also 1000 whp on stock gte bottom end, i think only a few have done that and the motors did not last very long, i think madavi got 4 passes out f there 980 whp stck bottom end gte before it let go
Old 10-07-08, 08:09 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sinistervr
and just for the record gte and ge rods are diff, i dont know why the original poster said they are the same, and dave h does use a ge motor but its far from stock, its the ge block..most of the fastest 2jz use ge blocks(not piston and rods) because they do not have oil squirters, also 1000 whp on stock gte bottom end, i think only a few have done that and the motors did not last very long, i think madavi got 4 passes out f there 980 whp stck bottom end gte before it let go
the non-vvti ge and gte rods are the same. the vvti ge rods are weaker than both versions of the gte.