GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Why does my Mark Levinson come on at full volume?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-07, 08:19 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Why does my Mark Levinson come on at full volume?

I have an '01 GS430 with the Mark Levinson system. 99 times out of 100, when I turn the radio on, it comes on at the volume at which it was turned off. But every once in a while, I turn the system on, and it comes on at absolute max volume, which is enough to scare anyone to death, if not to deafen them.

I noticed that at those times, there is a longer than usual delay before any sound comes on. It also seems to happen regardless of whether I turn it on using the radio **** or the steering wheel mounted button.

I wonder if perhaps one of the volume buttons sticks in the "louder" position, and as soon as the radio comes on, it starts ramping up in volume?

Has anyone seen this?

Leon
Old 11-22-07, 08:47 AM
tomtsops
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
I have an '01 GS430 with the Mark Levinson system. 99 times out of 100, when I turn the radio on, it comes on at the volume at which it was turned off. But every once in a while, I turn the system on, and it comes on at absolute max volume, which is enough to scare anyone to death, if not to deafen them.

I noticed that at those times, there is a longer than usual delay before any sound comes on. It also seems to happen regardless of whether I turn it on using the radio **** or the steering wheel mounted button.

I wonder if perhaps one of the volume buttons sticks in the "louder" position, and as soon as the radio comes on, it starts ramping up in volume?

Has anyone seen this?

Leon
Hmmmm, I too have a Mark Levinson system, however I've never experienced what you're describing...
Old 12-06-07, 11:31 AM
BiGRiGNiG
Rookie

I have this same issue in my 01 GS430 - there is a TSB (AU001-01) for it. PM me and I'll send you the PDF for it. I am out of warranty but may see if a local dealer can help me out anyway...
Old 12-06-07, 12:39 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check where the "Set" is set to, its possible its all the way loud and u hit it by mistake? never know tho
Old 12-06-07, 12:45 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by excluesive
check where the "Set" is set to, its possible its all the way loud and u hit it by mistake? never know tho

good point, i have mine on the steering wheel set to almost zero and use it as a "mute" function... its possible that you could be tripping this when you turn it on from the radio and its making it turn up to that pre programmed volume.... but the one guy also says theres a TSB so who knows.
Old 12-06-07, 01:02 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

funny thing when i first picked up my car i was driving home back to nyc from chicago, it was about 2:30AM, pitch black just listening to a cd..... said hey, whats this button do?

pressed it......

HOLY SHiznit WHAT THE !!!!!! Is THAT!

did u know whoever had it had "set" at like 90% volume... scariest **** when ur in the middle of no where
Old 12-06-07, 05:30 PM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

same thing happens in my '01..scares the crap out of me and my passengers.
Old 12-07-07, 03:28 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, Lexus fixed the ML amp in '02 because of several issues. There are part # for the revised unit floating around here somehwere.
Old 12-07-07, 05:45 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, good to see that I am not insane or imagining things . I'll check to see if it's the "set" button issue, but I suspect that it is what is addressed by the TSB (AU001-01 = "Audio system goes to maximum volume by itself"), which involves amp replacement.

I'll try my local dealer (South Bay Lexus), though they are usually not all that generous in doing out of warranty work for free . At least that is my prior experience with them.

Leon
Old 12-08-07, 12:36 AM
DangGS3
Pole Position

lol that sucks man. sorry it was just funny when i read it
Old 12-09-07, 04:34 PM
jlee804
Rookie

i have that same issue with my 01 430. i have notice at times when it happens i will check my audio settings and see where the bass, treble, etc. settings are. if the green lines are not on the screen then i just turn off the radio. after i restart my car or turn the ingition off then on the radio is normal again. the set button my car will also trigger the volume to go full blast, cause i know i have set the volume to very low.
i would be interested to know if your lexus dealers fixes/replaces the amp for you under the tsb.

jerry
Old 12-09-07, 11:02 PM
Chris4.3
Lead Lap

Wow. The volume maxes out at least once a week in my '01. Forget about getting a cup of coffee after that.
Old 01-15-08, 07:24 PM
ataie
Driver School Candidate

just bought a 01 GS430 with exact same problem. The sound works off and on, usually not in the morning while cold outside. then.... when working, the center amp pops pretty loud out of nowhere. It seems the amp may be blow as well.

I've ordered a used amp which I'll replace, but what about the amp? how do I get that out? this is the Mark Levinson system and looking in the trunk the amp has to come out from the inside of the car. anyone knows how without damaging the rear cover. thanks
Old 01-15-08, 07:58 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by excluesive
How do you set the "SET" button?

I have an 01 GS430 and turned off the ASL but seems at times to go lower and back to whatever volume it is set at. Like if the ASL was still enabled. It's not a big defference in volume but noticably enough for me.

Does anyone have a DIY to hook up a JL 300/4 still keeping the all functions/steering wheel functions on an 01 430 Navi/ML? I've seen some diagrams around and can't remember if that applied to my particular model. Just have the amp laying around and if the time did come where I had to replace the amp I sure would like to have the info. at my finger tips.
Old 01-16-08, 12:48 PM
barry gershinzo
Rookie

same problem,blasting and then nothing, the amps were bad, found a replacement on ebay at areasonable price good luck ,best bet is to turn if off when u leave the car.

Quick Reply: Why does my Mark Levinson come on at full volume?