GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

? regarding HIDs on a 02 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 11:04 PM
gsAndrew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? regarding HIDs on a 02 GS300

Hey guys,

I'm new to these forums (as in second post) and I'm also currently the (newly) recent owner of a 2002 Lexus GS300. I just have a quick question regarding the headlights/fog lights of my car, in terms of being able to use HIDs.

From what I've heard/read/know so far, is it true that only some GS300's can switch to HIDs, depending on if your car has the package installed? I'm currently running on just about stock everything except for the l-tuned body kit, and I'm almost 100% sure that my headlights don't support HIDs.

In short;
I'd like to be able to convert my headlights to HIDs, including the DRLs and fog lights, and would just like to have a few pointers as to which direction I should take a step in to get these accomplished.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 02-19-10, 11:42 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

You can buy a conversion kit for all the lights, however putting them in the non HID headlights makes the light go all over the place. Without the HID reflector bowl, you wont get a great output and you'll be blinding all oncoming traffic.
Old 02-19-10, 11:46 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

and the other option is to buy a set of HID housings and apparently theres a wiring kit for the swap, but you lose the auto-leveling.
Old 02-20-10, 09:04 AM
maivision
Driver School Candidate

gsAndrew- You can buy Hid kits and just adjust it to aim lower, same goes as the fog lights. I just adjusted both low beam and fog lights yesterday and before that never got flashed . Keep in mind the higher the kelvin the lower the visibility.
Old 02-20-10, 01:12 PM
BigClexus
Rookie

Im in the same boat as you. Just a few mods and I want to bring the car into the 21st century, but still have money for the next car. I bought a 9006 6000k HID kit from ddmtuning.com. Huge improvement over halogen bulbs, the beam pattern is a little bit interesting, but definitely a huge improvement. I can only imagine how it would look if I did the fogs also. For $45 you cant go wrong. Any other way will take too long and cost too much IMHO. I also got some awesome led bulbs off ebay for the running lights and license plate lights.
Old 02-20-10, 04:01 PM
gsAndrew
Driver School Candidate

First off, thanks for all the input and advice you guys have given me. i really appreciate you taking your time out to help and explain these things to a newbie like me.. haha.

So basically from what I gathered from what Mr Jokster said (correct me if I'm wrong), is that there is no "perfect" way to switch over to HIDs. I basically gain one and lose one if I do decide to do so.. right?

maivision, if I do decide to go that route, will it work almost as if it were normal? What I mean to say is how much would that affect visibility?

BigClexus, I'm going to have to check that out. But 45$ for a 6000k HID kit sounds a little too cheap almost, at least from what I've seen.
Old 02-20-10, 09:23 PM
maivision
Driver School Candidate

your Visibility will be increase instantly, Just be sure to adjust them.
Old 02-21-10, 05:55 AM
BigClexus
Rookie

Cheep HIDs... That's exactly what I thought before I bought them, but 5 of my friends got them them and I have had them for a few months. No major problems as of yet. The $30 kit (+15 shipping) uses larger ballasts, but the same bulbs as the $60 kit. The balasts are little bit big and take some engineering to install, but they are well worth the price savings. IMHO. They use the clear HID bulbs like high end OEM... not painted blue like the ebay ones. The wiring is fully weather stripped going all ways and at all connections (there are a ton of connections on aftermarket HID kits). BEST OF ALL... they have a lifetime warranty! You can buy the expensive ones, but lets take photos and compare the differences. I have a feeling that all of them are made in the same factory in China.

No perfect way: Yeah that's right. As I said, if you can be happy with a slightly incorrect beam pattern, you are way ahead of the game at $45 or $<100 for an HID kit and 20 minutes of work. Good luck bro!

BTW... Problem on any HID kit... You will need the balast. They only come with double sided tape to secure them, but from experience they need more than that. Im going to research a better method to secure them and will report back. Until then zip tie like crazy to prevent anything from going into the motor.

Last edited by BigClexus; 02-21-10 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-21-10, 08:28 AM
maivision
Driver School Candidate

BigClexus- I am assuming you bought there raptor kits right? The reason they are so cheap is because the are magnetic ballast not digital they will work for a few month , but eventually will give out.As for the bulb you would see a color different but you will see a a life span difference. Magnetic ballast have a big magnetic board with in the ballast which cause interference with the cars radio and will make the bulb blow
Old 02-21-10, 08:59 AM
maivision
Driver School Candidate

****BigClexus- I am not trying to argue with you bro. I am assuming you bought there raptor kits right? The reason they are so cheap is because the are magnetic ballast not digital they will work for a few month , but eventually will give out. As for the bulb you would see a color different but you will see a a life span difference, The bulb will start to fade from there original color in a short period of time.

Magnetic ballast have a big magnetic board with in the ballast which cause interference with the cars radio and will make the bulb blow. Magnetic ballast are also direct current which throw constant power to the ballast to the bulb causing it to go out. Digital ballast weight less and are slimmer than magnetic ballast because it does not have the magnetic board. It has a digital chip which cause the ballast to throw out the right amount of current to power the bulb. They're is allot that goes in to make a good kit. Just Google DDM Tunning raptor kits and you will see all the issue people have. I sell Kit here in Chicago For $79.99 for a premium slim digital kit and have had a two customer back to me One needed a relay harness because of his DRL. The other needed it for warning canceler, Which trick the computer in to thinking the kits is running at it oem 55w bulb. Just like rims would you go buy some pep boy rims or go buy some rims that have been well built*****
Old 02-21-10, 01:47 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Just one thing cause I'm in a hurry the double sided tape works PERFECT if dont right. Alcohol the impact bar to death and that tape will stick to anything! All of mine have been on for over 2 years now with no problems, my other car for about 5 years. First time I just swiped it with a wet cloth and yup, they fell off. Alcohol is much needed for this mounting... and yes they have the big ballasts, well not my lex, my other car does.
Old 02-21-10, 08:04 PM
BigClexus
Rookie

Maivision - Well, magnetic or not I have a lifetime warranty... how about you? I honestly think you are just trying to justify your spending $300 on something that does the exact same thing as mine.

Radio interference? Absolutely none.

Relay harness? Not on this car unless you are doing high beams which I would not use HID for anyways.

Bulbs? WTF are you talking about the DDM bulbs are NOT painted like the other ones. NOT painted is the only way to go. Painted is like the cheapo china bulbs on ebay.

I really hate this forum intensely!
Old 02-21-10, 08:12 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BigClexus

I really hate this forum intensely!
Dude, please dont hate this forum because of one disagreement. Its an insult to great members [like myself ] theres a LOT of good in here, you're still new so give it a chance I got VERY frustrated, as it seems you are, when I first joined cause I got a lot of poo from people, but as I started to understand people and their ways, I was able to connect and get a lot from here. Also remember you're "debating" with another new member, so an even bigger reason to not judge this forum by a new member. Just let bygones be bygones I had a issue with another person in a topic, so I just stopped looking in that topic works pretty well

also, I'm sure once the administrators get on, if a debate is big enough, they'll close the topic or delete replies (a great part of Club Lexus) so yea, give it a chance

oh and there are a LOT of morons in every forum out there (not pointing anyone out in here at all) its just something we all have to deal with on the internet
Old 02-21-10, 09:23 PM
BigClexus
Rookie

Mr Jokster - I didn't mean to hate on the forum, just the bad experiences I have had on here. 100% I have to thank so many people on here for such great advice! LOL when a thread gets more than 10 posts long I think it should be required that we go back and read the original post before posting
Old 02-21-10, 09:46 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have HID's that I bought on Ebay. Ballasts and bulbs. And I put them into a car with the stock non HID housings. I don't blind anyone and only cost me 50.00. Been in there since Oct of 08, no issues with the bulbs or ballasts. Whoever says you need special housings is wrong. Lifetime as well on the ballasts. Bulbs are only 25.00 to replace.

Quick Reply: ? regarding HIDs on a 02 GS300