GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Drivers door MPX

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 12:59 PM
Benchwrnch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers door MPX

I have a '01 GS that has an issue with the drivers window.
The automatic feature finally quit. In other words, "window, no workie".

The symptoms are this; The window had an intermittent glitch where the window but only 3/4 way down then stop (used auto down). Then if the down button was pressed again, nothing. However when pressing "up", the window would complete the down cycle! The window would not raise unless I let it "rest" for a brief moment.

Any one have a simillar issue?

On the flip side, if anyone has a shop manual or knows how to rule out the window motor, I'd appriciate any info.
I was looking for an Ohm value for the yellow, red, green wires that control the window motor itself.

Thanks.

Last edited by Benchwrnch; 08-09-07 at 01:56 PM. Reason: added info
Old 08-09-07, 10:22 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes I have that same issue with mine, and only the driver's window too. I have had that problem for the longest time now. I usually leave mine up all the time but sometimes if I roll it down, it doesn't go back up. Other times, it works fine. I have been meaning to take it to the dealer since it still has the warranty.
Old 08-10-07, 01:46 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

What I want to know is what is MPX?
Old 08-10-07, 05:28 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Benchwrnch
I have a '01 GS that has an issue with the drivers window.
The automatic feature finally quit. In other words, "window, no workie".

The symptoms are this; The window had an intermittent glitch where the window but only 3/4 way down then stop (used auto down). Then if the down button was pressed again, nothing. However when pressing "up", the window would complete the down cycle! The window would not raise unless I let it "rest" for a brief moment.

Any one have a simillar issue?

On the flip side, if anyone has a shop manual or knows how to rule out the window motor, I'd appriciate any info.
I was looking for an Ohm value for the yellow, red, green wires that control the window motor itself.

Thanks.
Do a search on window actuator. This problem commonly occurs on the GS among other models of Lexus. Typically acting up during hot weather but can occur at other times as well.
Old 08-10-07, 09:11 AM
Benchwrnch
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info, I asked around for a price at the local stealership , they want $414 for just the motor, online I was able to shave off only $80.

I'm thinking that it's the motor but I'd just be throwing parts at it and I have no idea how difficult it would be to R&R the motor.
I had the door panel off yesterday and find the switch working, the MPX doing it's job, when I ran an ohm meter across the motor I only got 3 ohms so I am stumped!

Will try a search here regarding the actuator but isn't that the glass frame that scisor lifts the glass?
Old 08-10-07, 09:36 AM
Benchwrnch
Driver School Candidate

BTW, one time only (yesterday) when the "up" button was pressed for the drivers window to go up, the glass went up a few inches, then went right back down!
This morning, tried it again but all it does is draw current and cycle the mpx box. (both directions, up and down) so it seems the switch is doing it's job along with the mpx, but not the glass motor.
Has anyone replaced their window motor before and might be able to give a heads-up?
Thanks,
D.
Old 08-10-07, 09:42 AM
Benchwrnch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mEx_lEx
Yes I have that same issue with mine, and only the driver's window too. I have had that problem for the longest time now. I usually leave mine up all the time but sometimes if I roll it down, it doesn't go back up. Other times, it works fine. I have been meaning to take it to the dealer since it still has the warranty.
You better take it in while under warranty, I found the motor itself to be over $400!
I'm over the 5 year/60K mile mark so it's not covered, that's why I'm asking around for info.

Also, If you got tinted windows, make sure they cover the film on the glass so they dont scratch it all up, when I took my door apart yesterday I saw how easy it would be to scrach it up.
Old 08-10-07, 09:57 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Sounds like a Regulator problem to me. The symptoms of the window acting strange could definitely be signs that the regulator is on it's last legs. My advice: leave the window up and DON'T TOUCH IT. You could be fiddling with it when the regulator decides to give and you'll be stuck with a window in the down position. Oh... and either get the parts to fix it, or go get it fixed... STAT.
Old 08-10-07, 10:11 AM
Benchwrnch
Driver School Candidate

is the regulator attached to the motor assembly?
Old 08-10-07, 12:53 PM
Benchwrnch
Driver School Candidate

Just a follow up,

I just removed the window motor and actuator
The actuator seems to be straight but a slight resistance in the posistion where the window glass rests in the down postiston.
I then pluged the motor in the harness and it seems to function in the down posistion just fine, however in the "up posistion it doesn't move however in the "auto up" it revs for just a second then stops, and will repeat this momentary revolution and stop each time the auto up feature is selected, however the "up" feature is not functioning.
Just wanted to let you guys know where I was at before I went ahead and purchaced a replacement motor as now I'm not sure what gives.
Any thoughts other than taking it in to the stealership?
Old 08-10-07, 12:56 PM
Benchwrnch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KnightRidr
What I want to know is what is MPX?
Its a "computer" type box that has a 3 harnesses and a gazillion wires plugged into it.
It's located in each door that contains relays and monitors voltages .

I originally thought that's what was bad but it seems to function fine.
Old 08-10-07, 03:49 PM
Benchwrnch
Driver School Candidate

checked switch- Good, voltage present.
checked actuator- smooth, regreased.
checked motor - only functions properly one direction.
Ordered new motor assy. Local stealership= $497.00
Online =$330.00
Praise the Lord, Mission accomplished!
Ok, what's next?