GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Junction Produce Body Kit GS300 GS400 Installation Pointers

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-07, 08:10 PM
DCMango
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Junction Produce Body Kit GS300 GS400 Installation Pointers

Junction Produce GS300 GS400 Installation Pointers

We have been installing a Junction Produce Body Kit on a GS300, with some of the problems/lessons we've learned, I am hoping this post will help answer some questions other people may have in regards to the correct installation instrustions/procedures of the body kit. I am trying very hard to stay away from making this post seem 'commercial', but since this is our first JP kit that we've installed and without proper instructions, I have personally learned A LOT on the ins and outs of the install. I plan, not to benefit me, but the members of CL, put up what we've learned that needs to be done in order to have the installation 100% right. There's not too much, overall, it's a fairly straight forward install, there are a few things that does need to be addressed.

1. Stock rocker panel cladding should remain on the vehicle with the JP side skirts installed over. There's less the a 1/8 inch gap in which without the rocker panel cladding in place, but with a screw holding, it looks COMPLETELY normal. I believe this can be very easily overlooked, as the JP sides skirts still looks normal when installed without the rocker panel cladding.

2. Being told after the install does NOT help the fact that there are defects with the JP door caps. Roman informed me after we had already painted and installed the door caps that he has read somewhere that the JP door caps has a known problem of hitting where the front door meets the rear door. THIS IS COMPLETELY TRUE!!!!!! For those that have purchased a JP kit and ready to install, BE SURE to NOTIFY the installing body shop of this problem. It's a VERY easy problem to overcome before paint. The 'defect' is so small that you really would not be able to see or at times even feel it, but it's there. A fraction of a fraction of a fraction of either the front or rear door cap needs to be sanded down and the problem is then FIXED.

3. The only other problem that we encountered with the install of the JP kit, again has to do with the actual door caps. The chrome trim of the stock USDM door caps are held in place by a set of push clips that not only hold the chrome trim in place, but also pushes further in into the door (how it attaches from factory). The chrome trim has a groove where the factory door caps sit (please refer to picture #1). If the JP door caps and or the USDM chrome trim groove aren’t trimmed, the door cap will stick out about 1/8” (picture #2 and #3), which again, looks completely normal (completely even through out the door caps). If either one’s trimmed, the door cap will actually sit flush with the chrome strip (picture #4 and #5). Not sure if there’s a right or wrong way to do this, but both looks just as good, but personally, I would select for the door caps to sit flush with the chrome trim.

Picture #1 -

Picture #2 -

Picture #3 -

Picture #4 -

Picture #5 -

I hope mods and admin do not take this as a commercial post, but I am trying to share our experiences with the CL community, as I think this is very important as the investment is fairly large. I personaly have searched around for installation instructions, but came up with nothing, I hope this will come in handy for someone in future.
Old 08-04-07, 08:36 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Great write-up on the JP kit. My bro had to deal with the doorcap issue as well, being as he works for an autobody shop it really wasn't a big deal.

....and that's my gripe with the JP kit, I mean you spend 4K for a really nice and exclusive kit only to find out that you're going to have to put in some extra work to get it work properly....not cool...I spend 4k, it better a damn near perfect kit.
Old 08-04-07, 08:44 PM
DCMango
Lead Lap

I feel the same way about spending that much and having to alter and make the kit fit. I don't want to make it seem as if the JP kit is garbage or anything, because it is not. The kit fits perfect, alignment, etc went great. The only real problem is the door caps hitting each other, but again, it's not where it can crack the door caps, rather it will scrap and eventually take paint off.

Other things that I mentioned are just for those that have no idea what to look for. I can say that we are very experienced with installing body kits and what not, that's what we specialize in. We do not do collision work, straight custom paint work only. With that in mind, we still went through a good learning curve with this. With the amount of money spent on a kit like this, there should be some form of instrustions included.

Again, overall, the kit fits PERFECT, just look out for what I mentioned above and the installation will go very smooth!
Old 08-04-07, 10:36 PM
DCMango
Lead Lap

From here, you can see exactly what I am talking about in #3 -

We selected to trim the JP door caps -

Before -

After -

Old 08-05-07, 12:58 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

yes this is very true! i was going to trim the door cap down a little but im not sure if i am still..