GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Warranty issues...does your dealer beat around the bush?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 01:45 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Warranty issues...does your dealer beat around the bush?

I just had to post this up. I mean I expected better from a Lexus dealer but whatever...here goes my story. Kinda long so get out some popcorn

Just this week, I went to get some warranty work done on my car at Park Place Lexus in Plano,TX. It also happens to be where I bought my car. Highly regarded and recommended in the area with a lot of praises and positives...etc. My warranty issue had nothing to do with the engine(obviously I voided the powertrain warranty on my car pretty hardcore already lol) but rather my trunk hinge wasn't aligned properly and I just never took it in to get fixed until recently. My car is a 2005 GS300 and has about 25k miles on it...still well within the period of the bumper-bumper warranty.

I couldn't believe the runaround the guys were trying to pull on me. They said my car had been rear ended and the back end has been repainted. Total BS because the rear of my car is 100% pristine condition minus the misaligned trunk. There were tiny tiny indentations/scratches and very very small dimples(needle tip sized!) on the bumper and trunk lid and they somehow came to the conclusion that my rear end had been reworked/repainted. It was obviously a very minor factory paint defect...I told them Lexus paint is not almighty and flawless but they thought otherwise. Look hard enough on a brand spanking new Ferrari or Lamborghini and you will still find a couple of paint defects somewhere. Then he also pointed out that my trunk lid doesn't have a VIN badge. I dynamatted my trunk lid so it might of covered it up. Either way I told him it was probably under the capet liner of the trunk lid. He wouldn't give. Finally, we got the service manager out. He looked around in the trunk and he said that Lexus doesn't paint the rubber stoppers on the trunk hinges from the factory. He said they were supposed to be black only and automatically came to the conclusion that my rear end has been repaired before. Again, I'll reiterate it has never been touched before.

Anyways, after all the run around...I demanded to go out into the lot and check out a few of the other 2nd gen GS's out in the lot to see if their trunk markings were identical to mine. They complied and took me to the pre-owned lot to check out a few trunks. Low and behold...no VIN tag on the trunk lid, a few very minor paint defects as well, and the deal breaker was that the rubber stopper was painted as well! We checked out several 2nd gen GS's with them in disbelief until they finally came to the "NEW" conclusion that I wasn't lying after looking at about 3 other cars lol.

Ok, the best part is coming up. The guy checking out the pre-owned 2GS's with me agrees that my car's rear end has not been touched. So he goes back in to talk with the service manager to discuss while I wait in the lounge. He comes back out 15minutes later and tells me that they won't fix it because the adjustment warranty period is only 12months or 12k miles. Boy was I pissed... I asked them how much it would cost to just fix the hinge and he said probably $100 but they wouldn't cover it under warranty due to the 'adjustment' warranty period being over. Anyone ever heard of that adjustment warranty before? I think they're trying to pull something on me again as a last resort. Honestly they could of just fixed it all for probably not very much money and saved the 2 hours of runarounds. In the end they firmly refused to service it and I just left. I could pay the $100 no problem, but I didn't even want to give them anymore business after a stunt like that. I mean...I expected better from a Lexus dealer. Especially since it's Park Place Lexus and they're the ones I bought my car from plus they're highly praised in the area for great service ! Maybe it was because my car was modded and they didn't want to touch it? Who knows...just sharing my experience lol

Anyone ever heard of the "adjustment" warranty period??

EDIT: I'm thinking that the adjustment warranty was just something they tacked on at the end to get out of repairing my trunk. They knew before pulling the car to the back to get checked out that the car was obviously more than a year old(2GS has been discontinued for 2yrs now) and he checked the odometer to get the 25k reading.

Oh yeah, sorry about my extremely long post, but any feedback is welcome

Last edited by JeffTsai; 07-23-07 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-23-07, 03:51 AM
shvc1991
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't believe I just read all of that.

Never heard of an adjustment warranty though. I just don't understand one thing. Your car is still under bumper-bumper warranty right?, then why is the "adjustment warranty" period so much shorter than the bumper-bumper warranty? I call BS. Since your car is still under warranty(which is bumper-to-bumper) and you proved to them that your car has never been touched, they have no good reason to decline the servicing of your car.
Old 07-23-07, 07:43 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like they just want 100 bucks.
Old 07-23-07, 09:02 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

spunds like total bs go to another dealer or call lexus corporate and inform them that one of their dealerships has an adjustment warranty period.
Old 07-23-07, 05:55 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Anyone else hear of this "adjustment" warranty? I'm probably going to call up Lexus corporate and see what they have to say about it.
Old 07-23-07, 06:54 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello, whats the issue with the trunk? does it shut right or hangs maybe i can help you fix it.
Old 07-23-07, 07:07 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Anyone else hear of this "adjustment" warranty? I'm probably going to call up Lexus corporate and see what they have to say about it.
there was an adjusment period for alignments, before the tsb came out which was 12,000 moles or a year.
Old 07-23-07, 07:09 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

i stopped going to the dealer a long time ago.
too much b.s. when it comes to moded cars
Old 07-23-07, 07:25 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what about this jeff?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213235
Old 07-23-07, 07:46 PM
Nevada3
Driver

My question for the dealer is, if they have to replace the hinge (for $100), is it really an adjustment or is it a replacement of a defective part?

You should ask Bill_GS3. Sounds like he may be a tech and knows what the adjustment warranty covers or doesn't cover. Check out his comments under this post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=273935

If you ask me, it sounds like the service employee/manager where just trying to save face by telling you have to pay to fix it. How dare you point out that you know something more about Lexus vehicles then they do! LOL!!!

Good luck.
Old 07-23-07, 08:28 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuckb
lol man you still remember that incident haha. The very small scratches on my bumper...what the dealer said was me getting the bumper repainted was from that incident. The trunk got a very minor dent in it(golfball sized but less than 0.5mm deep...you have to really look for it in sunlight to see it), but the hinges were still in the same condition as before. I've known about the problem since a LONG time ago, but just never got around to getting it fixed. I do all of the maintenance and service work myself so I rarely have a need to goto the dealer. In fact the only times I have ever been to the dealer was to get my first 2 free oil changes and to fix a squeak in the rear from when the car was 4months old. Oh yeah and also the occasional free car washes when I'm too lazy to handwash

EDIT: At the end, the tech did tell me to try to fix it myself by adjusting the brackets. He wasn't really specific on what to do and I don't think they have any adjustment points unless he meant to throw it on a vice and bend the hell out of it. I guess he could tell that I worked on my own car due to the lack of service history at the dealer since I do all my own work lol. Maybe that's why they were refusing service because I didn't give them any extra money after I bought the car from them heh?

Last edited by JeffTsai; 07-23-07 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 10:09 PM
LEXTEK444
Rookie

Im a tech down at Lexus of Sarasota and the adjustment warranty is for tire balance/pull issues and nothing further. Im actually at Lexus school for the next 3 days and I will be sure to ask. A lot of techs see aftermarket parts and think immediatly its someone elses problem. This is just laziness. We had a customer with a 05 GS that had a full stereo,K40,XM and 5 TV's and we still warrantied his dash for a bubble. It makes me sick to think that there are dealers out there treating customers like this. Sorry for the run on but that is just plain BS.

My 2 cents,
Allen
Old 07-23-07, 10:17 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dude, if i recall, the rear end of a GS doesn't have vin stickers. can someone verify with me? i'll go check my car...
Old 07-24-07, 04:39 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXTEK444
Im a tech down at Lexus of Sarasota and the adjustment warranty is for tire balance/pull issues and nothing further. Im actually at Lexus school for the next 3 days and I will be sure to ask. A lot of techs see aftermarket parts and think immediatly its someone elses problem. This is just laziness. We had a customer with a 05 GS that had a full stereo,K40,XM and 5 TV's and we still warrantied his dash for a bubble. It makes me sick to think that there are dealers out there treating customers like this. Sorry for the run on but that is just plain BS.

My 2 cents,
Allen
lexus of sarasota is great in my book. Matt(tech) and Debbie(svc writer) are my friends.
Old 07-24-07, 06:48 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I gotta support my fellow long post writer so I just read all that. It was a great read I'm just po'd with the ending. halfway through this novel I was really hoping you get taken care of in the end but looks like I will have to wait for the sequel to find out...

Quick Reply: Warranty issues...does your dealer beat around the bush?