GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

DIY Chrome Grill w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-01, 07:46 AM
Silver00Spike
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone here thought about doing their hood, and then finishing it wish a few clear coats? It wuld be really cool to have your car look all metallic and stuff.
Old 12-31-01, 10:30 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hudini,

Did you get a chance to take a pic of your Jade GS with the DIY chrome grill??
If so would you be so kind to post it so I can convince my buddy that he should do his.. THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Old 01-01-02, 02:59 AM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All,

Thanks for the tip on the $4 DIY upgrade. You are all correct, it really makes the front look elegant yet sporty. Here's how it looks on a silver vehicle.

Happy New Year!

MAC
Attached Thumbnails DIY Chrome Grill w/pics-dsc00311.jpg  
Old 01-01-02, 01:38 PM
SandRock
Lead Lap

When I take my car to the dealer they ALWAYS ask where did I get the grill from and how much did it cost. I say ... I did it myself and it costs 7.50. And they go..whoa. Priceless........oh yea...a shout out to the ghetto.

Originally posted by enginyr
Thought about doing the sides too but I didn't want it too look all chrome getto'd out. Guys be sure to do the top of the ribs and just around the corner of the rib. The radius will shine like a mother funker. 19" rims didn't put a smile this big on my face compared to this 4 dollar mod. Something about doing it yourself that feels good.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Chrome Grill w/pics-rt-side-grill.jpg  
Old 01-01-02, 02:02 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by SandRock
When I take my car to the dealer they ALWAYS ask where did I get the grill from and how much did it cost. I say ... I did it myself and it costs 7.50. And they go..whoa. Priceless........oh yea...a shout out to the ghetto.

Actually looks quite nice now that I see a full grill done up. How did you do yours (Huge bucket)?
Old 01-01-02, 07:07 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

wow that is great stuff, does the ES by chance have chrome underneath? Silver00spike, how do you like your Infiniti J30, I have been eyeing one of those for a while now and they are pretty cheap, let me know how you like it.
Old 01-01-02, 07:54 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SandRock nice pic of your grill the only thing that I didn't like was the unpainting on two little pieces on each side.. See your pic below with arrows for clarification.. Other than that I might do the sides of the ribs as well when I find some time..
Attached Thumbnails DIY Chrome Grill w/pics-grill1.jpg  
Old 01-02-02, 08:55 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

I used acetone 2 quarts of it.
Originally posted by enginyr

Actually looks quite nice now that I see a full grill done up. How did you do yours (Huge bucket)?
Old 01-02-02, 08:59 AM
SandRock
Lead Lap

To each his own. I also took the black off around the outside of the emblem. I will take a pic from the front with the sun hittin it then tell me what you think. Plus my car was a little dirty when I took the pic. Im tellin you people love it.
Originally posted by 2SAVVY
SandRock nice pic of your grill the only thing that I didn't like was the unpainting on two little pieces on each side.. See your pic below with arrows for clarification.. Other than that I might do the sides of the ribs as well when I find some time..
Old 01-02-02, 01:31 PM
Steve Barnes
Lead Lap

I wonder if I have chrome under my ES??

I am gonna give it a try.. If not I will have mine Chromed... those grill pics look awesome!
Old 01-02-02, 05:12 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

That is the same thing i am wondering Steve, hopefully we do, if not i will have mine dipped in the finest silver.
Old 01-02-02, 07:45 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Regarding the 'two little pieces on each side', do the 2001+ grills have this??

Those weird little pieces are one of the reasons i'm not going all out and chroming the entire grill, side of ribs and all.

Also, can someone confirm that 2001+ grills can also be chromed using acetone/paint remover? I never knew this was a possibility and would love to see pics if anyone has them!
Old 01-02-02, 08:17 PM
lex430
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Intellexual

Those weird little pieces are one of the reasons i'm not going all out and chroming the entire grill, side of ribs and all.

Also, can someone confirm that 2001+ grills can also be chromed using acetone/paint remover? I never knew this was a possibility and would love to see pics if anyone has them!
yes, it can, I did it on my 430, and it looks sooo much better in my own opinion, and looking at the pictures in these threads it should be evident
Old 01-02-02, 10:30 PM
enginyr
Banned

Originally posted by Intellexual

Don't knock it till you try it!
Old 01-02-02, 10:31 PM
eppan
Pole Position

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
Anyways I scanned in the pic of that GS in the brochure for you all to look at..
I like the one in the brochure...now where can I get one of these grills...it is different than the 98~99 design. I cropped your original scan 2SAVVY.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Chrome Grill w/pics-gsb1.1.jpg  

Quick Reply: DIY Chrome Grill w/pics