GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Weird bubbling sound coming from behind gauge cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 08:18 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Weird bubbling sound coming from behind gauge cluster?

Hi all

ive noticed this sound before when im idle sitting in traffic. it sounds like a coffee pot when the water is pouring down or a bubbling wet sound. No idea what it could be. Seems to come from behind the gauges

Any ideas?
Old 06-25-07, 09:08 PM
lxgs4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you just had your cooling system flushed? if so there might be air pockets in your system. Just need to bleed it again.
Old 06-25-07, 11:21 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

good idea ima check!

anyone else have input?
Old 06-26-07, 04:42 AM
BccGS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Air inside the heater core will make noises like that. If you haven't had your cooling system serviced then you need to look for a leak.
Old 06-26-07, 05:12 AM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Default Actually.....

It's your master cylinder and or the fuel pump doing its job, you'll hear it when you first start up in the morning......do this when you first start your GS, just turn on the ignition but don't start the car. You'll hear it go thru its motion, it's the same sound when you're just idleing. Hopefully someone else can chime in, but I'm pretty sure that that is what it is. Let me know how it turns out.

-Joe
Old 06-26-07, 05:19 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Mmmm your master cylinder and fuel pump do not make bubbling noises. I am leaning toward your cooling system as well.
Old 06-26-07, 05:38 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

Originally Posted by R.U. IN AW?
It's your master cylinder and or the fuel pump doing its job, you'll hear it when you first start up in the morning......do this when you first start your GS, just turn on the ignition but don't start the car. You'll hear it go thru its motion, it's the same sound when you're just idleing. Hopefully someone else can chime in, but I'm pretty sure that that is what it is. Let me know how it turns out.

-Joe
I think this is correct. I have had the same sound come from behind the gauges. Its hard to describe, but it isn't exactly a bubbling sound. It does not happen all the time, so its not likely it has anything to do with the cooling system.
Old 06-26-07, 09:26 AM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Cool Ummmm Okay!

Originally Posted by CDW91
Mmmm your master cylinder and fuel pump do not make bubbling noises. I am leaning toward your cooling system as well.
And your cooling system makes this bubbling noise? Then you my friend have problems and don't know about it. I don't have bubbling sound when I turn my A/C unit on, hell I work in HVAC and I do know what to listen for. The noise is not bubbling and like the previous post says it's hard to describe. It's like a relay sending the unit a signal to run it's functional test, then you hear like a motor running, then you hear it turn off......that is what I was referring to. Hope that makes sense.....

-Joe
Old 06-26-07, 09:29 AM
Chenzo26
Pole Position

And your cooling system makes this bubbling noise? Then you my friend have problems and don't know about it. I don't have bubbling sound when I turn my A/C unit on, hell I work in HVAC and I do know what to listen for. The noise is not bubbling and like the previous post says it's hard to describe. It's like a relay sending the unit a signal to run it's functional test, then you hear like a motor running, then you hear it turn off......that is what I was referring to. Hope that makes sense.....

-Joe
I'm sure the guy that made the reference to "bubbling" said this for lack of a better description. This has to be what he is talking about.
Old 06-26-07, 09:31 AM
R.U. IN AW?
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Chenzo26
I'm sure the guy that made the reference to "bubbling" said this for lack of a better description. This has to be what he is talking about.

yah I'm thinking the same thing.

-Joe
Old 06-26-07, 09:54 AM
overboost
Rookie

well when I take off from a stop I sometimes hear a gurgling or bubbling noise from behind the gauges.

Does not do it all the time, my temps are fine, no leaks, I will try and bleed the system, but it's only from a stop not during idle. does sound like it's from the heater core running through the hoses along the firewall
Old 06-26-07, 04:41 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

ya for lack of better words bubbling ^_^ or gurgling as said above.
Old 06-29-07, 05:08 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

-Joe
I didn't see him finally say it wasn't bubbling noises, so sorry. I never said my car makes any unusual noises because it doesn't. Don't forget about the ABS pump making a similar noise to a fuel pump. Maybe that's what you meant by master cylinder
Old 06-29-07, 11:58 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

My GS has just started to do this every now and then. My ES used to do the same thing but much more often. I looked up a fix for it, on the ES forums, which was as simple as going to Lexus and have them purge the air in the heater core. Several people have done this with great success and only being set back $15.
Old 06-29-07, 01:06 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Purging the air from the heat exchanger??? Sounds like magic.. and for 15 dollars they can't do much.

Is this noise that you hear only happen when you have the heat on? I am pretty sure that there is a temperature valve that regulates the amount of water flow thru the core.

I would suspect a sensor malfunction and look really had at the ABS unit.

Maybe the brake ECU thinks the car is moving and the wheels are stopped. That would make the brake ECU activate.

This is just my two cents. I am interested in what someone finds out here.

B