GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-15, 07:17 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vr4/sc400
Awsome write-up and pics Leon

- Lenny
Speak of the devil . Didn't know you were on the forum, Lenny! Thanks for the help and guidance buddy!
Old 12-01-15, 07:12 AM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

would the doors not unlocking when i put it in park be a sign all the actuators are bad? The unlock button on the fob works for the front two doors when i first click unlock, the second try the back open and the lock function doesnt work at all. any ideas or just replace all of them?
Old 12-01-15, 07:27 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dreamcar88
would the doors not unlocking when i put it in park be a sign all the actuators are bad? The unlock button on the fob works for the front two doors when i first click unlock, the second try the back open and the lock function doesnt work at all. any ideas or just replace all of them?
yes, if they randomly work or don't work it often means they will die soon. but the key fob is meant to only unlock the driver door with one click and the passanger doors with a double or triple click.if that setting annoys you you can take it to a lexus dealer and they will change your C-best settings to any way you like. and if its not locking with the key fob but locks with the door buttons try changing the key battery first.
Old 12-02-15, 06:53 AM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3KID
yes, if they randomly work or don't work it often means they will die soon. but the key fob is meant to only unlock the driver door with one click and the passenger doors with a double or triple click.if that setting annoys you you can take it to a Lexus dealer and they will change your C-best settings to any way you like. and if its not locking with the key fob but locks with the door buttons try changing the key battery first.
Well i found out the problem. I wouldn't give up. The lock button on both my fobs aren't getting connection from the button it self. The panic lock symbol doesn't seem to make a good connection. Do these modules come apart at all or am i forced to buy new ones? If i mess with it the light responds on the fob and the door will lock!!!! I just cant seem to get it back into the fob. The x on the back of the button doesn't hit the bottom connection.

Last edited by dreamcar88; 12-03-15 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-06-16, 01:09 PM
tjpgi
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long post but interesting reading and probably one of the most financially rewarding DIY project that saves you a ton of cash, that I have ever seen. Thanks to all for the invaluable info.

I am sure I'll get flamed for asking but just for some reassurance before I spring for the motors for a 2001 GS300, but the shafts are the 10mm round and not the 20mm or flat sided shafts?

Thanks (oh yeah now my radio won't turn off, the driver window works intermittently and the ML AMP on occasion turns on at 140 decibels- I heard there was a recall in 2002 on this AMP but I missed it) original owner 108,000 miles
Old 01-06-16, 04:48 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by tjpgi
the shafts are the 10mm round and not the 20mm or flat sided shafts?
Correct, 10mm.
Old 01-07-16, 08:25 AM
GS3KID
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dreamcar88
Well i found out the problem. I wouldn't give up. The lock button on both my fobs aren't getting connection from the button it self. The panic lock symbol doesn't seem to make a good connection. Do these modules come apart at all or am i forced to buy new ones? If i mess with it the light responds on the fob and the door will lock!!!! I just cant seem to get it back into the fob. The x on the back of the button doesn't hit the bottom connection.

you can try and take it apart see if something needs to be re soldered (asuming you know what your'e doing) but i would not in this situation so id take it and maybe see if a computer shop that works on circuit boards can fix it. if not you can always by non OEM secondary keys to program. if that's the master key...
Old 01-11-16, 08:32 AM
tjpgi
10th Gear

Thanks for the reassurance Leon.
Tom

Last edited by tjpgi; 01-11-16 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-11-16, 10:05 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Thanks for the reassurance Leon.
Tom
Anytime. And I had the same issue with the ML amp, scared the heck out of me whenever it happened, that is one loud sound system at full blast! The recall did indeed require amp replacement and it fixed the problem.
Old 01-12-16, 09:47 AM
konaboi808
Pole Position

Old but good write up
Old 01-19-16, 11:57 PM
disgraced
Driver School Candidate

Default Key fob(s) not working.

Hey Guys,
As the title suggests.
I've come across a problem whilst I replaced a further 2 of the actuators
after doing 2 of them months ago.
Both of my keys now don't lock/unlock the doors but the door switch and manual key operation triggers all doors as it should.
These worked fine (even during part of the assembly of actuators during a few tests).
I attempted reprogramming the keys as described in another thread but no luck so far.
Any leads as to what I can do next?
Thanks for any info.

Last edited by disgraced; 01-20-16 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-23-16, 10:49 AM
tjpgi
10th Gear

2001 GS 300

I tackled the front driver door today (door would not stay locked unless locked manually with a key). Everything went pretty smooth, took about 2 hours. I found that the threaded plastic end on the inside door lock latch was broken. Now onto the remaining doors.

Door works great now, except that the inside lock latch doesn't work but lock button on the armrest works fine. Does anyone sell this cable? I could not seem to find one online. Door is functional so I'll leave as is if I can't find a cable.

Great forum..
Old 01-23-16, 04:59 PM
mistagill
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also broke the plastic piece on the cable. I just used thick electrical tape and taped it back together. Kind of ghetto but if it works who cares!
Old 01-23-16, 10:05 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

2001 GS 300

I tackled the front driver door today (door would not stay locked unless locked manually with a key). Everything went pretty smooth, took about 2 hours. I found that the threaded plastic end on the inside door lock latch was broken. Now onto the remaining doors.

Door works great now, except that the inside lock latch doesn't work but lock button on the armrest works fine. Does anyone sell this cable? I could not seem to find one online. Door is functional so I'll leave as is if I can't find a cable.

Great forum..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/564102-door-lock-actuator-cable-broken.html
Old 01-24-16, 10:53 AM
vr4/sc400
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

2001 GS 300

Great forum..
Hi tjpgi,

A very reliable method of repair is the paperclip method. A couple wraps on the cable just below the plastic connector, then straight up and a couple wraps around the steel rod. Not the prettiest but it is very stable and effective.

Alternatively if you are a shop needing to repair a customers car or just looking for a cleaner OEM look I have just completed designing a replacement cable. Available on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252140119090

Regards,
Lenny

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???