GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-13, 06:26 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark
I had that issue. I reversed the polarity of he actuator motor. Make sure the new motor spins in the same direction as the one.
Ah okay, I haven't given that a try yet. Also the thing was. I took out the motor and plugged in the unit, still same thing.

Anywhoo
I thought maybe everything needed to be put back together and it'll work (sometimes it just works that way). And so far it works perfectly fine. I'll report back if doesnt work.

Thanks for the quick response.

I read your thread earlier today on how to take out the rear actuator. Super easy
Old 09-30-13, 12:55 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres the quickest way to remove the actuators for front and rear

Front - Remove 4 t30 bolts, 2 hooks you unhook via door handle and some plastic piece. Remove 10mm window sill and the actuator should slide out.

Rear
Remove 4 T30 bolts. Pull on the WHITE cable string and maneuver the actuator out at the same time.

Thats really it.
Old 10-01-13, 07:51 AM
LayedOut
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this DIY helped a bunch i paid like 10 bucks for all 4 actuators and while i pulled the door panels i put my diamond stitched inserts in.

now that my locks are working i notice when i put my key in the driver door and turn to unlock it does not auto unlock all the doors sometimes i have to turn the key several times so i want to get back in there and look at the latch assy again. the actuator works fine cause i can push the lock unlock button as many times as i want and it works fine

Great Diy here is a look at the diamond door panels i put in while i did the DIY
Attached Thumbnails Door Lock Acutuators   DIY ???-photo-2-.jpg  
Old 10-01-13, 08:30 AM
Mark
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LayedOut
this DIY helped a bunch i paid like 10 bucks for all 4 actuators and while i pulled the door panels i put my diamond stitched inserts in.

now that my locks are working i notice when i put my key in the driver door and turn to unlock it does not auto unlock all the doors sometimes i have to turn the key several times so i want to get back in there and look at the latch assy again. the actuator works fine cause i can push the lock unlock button as many times as i want and it works fine

Great Diy here is a look at the diamond door panels i put in while i did the DIY
Please provide additional help the treat, by updating us with the links to where you purchased your parts.
Old 10-03-13, 12:26 PM
LayedOut
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mark
Please provide additional help the treat, by updating us with the links to where you purchased your parts.
price went up but still not to bad 20 bucks for all 4

if i link the ebay add it will expire so go to ebaymotors.com the sellers name is ZINKY86 View his ebay store and they are labeled
4 pc MABUCHI CAR DOOR LOCK MOTORS - DIY ACTUATOR REPAIR Lexus Toyota Ford Mazda
Old 10-04-13, 09:40 AM
gtsweetbai
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the detail description it really helped me out a lot...
Old 10-08-13, 08:03 AM
StaticLow
Driver School Candidate

Thank you TRD911 for taking the time to do this with all the pics and information, this is a great DIY and helped me with my actuator problem as well. Mine were only the two fronts, but I will use the extra two motors later for the rears. I had an issue with the rear sliding portion you can see from the inside of the door, the material was peeling up and jamming it from turning freely. So I just glued it back together and lubed it and it worked like a charm!

Sorry, I know this is off topic, but I don't like having my doors unlock when I put the car into drive. I know the C-Best settings are usually done by the dealership, are there any DIY stuff for any of these settings or do ALL of them have to be done by a Lexus specific scanner? Any input would be appreciated!
Again not trying to steal thread, PM if better.

-S
Old 10-11-13, 07:25 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I did this on my moms 04 LX470. When resealing the clamshell that holds the motor, I suggest putting both epoxy to seal it and then a ziptie across where the motor is housed to further secured it. Kind of annoying to have to file the motor shaft down since its a flat edged shaft instead of the round one. Was a bit tedious to file and get the fitment on the worm gear. It didnt have a coupler like some acutators do. Saved $600+ by doing it myself

this seller sells the motor with several shaft options. Is there away to even know what shaft type you have without opening it up. It doesnt seem very standardized. Ive seen some of the LX people have the collared shaft but when I opened ours it was a flat shaft. Wouldve been nice if I found this auction earlier but I didnt know what motor I had. For a worm gear I would think it would either be a flat shaft or collared shaft or else it would just spin inside the gear
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mabuchi-Nichibo-Door-Lock-Repair-Motors-Flat-Shaft-Brass-Collar-FC-280PT-22125-/111182112752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=410220465062&hash=item19e2f867f0

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 10-11-13 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-13-13, 01:17 PM
jdm4play
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the great write up.

Just picked up this car and I need to change the actuator on the driver side.
Old 10-26-13, 11:36 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StaticLow
Thank you TRD911 for taking the time to do this with all the pics and information, this is a great DIY and helped me with my actuator problem as well. Mine were only the two fronts, but I will use the extra two motors later for the rears. I had an issue with the rear sliding portion you can see from the inside of the door, the material was peeling up and jamming it from turning freely. So I just glued it back together and lubed it and it worked like a charm!

Sorry, I know this is off topic, but I don't like having my doors unlock when I put the car into drive. I know the C-Best settings are usually done by the dealership, are there any DIY stuff for any of these settings or do ALL of them have to be done by a Lexus specific scanner? Any input would be appreciated!
Again not trying to steal thread, PM if better.

-S
Nope gotta go to the dealership, they changed a few real quick for me free of charge...
Old 11-05-13, 09:20 PM
Chep
Driver School Candidate

Default Actuator follow up question?

Where did you purchase the replacement motor for the actuator?

Originally Posted by Alphaman19
After years of feeding of the forum, here's my first contribution.
As we all know, it's not the door lock actuator assembly that needs to be replaced, just the little motor inside of it. A set of four actuators from a dealer are +$200 each.
The set of four motors cost me just $25. And it's sooo easy to dyi! Save your money.
(Afterwards you'll feel like your'e ready to maybe replace a timing belt. You won't be; but you'll feel like it

Replacing door lock actuator motors:
Step 1: (Remove the actuator assembly - See prior posts)
Step 2: Follow my pics.
Step 3: As causally as possible, work "oh, I'm just swapping out my door lock actuators" into every conversations.

Took me about three hours to do all four locks. That's between goofing around, taking breaks and chasing my 2 year old out of my tool box. Once you get the first one done, the rest are a breeze.

(98 GS400 225K)
Old 11-21-13, 05:31 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

on ebay they have them
Old 11-25-13, 10:03 PM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great thread. Just did the 2 drivers side doors tonight. Around 1 1/2 hours. Not bad!

Make sure you buy the gear puller. Couldn't imagine doing it without it.
Old 12-08-13, 10:21 AM
kevroc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by elnegro300
thanks daniel...im still available to replace actuator if anyone is interested. got 4 ready for install
located in inland impire (san bernardino) but willing to drive to ur location for a extra fee
contact me via email if interested moneyracer1@Aol.com
I'm in San Diego as well, maybe we can combine trips?? I need my passenger door fixed.
Old 12-10-13, 12:15 PM
kevroc
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to leave a follow up post. Marco, moneyracer1@Aol.com, just replaced the front passenger door actuator on my 2005 ES 330. He did an awesome job and took less than an hour. Really happy I came across this post. I'm in San Diego and he came down for the job, which worked out great.

Thanks Marco!!

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???