GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 02:36 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bmackinnon
You happen to have a contact for gbreezer80? I sent him a PM, but he only has like 3 posts so I'm wondering if he will respond? I would rather buy the Mabuchi (or whatever it is) motor, than the ebay 'replacement'.... thx!
Sorry, no. The one I got from Ebay looked fine. I doubt we will be replacing the motors a second time unless you plan to keep the car another 9 years. Seems the life span is on average 7-9 years or so?
Old 09-08-10, 02:38 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bthatch70
If it is just replacing the whole actuator I can do it in about 15 mins per door. The dealer may have a 1/2 hour labor min though.
15 MINUTES!!..I am highly dubious of that. Dealer quoted me $600..and thats more than 1/2 labor time for sure.
Old 09-10-10, 08:40 AM
bthatch70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS430lvr
15 MINUTES!!..I am highly dubious of that. Dealer quoted me $600..and thats more than 1/2 labor time for sure.
You are right, the first time it took me 3 hours for one door but I have done it so many times now it is really easy. The most time consuming part is breaking open the clam shell housing and replacing the motor but if you are just replacing the whole actuator it is really easy and fast.

What year is your car and what area of California do you live? I just moved to cali, I will do it for you if you are not too far away from me.
Old 09-10-10, 08:44 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

how do you guys crack open the rear actuator?? some people just dremel cut it open but are there any other methods?
Old 09-13-10, 07:38 PM
Whoopsi
Driver School Candidate

Default DOOR CLOSED and LOCKED w/o actuator or cable installed

REAR DOOR IS LOCKED. I removed the actuator to replace the actuator motor. I put the door lock mechanism back in, reassembled the door, and closed it. OOPS! Now I cannot open the door.

Can the door be jimmied open? How bad did I screw the pooch?

Thanks!
Michael
Old 09-13-10, 10:16 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vwynn
how do you guys crack open the rear actuator?? some people just dremel cut it open but are there any other methods?
I used a gasket scraper, it was a good combination of being strong/stiff enough, yet with a sharp enough edge to get the two halves apart.

You want to hear something that will make most of you cranky with Lexus? My Chrysler minivan also developed a problem with one door lock actuator. This was after I did the repair on the Lexus one.

So I planned to do the same thing on the minivan, until I looked up the cost of the replacement actuator.. and it was... $30, brand new from the dealer. Not the motor, but the whole actuator, the one Lexus wants $200+ for.

So I bought one, put it in, and just for grins decided to take apart the old one, thinking that it must be some simple solenoid thing, not like Lexus' "high tech" actuator. Wrong! Once I opened the actuator, I found a design almost identical to the Lexus - a small Johnson motor driving a lead screw. Except that the Chrysler actuator was assembled with several screws that I could remove, without the need to cut anything in half.

I could have easily replaced just the motor and reassembled the actuator; but for $30 for the whole actuator, it wasn't worth it.

So, I wonder why Lexus wants $200+ for a part that is actually inferior to a $30 Chrysler actuator? Maybe it's just me, but it made me cranky with Lexus .
Old 09-14-10, 09:47 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
You want to hear something that will make most of you cranky with Lexus? My Chrysler minivan also developed a problem with one door lock actuator. This was after I did the repair on the Lexus one.

So I planned to do the same thing on the minivan, until I looked up the cost of the replacement actuator.. and it was... $30, brand new from the dealer. Not the motor, but the whole actuator, the one Lexus wants $200+ for.

So, I wonder why Lexus wants $200+ for a part that is actually inferior to a $30 Chrysler actuator? Maybe it's just me, but it made me cranky with Lexus .
pffffttt thats nothing....generation 1 gs's and gen 1 ls's door actuators still sell for like 40-75

i guess the dealerships/junkyards got onto the fact that these were POS and jacked the prices up on them....its simply a supply and demand issue. if we didn't need them they wouldn't be so high not to mention part of the cost is the name.....if Lexus and Chrysler shared a part # on a part 100% of the time the Lexus part will be 8 times higher, yes for the same part. just how it is...

my acura parts were always higher till i found i could to to Honda for most of them, i try going to my local Toyota place for ANY parts that will interchange or are universal from my gs but the door actuator happens to be one part that Toyota doesn't carry it is a Lexus only part (course it might help if our chassis had a doppelganger in Toyota's field but they don't)
Old 09-14-10, 10:08 AM
TYPEII
Racer

Originally Posted by bthatch70
You are right, the first time it took me 3 hours for one door but I have done it so many times now it is really easy. The most time consuming part is breaking open the clam shell housing and replacing the motor but if you are just replacing the whole actuator it is really easy and fast.

What year is your car and what area of California do you live? I just moved to cali, I will do it for you if you are not too far away from me.
You can come back to the 801 and do mine if they fail down the road...
Old 09-14-10, 03:09 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
i guess the dealerships/junkyards got onto the fact that these were POS and jacked the prices up on them....
I agree, but this is the funny part of the whole thing. The Lexus actuator is a POS, which means they fail a lot, which means they are in demand, which means they fetch a higher price... So the lesson is, build a POS part and you can sell it for more $$ than a quality part .
Old 09-18-10, 03:03 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate that people are trying to rip yall off now that some one showed you how easy it is to do it yourself. These are the same motors at a fraction of the cost.

I am not promoting these and have nothing to do with this auction. I am in SC...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-12VDC-Mabuch...item51951a054c

Long time no post. I am glad to see my DIY is still suriving..

BP
Old 09-18-10, 03:16 PM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD911
I hate that people are trying to rip yall off now that some one showed you how easy it is to do it yourself. These are the same motors at a fraction of the cost.

I am not promoting these and have nothing to do with this auction. I am in SC...

BP
Damn! Thanks...I'm but a few & keep them on the side...
but for sure they are the same?
Old 09-18-10, 03:52 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default yes.. they are almost the same..

the shaft is splined but it will work just fine.. ..
Old 09-20-10, 01:55 PM
azink769
Driver School Candidate

Default where to get 'em

I keep seeing people asking about where to get them, and talking about the expense... if you just search "fc-280pc-22125" on ebay, there are SEVERAL sellers selling the motor.. just sort by "Price + shipping: Lowest first"

It's not really expensive to fix.. do google searches for how to pop the door open on your specific model.. I did it with my lexus in 2 hours total time for 3 doors.
Old 09-20-10, 11:55 PM
Whoopsi
Driver School Candidate

Default Inexpensive and FUN, TOO!

OK, just finished replacing the rear lock actuator for my GS430. $10 sure beats $272!!!

A few lessons learned (that should save you some time):
1) I removed the motor to verify the specs before purchase on ebay, so I had to remove/replace twice. Next time, I'd buy the motor first, then install it in one shot.

2) I don't think you need to glue or expoxy the assembly together. It's very secure once you reinstall the assembly. I wasted time debating.

3) Be careful removing the green ashtray lights...they are fragile.

4) I replaced the panel and shut the door with the door locked and w/o the actuator assembly inside, and no cable attached. BIG MISTAKE! DON'T DO THAT! You can't unlock it w/o removing the panel, and you need the door open to remove the panel. Lexus shop said I needed to rip apart the panel and replace it. Whoops!
I disected the opposite door and figured out that the internal lock mechanism is actually accessible through the child safety switch cavity, and the cavity is just inside the door well. Even with full view of the mechanism, it was hard to open it with a wire, but I was eventually able to hit it.

I decided to try a different approach. I pulled out the rear seat, estimated and drilled a hole from behind the seat, out through 3 panels, and into the door well. I stuck a coat hanger in and magically, on the FIRST push... the door unlocked. You can see where the drill touched the child lock in the photo. (pretty close for a guess!) And the hole in the door well is small enough that I just covered it with a piece of electrical tape. It's hardly noticable.
This DIY and my lucky drill bit saved me a whole lot of $$, THANKS to TRD911!
Next time, once I have the replacement motor in hand... this is easily a 15 minute job!!!
Attached Thumbnails Door Lock Acutuators   DIY ???-child-lock.jpg  
Old 09-21-10, 10:32 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD911

BP
im thinking bout buying these in bulk.....anyone interested? i emailed the eBay user and im awaiting a response

Last edited by sakataj; 09-21-10 at 10:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???