GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-18, 03:07 PM
WaitUpGuys
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried search option for this thread but can't find any matches. Has anyone done this on a 2013 GS350? Just wanted to check if this is the correct motor for my car. FC-280PC-22125. Is the shaft 10 or 20 mm, and is it round or D shaped. Thanks!
Old 11-30-18, 09:38 PM
garris1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WaitUpGuys
I tried search option for this thread but can't find any matches. Has anyone done this on a 2013 GS350? Just wanted to check if this is the correct motor for my car. FC-280PC-22125. Is the shaft 10 or 20 mm, and is it round or D shaped. Thanks!
I don't know about a 2013, but I'll offer a suggestion based on my experience with my 2003 GS 300. Don't get the motor. Get the small unit that encases the motor. To get the motor out and replace it means you have to crack the case open, take the motor and using a very small gear puller, remove the gear. And then put it back together so it stays together.

When I replaced a failed motor in my back door, I bought a case for about $20 on ebay. The motor is $5 to $10, if you get the right one. The small case fits right into the larger actuator unit, the one with all of the rods and levers attached. Much easier for just a few dollars more.

I did an eBay search for year, make, model, door lock actuator, front or back, and right or left.

Just did the following search on "2013 lexus gs 350 door lock actuator". Turned up a list, the lowest was a
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Left-...3e71:rk:1:pf:0
for $33.79. Does that look like yours?

Kenn
Old 12-01-18, 06:26 AM
WaitUpGuys
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by garris1
I don't know about a 2013, but I'll offer a suggestion based on my experience with my 2003 GS 300. Don't get the motor. Get the small unit that encases the motor. To get the motor out and replace it means you have to crack the case open, take the motor and using a very small gear puller, remove the gear. And then put it back together so it stays together.

When I replaced a failed motor in my back door, I bought a case for about $20 on ebay. The motor is $5 to $10, if you get the right one. The small case fits right into the larger actuator unit, the one with all of the rods and levers attached. Much easier for just a few dollars more.

I did an eBay search for year, make, model, door lock actuator, front or back, and right or left.

Just did the following search on "2013 lexus gs 350 door lock actuator". Turned up a list, the lowest was a

Kenn
Thanks Kenn for the suggestion. I guess that would be a lot less work then doing the surgery work to get the motor out. Looks like this is a complete actuator replacement. Found one from 1Auto with lifetime warranty replacement. I just hope these are quality parts that'll last.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Door-L...60B~:rk:2:pf:0
Old 09-16-19, 01:11 PM
paulr1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent a great deal of time reading through the pages and pages back to 2008 of great write up DIY!! But it looks like today the units are readily available so no need to remove the motor etc as WaitupGuys and Garris1 indicated.

I did a search on ebay for 2003 GS430 and found several 4 door package deals and even more singles.

This seller in particular is local to me and has returns etc and I'll be ordering from them soon. Need a trunk actuator as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Power-Do...s/323212779908

Now I am considering replacing the speakers while I'm in the door ...

As a previous owner of a Jensen Healy where I had to make many of my own parts etc, I really appreciated all the hard work put in by the countless group members in figuring out how to fix these actuators!!
Old 09-16-19, 01:45 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by garris1

Kenn
Back when I replaced the motor, the actuator assemblies were very expensive around $150-200 a piece if I remember correctly. That's why this solution was created. Mine eventually failed again and nowadays a set of 4 actuators goes for around $40 or so which was a no brainer for me to just purchase them and replace the whole assembly.
Old 09-16-19, 04:44 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 263 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
Back when I replaced the motor, the actuator assemblies were very expensive around $150-200 a piece if I remember correctly. That's why this solution was created. Mine eventually failed again and nowadays a set of 4 actuators goes for around $40 or so which was a no brainer for me to just purchase them and replace the whole assembly.
Where is the fun in that? Crack them open and go full on DYI
Old 09-16-19, 06:54 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

For your speakers, do some research. If you have an ML system you should just refoam them. The ohm ratings are different than most aftermarket speakers.
Old 09-17-19, 05:18 AM
throttlejo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. I've replaced 7 of them and the window stays in. There are many bad lock acuators on ebay. But I think I found one that's good. If I find the history I will let you guys know. It's a 30 min job. Use canned air upside down and freeze the vapor seal and the plastic peels off ,also get your hand on the handle,lift it and reach in and grab the lever on the assy and it will be easier to remove.
The following users liked this post:
shwalker07 (09-18-19)
Old 09-18-19, 05:24 AM
CochyGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by throttlejo
Yep. I've replaced 7 of them and the window stays in. There are many bad lock acuators on ebay. But I think I found one that's good. If I find the history I will let you guys know. It's a 30 min job. Use canned air upside down and freeze the vapor seal and the plastic peels off ,also get your hand on the handle,lift it and reach in and grab the lever on the assy and it will be easier to remove.
Thanks for the tips. I never thought to freeze it
Old 09-18-19, 09:33 AM
KTGS300
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by throttlejo
Wouldn't that harden and ruin the adhesive on the vapor barrier? I just pull the plastic up a bit to stretch the adhesive and use a box cutter knife to cut through it. Just be careful not to cut any part of the plastic and after you're done just seal it back with the existing adhesive.
Old 04-24-20, 05:58 AM
Oceans13
Intermediate

Received 210 Likes on 129 Posts

Where can I get a set of actuators? Luxious Auto is sold out and no longer offering any more in the future, and the other option is the $36 sets on Ebay, and I am not sure of their reliability. Can annyone recommend a source besides OEM?
QLex300 (01-12-22)
Old 04-24-20, 06:28 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Oceans13
Where can I get a set of actuators? Luxious Auto is sold out and no longer offering any more in the future, and the other option is the $36 sets on Ebay, and I am not sure of their reliability. Can annyone recommend a source besides OEM?
Are you wanting the whole actuator or just the motors? I bought a complete refurbished actuator off eBay from a guy that only rebuilds them but they range from about $125 -$175 each and you send him back your non-working actuators. I couldn't get just the motors to work so I just went for a rebuilt actuator and it was much easier to deal with.
Old 04-24-20, 05:42 PM
Oceans13
Intermediate

Originally Posted by caverman
Are you wanting the whole actuator or just the motors? I bought a complete refurbished actuator off eBay from a guy that only rebuilds them but they range from about $125 -$175 each and you send him back your non-working actuators. I couldn't get just the motors to work so I just went for a rebuilt actuator and it was much easier to deal with.
Thats actuatorsplus, I think. Anyway I ended up ordering the 4 set of Mabuchi 10mm round shaft motors and a Torx T30 bit. Ill try the motor swap or maybe the chinese ebay ones, and if that dosent work, ill get the rebilt OEM ones.
Old 05-03-20, 02:50 PM
Oceans13
Intermediate

Did the 4 on my 2004 GS300. Got the motors from ebay, and a gear puller. Split the housings with a razor and small hammer. I had downloaded the instructional videos from youtube onto my laptop and followed long with the instructions. Replaced motors and screwed them back together, no glue. Rear right took an hour, rear left took half. Front right took an hour and the front driver a half. Fixed the cable with a paper clip, my friend helped with a second pair of pliers / wire clipper. The locks all work great. I was nervous but the videos and info in this forum helped. I have no mechanical experience, but with preparation, tools, and patience I did it.

The 10mm round shaft motors from zinky

rear pass door took an hour

rear driver took a half hour

Drivers side cable broke, did the paper clip fix.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oceans13:
Bykfixer (03-24-21), holeshot (03-23-21)
Old 03-23-21, 03:11 PM
holeshot
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PVC primer and cement seems to work well

I've tried a few things and I prefer using a PVC primer and cement. It seals pretty strong and it seems the glue is mostly to seal out the dust and what not, because there's two screws that holds the assembly together. I had to take it apart three times because when I lubricated the gears and contacts with Super Lube high temp, dielectric, extreme pressure silicone grease, the spring and gear popped loose in a different position.

Oceans13 (03-24-21)