GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-13, 09:36 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Clairification?

I need to do the right rear door. Wading through the various posts in this thread you can't see the forest for the trees. Here is my question:

Does the window have to be removed to get the lock assembly out?

A separate, locked thread with just the necessary steps and photos would be great.
Thanks
Old 05-25-13, 09:38 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Billh2
Does the window have to be removed to get the lock assembly out?
No. Just raise it all the way up.

You also don't need to remove the outer door handle, though it's a pain to get the actuator out with the handle in place - see my post #937 for tips.
Old 05-25-13, 11:18 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lyonkster
No. Just raise it all the way up.

You also don't need to remove the outer door handle, though it's a pain to get the actuator out with the handle in place - see my post #937 for tips.
Thanks! I got a great deal on a new actuator and i have a 5 pack of motors so I will practice replacing the motor on the old actuator. I have a feeling I am going to be doing this job again.

Thanks again
Bill
Old 05-25-13, 02:21 PM
Billh2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lyonkster
Did my left rear actuator today (having done the left front a couple of years ago). I'd say the rears are easier, with one exception, as noted by others - getting the actuator out of the door. I have a tip on how to do this.

I wiggled and wiggled the loose actuator and could not get it out, so I broke down and removed the outer door handle, which is held by two screws. Front screw is easy, but the back one is covered by the actuator, so it's a Catch-22 of sorts - can't get the actuator out with the handle in place, can't get the handle out with the actuator in place.. I was finally able to get the back screw out using a 10mm offset box wrench, and then the actuator came right out. Rebuilding the actuator is like illustrated here, no need to rehash that.

But when getting the actuator back in, I did not fancy trying to install the door handle back screw with the actuator in place, so I installed the handle first and tightened the screws, then tried to install the actuator. I was able to do it surprisingly easily, the trick seemed to be to slide the actuator up while holding it all the way back against the back of the door. I think that when people try to get the actuator out, they naturally pull it towards the opening, i.e. forward, but that interferes with the door handle. If you push it back and down, it will come out.

So the bottom line is that for the rears, no need to remove the outer handle, just slide the actuator down while pushing it back.

Hope this helps.
One more thing; When removing or installing the lock assembly, things go a LOT easier if, when you are working a loose lock assembly out of the door as described above, you reach around and lift up on the outside door latch! Doesn't work unless the lock assy. is tilted correctly. This get the f*%$ing latch lever out of the way and it almost falls into (Or out of, whichever the case may be) place.
All things considered, it's really a pretty simple job.
Old 05-28-13, 07:34 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sigh i hit the coupling a little too hard and it got stuck to the motor.

Anyone know where I could buy a new coupling?
Old 05-29-13, 07:57 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be simpler to just get another motor and cannibalize the the one that the coupling is stuck on. You would have to remove the plastic end on the motor and then just tap the shaft "through" the coupling using the motor casing as the support with the armature hanging freely.
Old 05-29-13, 10:37 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KeyKeeper
Be simpler to just get another motor and cannibalize the the one that the coupling is stuck on. You would have to remove the plastic end on the motor and then just tap the shaft "through" the coupling using the motor casing as the support with the armature hanging freely.
Thanks,

I tried that already. The components inside keeps it from extending further to the point where i could take it off.
Old 05-29-13, 11:33 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

So you cant get some wire cutters between the coupling and motor casing? I just cut the shaft on my old motors using wire cutters and then placed them on a small vice and drove the little piece of shaft out. You have a pic of what you talking about? Guess I may be misunderstanding your situation.
Old 05-29-13, 01:28 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

So you cant get some wire cutters between the coupling and motor casing? I just cut the shaft on my old motors using wire cutters and then placed them on a small vice and drove the little piece of shaft out. You have a pic of what you talking about? Guess I may be misunderstanding your situation.
Yeah there is no gap what-so-ever. I could barely turn it with my fingers. I decided to try to cut it off the motor and try to push it out with the gear pulley. Didn't work.

I thinking of using one of the brass collars from one of the motors and putting epoxy/superglue/fiberglass to make it thicker so it can fit the white plastic gear part of the actuator. I'm just afraid that it might break down over time.
Old 05-29-13, 01:35 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Yeah there is no gap what-so-ever. I could barely turn it with my fingers. I decided to try to cut it off the motor and try to push it out with the gear pulley. Didn't work.

I thinking of using one of the brass collars from one of the motors and putting epoxy/superglue/fiberglass to make it thicker so it can fit the white plastic gear part of the actuator. I'm just afraid that it might break down over time.
Old 05-30-13, 11:55 AM
KeyKeeper
Pole Position

Ok what I would do, is remove the white end of the motor and discard. Now you should have the motor case and the armature sticking out of the non drive end (butt of the motor). Set the edge of the case on the top edge of the vice jaws with the jaws open large enough for the rotor to slip through (largest part of rotor is in center). Use a roll pin punch and tap the drive end of the shaft "through" the little coupling thing. The bushing in the drive end of the case will support the coupling and with the rotor being able to pass through the vise jaws, you should be able to "drive" the rotor shaft out.

Last edited by KeyKeeper; 05-30-13 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 12:40 PM
xStayTuned
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Idk if this a dumb question buti just bought my 01 gs300 and I came to a lexus dealer in chantilly va to get some cbest settings changed and one of them was the car beeping when you lock all the doors but they said that the car wont beep when locking cuz the driver rear actuator is bad but its been locking everytime for me no problem im still sitting here waiting..
But my question is is this actuator problem intermittent for most or is something that once it goes it doesntwork anymore cuz I find it weird that all of a sudden it stopped working for the first time when I brought it in.

just lookin ng for some input please

Thanks guys
Old 06-02-13, 12:44 PM
xStayTuned
Driver

Not actuator related but idk about these guys cuz I asked him to check the rear light indicator cuz a brake light seems to be out I told him replaced them all and all they said was they can figure it out either wtf kind of answer is that the rear light indicator is annoyng :/
Old 06-05-13, 05:02 AM
hjcollins
Driver School Candidate

My 2002 GS300 now has 3 failed door lock actuators. Just priced it out with the dealership and nearly passed out. I love the DIY approach, but I am absolutely terrified to try this myself. Could anyone recommend someone in the northern Virginia area? I live in Woodbridge. email: hjcollins@yahoo.com

Last edited by hjcollins; 06-05-13 at 05:05 AM. Reason: added info
Old 06-05-13, 04:17 PM
xStayTuned
Driver

Originally Posted by hjcollins
My 2002 GS300 now has 3 failed door lock actuators. Just priced it out with the dealership and nearly passed out. I love the DIY approach, but I am absolutely terrified to try this myself. Could anyone recommend someone in the northern Virginia area? I live in Woodbridge. email: hjcollins@yahoo.com
I live in woodbridge as well my buddy with a 2gs that works with me at tysons subaru might be willing to help ill have to check with him tomorrow

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???