GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 01:39 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by billzblaze
Ok my friend just got done doing this fix for me and it was a pain in the *** took bout 5 hours, first when the coupler came off it split in two so he expoxied it back together.Well to make a long story short after everything was installed and put back on, the door lock opens and closes fine with the key button but it wont lock manually its real tight and i cant roll the windows up with the key in the hole but i can roll them down.Does anyone know went wrong any suggestions will be appreciated.
Make sure the plastic sleeve that goes over the metal ball on the actuator is hooked up right, your door handle should not be tight, (not the cable ball) the plastic coupler on the actuator that fits like a sleeve over the control arm....
Old 03-29-12, 08:10 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please refrain from any name calling or "calling out" of other people. Club Lexus does not tolerate any name calling, bullying, or any posts of that type!

Thanks!
Old 03-31-12, 05:32 PM
Beef356
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anyone in the maryland area that can help me with this process ?
Old 04-02-12, 07:10 AM
77i9
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
I recommend a puller do people can do it the RIGHT way it's only 10$ u cheap ***, people are breaking the weight couplers with these ghetto *** antics... Moron ur lacking
first let me say that you are correct for using the right tool for the job. I was merely pointing out that removal of the coupler without the puller IS covered on the thread. So that a cheap *** like me can do this diy by using common tools.
Old 04-06-12, 12:29 PM
mrx330
Driver School Candidate

Sam430,

I have the same problem on my rx300- did you ever figure out why manually unlocking (key or manual inside switch) do not work?

Thanks
mrx330
Old 04-09-12, 04:25 AM
SureShot
Rookie

Originally Posted by FlockoGS4
Lol 2 hours!? Impossible
yah, with glue drying time and consuming adult beverages while doing it.
Old 04-15-12, 09:02 AM
2jzthis
Driver School Candidate

Very helpful thread! Thanks you
Old 04-22-12, 09:24 AM
atxzenki
Rookie

Originally Posted by billzblaze
Ok my friend just got done doing this fix for me and it was a pain in the *** took bout 5 hours, first when the coupler came off it split in two so he expoxied it back together.Well to make a long story short after everything was installed and put back on, the door lock opens and closes fine with the key button but it wont lock manually its real tight and i cant roll the windows up with the key in the hole but i can roll them down.Does anyone know went wrong any suggestions will be appreciated.
Did you guys ever figure out what caused this?? I'm working on it right now, and would like some insight into this problem!!
Old 04-26-12, 09:55 AM
mrx330
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by atxzenki
Did you guys ever figure out what caused this?? I'm working on it right now, and would like some insight into this problem!!
I never figured it out or found an answer on the treads. As I always use the remote, I am just going to live with it.
Old 04-26-12, 11:59 AM
s6arface
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by juan9285
My passenger door lock acuator broke while I was replacing the motor.
I found this http://advanced.m.nextag.com/DLA-219...68/prices-html
Which will make it easier to replace instead of tring to crack that plastic housing. Sure it's about 90 bucks but vs the whole door lock assemble for 300 at the dealership.
I'm just not sure If there's a specific one for each door?
i changed out my driver side motor (using this thead and the youtube video) and had a tough time opening up the housing for the motor, and getting the coupler off. i eventually got everything out but the housing did crack a little. everything works fine now (except the manual unlock...which looks liek some people are experiencing as well). however, now my passanger side is going bad as well.

that for the housing motor looks like a good bet for anyone who doesn't want to open up their casing (it can be a pain in the ***). anyone ordered it yet? im seriously considering just ordering that and changing out the housing instead
Old 04-27-12, 10:37 PM
elevate
Rookie

this is going be very handy for me next week, thanks alot!
Old 04-29-12, 11:21 AM
boosteddsm
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just did mine last night. Getting the coupler off the old motor wasn't hard at all. Just put the motor body in a vise and put some needle nose cutters right under the coupler and a few sudden prying pulls and it came right off. IMO save yourself a bunch of $ and take your time cutting the housing open, replacing the motor, and gluing it back together. As long as you pay attention, take your time, and don't force ANYTHING, it isn't hard at all.
Old 04-29-12, 11:26 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm I tried to do my rears the other day and it was a PITA to get the door actuator out. I couldn't get it out the metal part that meets with the handle keeps getting in the way. Any ideas on maneuvering around it?
Old 04-30-12, 11:58 PM
ProfesrLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Hmmm I tried to do my rears the other day and it was a PITA to get the door actuator out. I couldn't get it out the metal part that meets with the handle keeps getting in the way. Any ideas on maneuvering around it?
I did a DIY a while back on replacing the stock door handles (front and rear) with chrome ones which starts a quarter way down this page.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...se-help-3.html

Not sure if this will help out or not.

I remember for the back doors i had to loosen the door lock actuator which i call the "door latch mechanism" in my DIY. I dont think I actually took the unit all the way out of the door because i didnt have to for just replacing the door handle but i remember getting it to a movable area in the door was super PITA status.

Good luck.

And on another note: The actuator i replaced today was the front passenger door. The only major problem i ran into was getting the motor housing open. ****er was glued shut real tight. I tried several methods and ended up using a chisel hammered around different spots to pry it open. this resulted in cracking it in a couple parts which needed to be superglued back together later. If anyone has a good way of doing this without cracking the housing please chime in.

Old 05-01-12, 03:36 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^I tried prying it open before with a sharpened flathead.....yeah bad idea. Slipped right off the plastic and went into my hand....almost made it's way through one end out the other.

Couldn't use that hand for a couple of days.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???