GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-08, 11:35 PM
whelee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 98 lexus gs 400 my drive side door only does not lock & unlock on remote. I suspect is the actuator. do you know how much this cost to replace it. or where did you get your parts.
Old 07-17-08, 09:52 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys, I've managed to get the coupling off the old motor (after a midnight run to Lowe's to buy a vise) but I really had to manhandle it with a torch and channel-locks to get it off.

Will the brass coupling off the new motor come off any easier with heat and pulling? Or do I even need to take it off at all? The new coupling might have enough drive shaft left over to still go on.

Speaking of getting it on, how did you guys get the old coupling on to the new motor shaft? Here's what I've got...
Attached Thumbnails Door Lock Acutuators   DIY ???-new_motor.jpg  
Old 07-17-08, 10:21 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JiBBeL
Hi guys, I've managed to get the coupling off the old motor (after a midnight run to Lowe's to buy a vise) but I really had to manhandle it with a torch and channel-locks to get it off.

Will the brass coupling off the new motor come off any easier with heat and pulling? Or do I even need to take it off at all? The new coupling might have enough drive shaft left over to still go on.

Speaking of getting it on, how did you guys get the old coupling on to the new motor shaft? Here's what I've got...
That coupling you took off with heat is toast. You need to get some yellow or green loctite to put it back on or it will spin. You need to read the entire post. The torch is NOT the way to get it off. Just get a pair of cutting pliers to hold the coupling and hit the end of the saft with a hamer. Then get a small drill bit and hit the shaft through the coupling. These pictures are deep in the thread but, they are there.

BP
Attached Thumbnails Door Lock Acutuators   DIY ???-3421400751_orig.jpg  
Old 07-17-08, 11:09 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Yeah, i've read all 15 pages 3 times before trying this... but it doesn't always go as planned That old coupling refused to come off, broke 2 drill bits trying. I'll get some loctite and try the above method with the new one.

Thanks for taking the time also to do the write-up. Definitely couldn't have made it this far without your pioneering.

-Jib
Old 07-17-08, 01:16 PM
400PR00F
Driver School Candidate

I'd like to extend a big THANK YOU as well. I followed this thread almost to the "T" while swapping out my driver and back passenger side doors. It was too easy. I tried using a gear puller, but it just bent. So I used an old precision screwdriver and hammered away until I got the couplings to come off. It's so new to me that I still catch myself locking the driver's door manually before I exit the car and downing the windows before I get to the car so that I can slide the lock open thru the window...
Old 07-19-08, 02:26 PM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

TRD, you rock my socks off man. I got the couplings off by locking the coupling in the vice upside down, and then tapping the back of the motor where the shaft sticks out a 1-2mm and it slid right off. A few taps to get it on the new motor and we were in business! I reassembled everything today, said a quick prayer and hit the button on my FOB... click click
Old 07-23-08, 01:46 PM
leonedavis
Driver School Candidate

this may have been addressed somewhere in the 15 pages, but this look exactly like the rx assembly. are they the same?
Old 07-23-08, 05:38 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by leonedavis
this may have been addressed somewhere in the 15 pages, but this look exactly like the rx assembly. are they the same?
I have no idea.. I would think the motor might be the same but, I only have a GS..

BP
Old 07-27-08, 03:47 PM
kingpen509
Driver School Candidate

I jsut got done with my ebay motor replacement and it works perfectly, thanks to all those who were willing to pioneer this option for us. I did however leave a tiny piece out when i reassembled the door actuator assembly and that was the gold "lock pin" in the white arm linckage for the door lock assembly......I did not realize this until I was cleaning up my area and the door still works perfectly should I be worried?

Thanks again,

Dustin
Old 07-27-08, 04:37 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kingpen509
I jsut got done with my ebay motor replacement and it works perfectly, thanks to all those who were willing to pioneer this option for us. I did however leave a tiny piece out when i reassembled the door actuator assembly and that was the gold "lock pin" in the white arm linckage for the door lock assembly......I did not realize this until I was cleaning up my area and the door still works perfectly should I be worried?

Thanks again,

Dustin
They put it there for a reason. You will probably be okay if it is what I am thinking it is. can you show a picture of it?

I looked for my old ones but it is 100 degrees in my garage and it is on the top shelf so I am to lazy to get it out and take pics of it. How about help me and show me what the pin looks like.

I do not think you had to remove it anyway to get to the motor right?

BP
Old 07-27-08, 05:07 PM
1stLexusLS
Driver School Candidate

how do you go about diagnoising that the acuator doesnt work? my passenger door look on my LS doesnt work with the remote or the door switch...what do you guys think it might be?
Old 07-27-08, 10:14 PM
GS_OREO
Pole Position

Thanks for the write up TRD911. Your the *****! I did my passenger door and it took me 3.5 hrs. But most of it was due to lack of tools, light and trying to take off that coupler.

But overall its easy to do. Great write up
Old 07-28-08, 10:48 PM
fhoffmann
Driver School Candidate

replaced the motor in my drivers side rear door today. thanks for this diy trd, helped tremendously. as others have experienced that coupler was the most annoying part... someone posted a link for a gear remover or some such earlier in this thread? i almost wish i had ordered that set.
Old 07-28-08, 11:28 PM
GS_OREO
Pole Position

Well I did my driver side today. You can use a grinder to cut off the coupler off the new motor. Just have to be extra careful.
Old 07-30-08, 12:01 AM
Layzie
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for the DIY. I wouldn't have tried doing it myself without it, and without a link to the correct motor auction. I was able to do it without removing the window or speaker though.

I broke the coupler thing on the old motor when trying to hammer an Allen wrench through it. I just put epoxy on the new motor's couper thing and put it in the actuator. If it breaks again I'll just replace the entire actuator, since I don't have the coupler.

Quick Reply: Door Lock Acutuators DIY ???