GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Pictures: GS400 timing belt parts and part #'s. How-to soon.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-07, 07:18 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The timing belt has been replaced, along with the other things. The entire process took 10 hours, with a few minor problems along the way. A how-to will be posted soon, when I have more time.

The car drives great! It is smoother and quieter now. The belt had at least 20K miles left of life on it.

Here is a picture for you guys. The new timing belt and waterpump have been installed in this picture. A lot of the pulleys, covers, radiator fan, accessory belt, etc., are missing. It was the being steps of reinstallation.

A lot more pictures were taken, and will be posted soon.
Old 06-23-07, 07:35 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all.Awsome picture. I love it when folks do stuff on their own. NICE!!! What kind of problems??? I have done a 2uz non VVT.

How hard was it to line up the timing marks? I am having trouble seeing the timing mark on the left hand side. I knowI had trouble getting the damper pulley bolt was hard for me to get off of my timing belt replacement I did.

Again.... NICE BP
Old 06-23-07, 07:40 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

I bought the wrong silicone to seal the water pump to the thermostat (not pictured). So coolant was slightly leaking after warm-up. I found some silicone (in my drawer!) that was made specifically for the waterpump/thermostat area (glycol resistant). That took an extra hour and a half.
Old 06-23-07, 07:57 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

First of all, I would like to say that the timing belt change is hell compared to the timing belt replacement on our Lexus/Toyotas. It is so much easier on the Lexus. I think there is a design flaw with the Honda tensioner pulley.

Marking everything before removal is key. Making sure the gears do not move is the most important.

Here are some more pictures for now.

TDC on the camshaft gears.

Mirror to see if the belt/gear is in the right place on the crankshaft gear.

Before and after cleaning of the inside of the camshaft gears/timing belt cover. All the back is the rubber from the timing belt. The area is sealed off from the outside environment.
Old 06-23-07, 07:59 PM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the toyota sealant.. they called it like gasket inplace or something.. I did mine on a 4.7 L Tundra.. I wish I took pictures when I did mine. I hope you took a lot of pics.

So tell me was the right side hard to get lined up on the timing marks on the belt ? I just do not see the marks to line it up.

Did the timing gears move when you took the original belt off? Did you have to disconnect somthing so that the VVT did not move?

B
Old 06-23-07, 08:09 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bmpiazzola
I bought the toyota sealant.. they called it like gasket inplace or something.. I did mine on a 4.7 L Tundra.. I wish I took pictures when I did mine. I hope you took a lot of pics.

So tell me was the right side hard to get lined up on the timing marks on the belt ? I just do not see the marks to line it up.

Did the timing gears move when you took the original belt off? Did you have to disconnect somthing so that the VVT did not move?

B
The marks are all there, if you look closely. The camshaft gears are marked by the "T" and a slit in the gear itself. I was extremely careful in not moving anything when the timing belt was off. I took over 100 pictures. More will be posted soon in another thread.
Old 06-23-07, 08:40 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice so far nice work and write up
Old 06-23-07, 09:55 PM
gobears
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you also post your old belt? How many miles on it, and what year?

Congratulations!!!
Old 06-26-07, 06:57 PM
gtmax
Driver

I'm definitely taking my car to the dealer for this service. I wish you lived here so i could pay you to do this for me.
Old 09-21-07, 10:47 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

WARNING: The above pictures showing the cam gear marks aligning with the "T" mark on the block are incorrect. The cam gear marks should line up with the "|" to set timing.
Old 09-22-07, 12:56 AM
pimplux808
Pole Position

whats the part number for the water pump>?

thanks...
Old 09-22-07, 03:01 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aliga
WARNING: The above pictures showing the cam gear marks aligning with the "T" mark on the block are incorrect. The cam gear marks should line up with the "|" to set timing.

The T and the "l" are the same distance apart on both heads. I used the T for the timing, but it would not matter if I used the "l" for the timing. As long as the belt was put on the same way the old one was removed, there should not be a problem.
Old 09-22-07, 05:35 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
The T and the "l" are the same distance apart on both heads. I used the T for the timing, but it would not matter if I used the "l" for the timing. As long as the belt was put on the same way the old one was removed, there should not be a problem.
that is cool, but I didnt want to take that chance on 5k+ motor.

for all the tbelt diyers, set the crank to 0 (engine to TDC), and ensure both crank pulleys are lined up to "|"
Old 09-22-07, 12:28 PM
pimplux808
Pole Position

whaaazzzuup , u can u give me the number for the waterpump?

THANKS.
Old 09-23-07, 02:18 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pimplux808
whats the part number for the water pump>?

thanks...
Waterpump # is 16100-59275-83 same for 98-06

http://www.luxurymotorworks.com/prod...tegory_key=174

Quick Reply: Pictures: GS400 timing belt parts and part #'s. How-to soon.