GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

GS4 stolen - this may be the end

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-01, 09:11 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy GS4 stolen - this may be the end

Unfortunately guys my GS4 was stolen from a restaurant parking lot in NJ. Apparently they got in from the passenger side window by pulling/pushing it down, since this window will not come up right now. Yea well the car, as u can tell was recovered...only thing was that these morons didnt know how to handle the car. From the rear door, and back the car was hit....aparently he took a right turn rather quickly, and the car fishtailed, leaving that back end smacking intoa divider. With rear axle broken and all, they took what they could. The next night it was inthe impound lot, more stuff got stolen off of it, including hte intake, trd oil cap and some additional damage. Oh and get this. The car was stolen on thursday night...on friday , at 3am, a newark cop wrote a parking ticket for it...and it was already reported stolen 6 hours earlier! They finally towed the car at 1 in the afternoon.

In any case, I have some things laying around that I might have to get rid of (stock equipment like exhaust, 17s, etc)...im not sure yet what the deal is withthe insurance company, but I don't know if I can ever feel comfortable in that car...I personally dont feel it will ever be right again, esp considering the time and effort put into making that 98 GS4 looking like a 2001. Anyone's thoughts? Unless I somehow feel comfortable with the job that the lexus dealer will do to fix the car up, then it seems this will be the end of me being a lexus enthusiast for a while, since I won't just get a new 430. I unfortunately have to look elsewhere, when I was actually hoping to just upgrade to the new bodystyle when it came out. I'll keep eveyrone posted.
Old 12-13-01, 09:50 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, that is SAD to hear.
I wish you the best!!
Old 12-13-01, 09:55 AM
Juan C. Cos

Sorry to hear that Ken, but what the hell happened with Lexus's claim that its cars can't be stolen because part of the computer is in the key itself? Crap, huh? And I thought my car was pretty safe because of that!!
Good luck with the insurance. If they total your car, please let us know how much they give you compared with its real market value; I wonder if Allstate would give me the retail value (what's fair), trade-in, or what, and from what book.
Old 12-13-01, 10:07 AM
ap0718
Lead Lap

That is what I though as well---I thought there was a chip in the key or something that prevents the car to be stolen. If anyone has any information, please post!!!!

ThemisN---sorry to hear about your loss---but whenever you have a loss, all you can do now is gain from it----take my advice. My Honda was stolen a couple years back and all I have to say is that I got a new kit, bigger wheels, suspension, system, the works!!!!
Old 12-13-01, 10:17 AM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default Sorry to hear the news

Sorry to hear that... that sucks. Unfortunately, for most of us all alarms are a false sense of security. All you need to do is figure out how the "chip" in the key works (mechanically) and bypass what it does. I also agree that I wouldn't want the car back.

I f--king HATE thieves. There is no worse piece of **** on this earth than someone who steals, especially someone's car. I hope that I never have the opportunity to catch somebody trying to steal my car... all I'd have to say is think about it, is my 50K car worth you losing your life over? Oh and there is none of this oh I'll shoot to stop..no no that's the mistake too many people have made in the past. Dead men don't talk and dead men can't deny they didn't have a gun or shoot at you first. F--k it my motto is catch'em, kill'em, bury'em end of story, nobody will miss them.
Old 12-13-01, 10:34 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

That really blows. I doubt they will consider it totalled since the damage does not sound as though it is too great, and the value of your car is too much for them to right off. I would not blame you at all for selling it after getting it repaired though.

One question, what restuarant and in what town? I live in Jersey, so I would like to avoid the area if possible. My GS was broken into around 8 months ago in Union, but luckily they just stole some CD's... but it still cost me $500 just to fix the lock.
Old 12-13-01, 11:13 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy My Sympathy!

Ken - Having had my heavily customized RX-7 stolen several years ago, I feel your pain! While the Lexus dealer can probably restore your baby back to mechanical integrity, I think it's more of a human/machine connection that's been violated ( I felt like I was raped! ). If U don't think U'll feel comfortable in the GS, maybe it's time for a change ( depending on the settlement, maybe another GS or an SC, perhaps? ). On a positive note, maybe the insurance money can be allocated to mods that maybe U were putting off due to cash flow ( or lack of it!! ). I'm with Johnny on my feelings about thieves & remember that I do the local "ride along" program & broke up a potential theft a few months ago. Even got to pull my Glock but didn't need to use it - damn!!
Old 12-13-01, 02:58 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I share in your pain as well, especially since I too live in NJ. I am new to this site and just bought a used GS400. I would hate to have it stolen. Just the other day my brother parked his 99 Acura TL in the Garden State mall and someone swiped the Xeons--the estimate to repair is $2,600.00.
Old 12-13-01, 05:06 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am really sorry about your car man. Here is what I would do. Get a cheap bodyshop to give you an estimate higher then the damage really is. Then tave insurance pay all that $$$ to a dealer you will be repairing your car at. For the extra cash you can put in L-Tuned or a Supercharger and still get all your goodies back. I know its not very nice but i would be pissed so much I wouldn't care.
Old 12-14-01, 09:31 AM
mmeyerkopf
Driver School Candidate

How did they take it without the chipped Key? Did you leave your valet key in the glove compartment?
Old 12-14-01, 09:47 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear that too!

I think a lot of thieves know about the key in the glove compartment and most owners never know about them either until its too late.

My guess is that if the thief was a pro...ie someone who can electronically figure out what resistance the key provided to the starting circuit....but the way you said the car was taken and taken for a joy ride, my best guess is that you probably left the spare key in the glove compartment and some young punks took it.

For other people who have had their cars broken into and not taken, probably the car stayed their because there was not key in glove compartment....if there had been, those cars would have been gone too.

BTW, fellow members,

Do insurance companies cover aftermarket modifications or do I need to contact them about what I have before a potential incident happens? I would love to hear any information on this topic any member can provide to the rest of us. (especially in NJ...and I live in the car theft capital of NJ ...Newark)

Thanks,
Manuel
Old 12-14-01, 10:05 AM
lex430
Lead Lap

is there a key in glove compartment from the dealership? or are you guys talking about most owners leaving a key in the glove??

What would be the purpose of having a spare in the glove if you locked yourself out of the car in the first place??
Old 12-14-01, 10:14 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

man, sorry to hear that, but when it come to the pro, they can steal anycar if they wanted to.

that is why you need a secret switch, go out of the normal alarm scheme, put your own switch in, somewhere no one know... yes alot more hassle for you

my switch is magmetic activated (can't see it), that is all I can tell you, but they can alway tow the car hee hee
Old 12-14-01, 05:14 PM
CPerez100
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy

I'm so so so soooo sorry my friend ! at least you are ok.
Old 12-14-01, 05:42 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Man, sorry to hear about your car. I know how you fell. I had my car stolen 2 years ago. It was only a Camry, but I had put in about 3,500 dollars worth of stereo equipment. I remember at night I thought I heard my car start and drive away, but I thought it was my imagination. The next morning, I went outside to go to work and my car was gone. They found the car 3 days later stripped. I just hope it doesn't happen again to me with my GS. I live in Irvine too which is "supposed" to be a good area....yeah right. I hope that everything works out for you. Let us know how it goes.

Quick Reply: GS4 stolen - this may be the end