GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Check Engine & VSC / VSC lights on! Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-07, 07:42 PM
Kaluna
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine & VSC / VSC lights on! Help

Aloha everyone. I just installed an SRT intake on my 99 GS300. I test drove it for a good 40 miles last night and it was fine. Today on the way to town as I was accelerating to get on an on ramp the check engine light came on as well as the VSC & VSC off lights came on. I had no throttle response at all unless I floored it & then it was minimal. I pulled over & turned the car off & on a few times. I got throttle response back but the lights were still on., but it drove normaly. I managed to limp my way home about 20 miles. As I got closer to home, the car lost throttle response again, & the idle raised to about 2000 rpm, but the car seemed as if it woudn't shift. I manged to get it home top speed around 35 mph. Anyone know. I checked all of the connections & they are all good. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Has anyone with the intake have a similar problem? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 06-03-07, 07:48 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disconnect your battery for 30 min. Cured mine forever..
Old 06-03-07, 07:55 PM
Kaluna
Pole Position

Yeah I tried that earlier but the lights remained. Maybe I didnt leave it off long enough. I'm gonna try to leave it off over night & see.
Old 06-03-07, 07:58 PM
Flex33
Driver School Candidate

Default could be ur throttle sensor

mine had the same problem, i took it to the dealership and the codes told them that i needed a new throttle body and sensor, cost me a lot of money
Old 06-03-07, 07:59 PM
JonScotti
Driver School Candidate

I got a 99 GS4. Same problem. Is does seem to fix itself, although not permanently. The first time it happened, I had the codes read and it was the Throttle Position Sensor. Which was then replaced. Ran fine for a while then it happend again. This time I cleaned the MAF sensor and the throttle body and the problem went away again (for a while). Now just the other day it happened again, this time when I had the codes read, it points to the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor. I have odered the APPS and it should be here Monday or Tuesday. (Thank god for extended warranties!) I will let you know if this FINALLY fixes the problem.
BTW I have 80K on my car and also have an intake
Old 06-03-07, 08:11 PM
Kaluna
Pole Position

What intakes are you guys using? I at first was worried I screwed up with the ECU wiring but I double checked everything & its all tightly connected & soldered.
Old 06-03-07, 08:18 PM
White98ARISTO
Goldmember

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this same problem recently and it was my MAF sensor. If you just installed your intake, that could be your problem.
Old 06-03-07, 08:36 PM
Kaluna
Pole Position

Originally Posted by White98ARISTO
I had this same problem recently and it was my MAF sensor. If you just installed your intake, that could be your problem.
Were you able to clean it? Or did you need to replace it? My Tacoma's MAF when dirty mostly had an erratic idle. I'm not sure what to use or how to clean this MAF. Any tips?
Old 06-03-07, 10:27 PM
White98ARISTO
Goldmember

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaluna
Were you able to clean it? Or did you need to replace it? My Tacoma's MAF when dirty mostly had an erratic idle. I'm not sure what to use or how to clean this MAF. Any tips?
Tried to clean and lights still on. But once I replaced a new one, lights went off. It happen right after i reoiled my filter, so I think the MAF got messed up from the oil.

You're in luck as someone else just posted a thread about how to clean the MAF sensor.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=285675
Old 06-04-07, 01:24 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Scan for codes. If you're getting P1120 and P1121, you'll probably need either a new TPS or APPS-- or maybe both.
Old 06-04-07, 11:46 AM
Kaluna
Pole Position

Can any one reccomend a good OBD II Scanner?
Old 06-04-07, 01:40 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaluna
Can any one reccomend a good OBD II Scanner?
Are you planning on purchasing one? I think as long as it has the basic functions to scan and clear codes you should be OK. I personally wouldn't buy an expensive OBDII tool unless I could do custom fine tuning with it also.
Old 06-04-07, 04:44 PM
VIP2GS
Driver School Candidate

Did you try unpluging your battier. for acouple mins. i jsut got the same prob and i jsut rest the comp and the prob went away
Old 06-04-07, 05:55 PM
Kaluna
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sleeper408
Are you planning on purchasing one? I think as long as it has the basic functions to scan and clear codes you should be OK. I personally wouldn't buy an expensive OBDII tool unless I could do custom fine tuning with it also.
I've been planning to & I believe that this just pushed me over the edge to buy one. Its the first time the CEL hasn't cleared out on its own. Then again the GS isn't exactly the most basic thing out there. I'll do some research on it.
Old 06-04-07, 06:02 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine was throwing out a ISCV code.
time to clean throttle body and pray to the lexus gods that it'll fix it!

Quick Reply: Check Engine & VSC / VSC lights on! Help