GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Mark Levinson Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-07, 02:05 PM
Scott1981
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Speaker Replacement

I have a 2002 GS300 with a mark levinson system. The center rear subwoofer has blown. I was wondering if there is any warranty that is specific to the speaker outside of the standard manufacturer's warranty (since I'm over the standard 4 year warranty)?

also, im having problems getting access to this speaker. there is no way to remove the rear harness when going through the trunk. When trying to get access from inside the cabin, the speaker cover will not pry off, and I'm afraid to pull too hard for fear of breaking it.

Does anybody know how to get complete access to this speaker?

Is this system compatible with any other brands since replacing the mark levinson speaker through the dealer is going to cost an arm and a leg?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 05-07-07, 03:56 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have the same problem on 02 gs anybody knows how to fix it?
Old 05-07-07, 05:48 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The factory sub has a 4 bolt mounting bracket. I don't know of any other sub that has it done that way. You can just hack up the bracket and mount an aftermarket sub in there. Not too hard really. Just replace it with a good quality free air subwoofer, it will probably sound better and cost less than $100.

As for gettin to the sub. You will have to remove the rear seats, C pillar covers, and then the rear deck will slide out. After that, you should be able to get at the sub and remove the 4 screws holding it in.
Old 08-22-07, 12:21 PM
wexclr8
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the link to remove the deck lid for subwoofer replacement:

http://bananags.grantham-internation...DIY/rear_deck/

On that note, I am in the market to replace the sub in my 2002 GS300 with ML. Lexus has quoted me $331 for a new sub (an additional 200-240 to install). I have searched the forums without too much luck for finding an easy drop in to replace the ML sub. Does anyone have any suggestions or stories to share?

Thanks again and happy replacing!
Old 03-14-08, 10:38 PM
SEXinMyLEX
Driver School Candidate

Hi there, I've also just purchased an '02 GS300 and have since blown my rear ML sub as well. Does anyone have good input on sub replacements, as far as aftermarket VS the Levinson replacement? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-08, 03:34 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn guys, what do you do get in these things and immediately crank the "bass" setting to max? ive had my 03 430 with ml/nav since last june and have yet to blow the sub out. you need to be easy, this isnt an aftermarket system designed for you to beat the **** out of it, its a slightly upgraded factory system thats somewhat better then the pioneer and nak systems standard on the other models....

to the one guy that got quoted the astronomical sub installation fee... you might not have any choice but to purchase the ML sub directly from lexus (i would really contact luis over at carson toyota for the best price on this) but you definitely dont want to be letting your dealership rape you on the install. any reputable stereo installation shop will be able to get that old sub out and install the new one in less then half an hour out the door for a LOT less then that dealer wants.
Old 03-15-08, 09:16 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've yet to blown my 98 normal sub... but I did crank the bass to max

I also want to replace the sub, for better sound of course... So I should find a 10inch Kicker C10? and what amp? (I wanted to go Alpine, but I don't think they have a IB sub...)

MFD boards, do I need to cut it? (I moved and have no tools at the moment...) (or should I just buy the kit stated here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...bwoofer&page=4 )

And wiring, just steal the oem amp's lines to the new amp, run positive from battery with fuse, run ground to body in trunk, run +- from amp to sub... that's it?

oh and I think there should be a amp turn on wire needed? is there such a wire for the oem amp that I can use?

what else I'm missing?
Old 03-15-08, 10:34 AM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Default Re:

Go to www.ebaymotors.com and search for lexmaniac. He has plenty of new GS ML subs for $279 + $17 for shipping....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...3286.m20.l1116
Old 03-15-08, 12:40 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AUGuy21
Go to www.ebaymotors.com and search for lexmaniac. He has plenty of new GS ML subs for $279 + $17 for shipping....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...3286.m20.l1116

like i said, i would absolutely check with luis over at carson toyota (forum sponsor) before buying elsewhere... not sure about this particular subwoofer but lexmaniac consistently has huge markups on almost everything he sells.
Old 05-14-08, 08:49 PM
SEXinMyLEX
Driver School Candidate

does anyone have any other replacement options?

i wish to leave the amp factory.....but am willling to change at a reasonable price....

Old 05-13-09, 11:29 PM
cerumo
Driver School Candidate

I did some research before replacing my blown ML sub (gs 430). The stock ML sub is 2 ohm so it can be replaced with any 2 ohm free to air sub. Elemental Design SQ10 2 ohm does the job just fine even with stock ML amp. Hope this helps some folks out there.
Old 05-13-09, 11:34 PM
cerumo
Driver School Candidate

On a side note, a minor custom job may be required. May need to make a custom mdf board because most of aftermarket subs has a different bolt pattern and speaker shape than ML sub.
Old 05-14-09, 12:17 AM
Baliztik
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking for a replacement I have all ML equipment minus the center channel, sub and tweeters for sale.
Old 05-14-09, 06:28 AM
milellie11
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SEXinMyLEX
does anyone have any other replacement options?

i wish to leave the amp factory.....but am willling to change at a reasonable price....

The same thing happened to my 02 GS430 with Mark Levinson a couple of years ago. The sub blew and rattled. I replaced it with this JL Audio 10IB4 10" free air subwoofer. This is the way to go my friend! Same 8 ohm configuration as the Mark Levinson sub and it's a direct drop in, no cutting or modification required. What's even better, is of course it's free air, one of the only, if not the only one JL makes. It fits perfectly, but it sounds even better. Cleaner and tighter bass. Mine sounds good just off the factory Mark Levinson amp, the bass was a decent upgrade. But you can also hook up an external amp to run the sub which i heard will make it sound even better. After 2 years, it still sounds great and it's much more durable and better built than the Mark Levinson sub so it will not blow as easily, even if you push it

Anyway, here is where you can purchase it from with free ground shipping:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=2752

Only $129! You can install it yourself, or take it to an audio shop and they'll maybe do it for less than $100 bucks. Either way, you shouldn't end up paying no more than $225 for EVERYTHING and you'll end up with a better sound that will last much longer and cheaper than the Mark Levinson.

Hope i was helpful!

Last edited by milellie11; 05-14-09 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-24-09, 02:42 PM
Kubs
Rookie

Originally Posted by milellie11
The same thing happened to my 02 GS430 with Mark Levinson a couple of years ago. The sub blew and rattled. I replaced it with this JL Audio 10IB4 10" free air subwoofer. This is the way to go my friend! Same 8 ohm configuration as the Mark Levinson sub and it's a direct drop in, no cutting or modification required. What's even better, is of course it's free air, one of the only, if not the only one JL makes. It fits perfectly, but it sounds even better. Cleaner and tighter bass. Mine sounds good just off the factory Mark Levinson amp, the bass was a decent upgrade. But you can also hook up an external amp to run the sub which i heard will make it sound even better. After 2 years, it still sounds great and it's much more durable and better built than the Mark Levinson sub so it will not blow as easily, even if you push it

Anyway, here is where you can purchase it from with free ground shipping:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=2752

Only $129! You can install it yourself, or take it to an audio shop and they'll maybe do it for less than $100 bucks. Either way, you shouldn't end up paying no more than $225 for EVERYTHING and you'll end up with a better sound that will last much longer and cheaper than the Mark Levinson.

Hope i was helpful!
milellie11, You are the man.... I did exactly as you said and WOOOOOW... It sounds clean, classy and hits hard... I used the existing wiring and ran it to a Alpine Amp and it really sounds amazing... Your post should be the only post to all 2001-2005 GS430 ML sub woe's.... Thanks a million....

Kubs...

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Speaker Replacement