GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Mark Levinson Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-11, 07:03 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^That's what I'm wondering now. I'm in the process of thinking of buying the 6.5in speaker baffles off ebay for all four doors and find a free air sub. I want to go ahead and replace all speakers at once. I was running Pioneer speaker off my Bose in my old Infiniti.
Old 05-23-11, 08:37 AM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't understand why anyone doing any kind of upgrade would not replace all of the speakers. When I bought my GS the first thing I did was rip out the whole Nakamichi system. Whatever floats your boat!
Old 05-23-11, 02:06 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

OutlawTita- I completely agree with you- I have have so many other projects right now- and being that the GS is my daily driver- It's hard to find a day to remove all the door panels and install a couple nice sets of components into the Lexus, to replace all the OEM Mids & Highs. I'm thinking that IS what I'm going to do though- I want to keep the ML amp in there just to run the Navigation voice...I'm going to use the JL Audio "Clean Sweep" (CL441dsp) along with one nice amp to run the mids/highs and the 10IB4 sub that I'll be installing on the rear deck...

I want to hear back from people who have installed the (old school, and rare- since DISCONTINUED) 10IB4 sub in their 2GS's!
Old 05-23-11, 02:47 PM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by AirRideFan
OutlawTita- I completely agree with you- I have have so many other projects right now- and being that the GS is my daily driver- It's hard to find a day to remove all the door panels and install a couple nice sets of components into the Lexus, to replace all the OEM Mids & Highs. I'm thinking that IS what I'm going to do though- I want to keep the ML amp in there just to run the Navigation voice...I'm going to use the JL Audio "Clean Sweep" (CL441dsp) along with one nice amp to run the mids/highs and the 10IB4 sub that I'll be installing on the rear deck...

I want to hear back from people who have installed the (old school, and rare- since DISCONTINUED) 10IB4 sub in their 2GS's!
They probably are not active on this site anymore. I'm about to order the 6.5 inch baffles off eBay now. As long as I run a good 6.5 3-way speaker in my doors (Pioneer, Alpine) the sound will be great. the JLW1 replacement probably sounds good but W1 speakers are kind of weak. I'm just going to look for any great 10" free air sub that is 8 ohms so that it can work with the factory amp. I'm looking forward to this upgrade. Hopefully the original ML headunit is good enough to push great sound through the new components.

***Just noticed that I don't have the ML headunit...dang! I just have the regular Poineer radio. What tipped me off was people stating they had to replace their center speaker...I didn't know what the heck they were talking about lol. Well I'm guessing the regular amp still should be able to push the new sub.

Last edited by SaiyanGS3; 05-23-11 at 03:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AirRideFan (04-05-19)
Old 05-27-11, 01:28 PM
Kubs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You got to be kidding... Don't waste your time with yet another Cheaply made piece of crap Mark Levinson sub replacement. Get your self a quality Free air sub-woofer. Try JL, i did that and it sound clean and Wwaaaaayyy better than stock...did i mention quality sound. Not sure what Lexus/ Mark Levinson was thinking placing that piece of crap they refer to as a subwoofer.
Old 05-27-11, 01:48 PM
lexybaby77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kubs
You got to be kidding... Don't waste your time with yet another Cheaply made piece of crap Mark Levinson sub replacement. Get your self a quality Free air sub-woofer. Try JL, i did that and it sound clean and Wwaaaaayyy better than stock...did i mention quality sound. Not sure what Lexus/ Mark Levinson was thinking placing that piece of crap they refer to as a subwoofer.
which one did you get? How's the install?
Old 05-27-11, 06:32 PM
maxXx430
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ended up using a dremel to cut off the ML sub and drill holes in the housing to fit a CVR 10" kicker sub. had to cut the truck too because the bolts holding the sub into the housing needed fitting. everything works well with the ML stock amp and it hit much harder. i dont listen to music much so its perfect for me and looks clean! i just had to get rid of the busted old ML sub.

now my speakers are starting to cut in and out. great!!!! (sarcastically)
Old 05-30-11, 01:26 PM
jw11301
Driver School Candidate

Default 2001 GS300 cente front speaker

I need to replace my center front speaker grill. How do I remove it?
Old 06-01-11, 01:34 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexybaby77

i got a nice impossible to find free air JL Audio 10IB4 with your name all over it buddy. PM me.

*install is cake, basically a drop in after you pull up the rear deck lid and you can power directly off your factory amp. sounds much better then oem sub.
Old 06-07-11, 02:27 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
i got a nice impossible to find free air JL Audio 10IB4 with your name all over it buddy. PM me.

*install is cake, basically a drop in after you pull up the rear deck lid and you can power directly off your factory amp. sounds much better then oem sub.
You have one? I just bought a "NIB" one on ebay a few months ago... SO GLAD I FOUND IT on there! (it's from 6/96!...but never used/NEW in the box)

Problem is, now my radio is CUTTING IN/OUT...and doesn't even TURN ON half the time. Mark Levinson amp went bad? WTF...? ha

Lexus is such an amazing brand- I'm surprised they allowed the used of such poor quality (ML) junk to be available in them (as an "OPTION", too!) ha
Old 06-14-11, 03:24 PM
Kubs
Rookie

Unhappy Aww Crap, my JL has pooped out on me....

Originally Posted by milellie11
Thanks man, glad i could help
Oh yeah, my sub is still going strong. Still sounds as good as it did day 1. Actually, it sounds a little better as the cone has been loosened from the continuous play. I forsee no problems with this sub
Sadly my JL has decided to crap out on me. Please keep in mind i do not crank this thing. The most volume this this has ever received is 25%, Amp is less than 25% Gain. It sounds like its bottoming out at low volume then completely goes away with 40-50% volume turned up... I think i'll replace it with a Image Dynamics free air flow sub at Woffersetc.com.
Old 06-14-11, 03:33 PM
Kubs
Rookie

Default Bad set up im guess???

Originally Posted by AirRideFan
You have one? I just bought a "NIB" one on ebay a few months ago... SO GLAD I FOUND IT on there! (it's from 6/96!...but never used/NEW in the box)

Problem is, now my radio is CUTTING IN/OUT...and doesn't even TURN ON half the time. Mark Levinson amp went bad? WTF...? ha

Lexus is such an amazing brand- I'm surprised they allowed the used of such poor quality (ML) junk to be available in them (as an "OPTION", too!) ha
I have an after market (8 Ohm) JL sub which means it draws the exact amount of power from the stock MK Lev amp. If you swapped your sub for a 4 or 2 ohm amp, then that would easily cause your ML amp to go... I ran my sub line to an independent amp (alpine) so that i did not draw too much power from the Stock amp, added a capacitor to protect the ML amp. My sound is clean and crisp.

My set up:

Sock Mark Lev amp still intact.
Stock speakers all around, minus Sub
Sub = JL 8 ohm free air sub. (does not have to be JL) can be any free air sub.
4 channel alpine amp bridged 2 channel to sub. (not necessary all you need is a mono amp of bridged 2 channel)
With aftermarket amp porwering the Sub you can use a 4 ohm sub(recommended) as mine blew from 8 ohms
Old 06-14-11, 03:41 PM
Kubs
Rookie

Default I got a JL, see posts below

Originally Posted by lexybaby77
You dont need a JL, if you are doing a simple drop in, get any Free Air 8 ohm sub. I like the guys over at woffersetc.com

http://www.woofersetc.com/c-33-10-su...ufacturerid=36

Call and ask them for a good speaker for the car they recommend Image Dynamics, which is a much better sub.

Now if you are going to run an extra amp strictly for the Sub while using the stock ML amp get a 4 ohm Sub.

All the best... i try post pics....
Old 06-23-11, 11:08 AM
tianh
Pole Position

My subwoofer is about need replacement too
Old 06-23-11, 12:06 PM
Vandy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks cerumo that just what I wanted to know

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Speaker Replacement