GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help me prepare for a long road trip...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 02:02 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by minla007
dude, i wouldnt take my gs into mexico.....too much crap could happen to it....federalies, theft, vandalism, etc
a GS is not that big of a deal out there. i see H2, Escalades ect... i have even seen a ferrari out there before. he is going to a big turist spot, don't belive everything you see on TV.
all you have to do is follow all laws and you will be fine. i take trips down there all the time.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 03-31-07 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-31-07, 02:10 PM
GoldGS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saelee39
I am getting ready to go party in Rosarito for Spring Break next week and i would like you guys to help me out. I will be driving from norcal to Rosarito (approx. 8hrs). There will be 4 people in my car including myself. Should I leave on my 20inch rims?

Heres what I compiled so far for my list:
1. Topped off all fluids (coolant, brake fluid, motor oil, transmission fluid)
2. Check tire pressure
3. Wax car..

Also if you have been to the city, any tips would be helpful since this will be my first time crossing the border and going to a diff. country... Thanks...
Don't take the car across the border if this is your first time, especially with 20s. IF anything happens to your car... Whatever happens in Mexico, stays in Mexico.
Old 04-01-07, 02:38 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

saelee39, i just got back from a quick trip to rosarito
papas was cracking, it will most likely be even better next week. one thing, do not take drugs, weapons or have open bottles. there is a military check point right by playas, that's right before the toll road.

sorry pic is so bad, camara phones suck.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 05-09-07 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-01-07, 02:40 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

border wait sucks

Last edited by GS FONZy; 05-09-07 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-01-07, 03:16 PM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can of fix-a-flat does not hurt... make sure you have all your tools to change a flat tire if you get one, also if you have any wheel locks, make sure you have the keys to the wheel locks in your car...

jumper cables
Old 04-01-07, 04:40 PM
saelee39
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
saelee39, i just got back from a quick trip to rosarito
papas was cracking, it will most likely be even better next week. one thing, do not take drugs, weapons or have open bottles. there is a military check point right by playas, that's right before the toll road.

sorry pic is so bad, camara phones suck.

Will they check you when were going in or coming back from the border? Im trying to get blown there and do they check your car pretty good, do they use drug dogs?
Old 04-01-07, 05:09 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

they had 3 driffrent MPs check the car pretty good going in. they ask me some questions and let me know that the knife i had was ilegal, but they just ask me to put it in my trunk. they were pretty cool, they said if a cop would have found the knife he would have made a big deal about it, so that was pretty cool on them. they mostly are looking for drugs and real weapons, not the knife i use for cutting boxes open at work. they did not search us, so if must have a little some some then i would keep it or hide it realy well. you know the good hiding spots on the GSs, right?
Old 04-01-07, 08:45 PM
saelee39
Pole Position

so your sayings its best to just have it on me? where would a good hiding spot be in the GS?
Old 04-02-07, 05:57 AM
FlavesLex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by saelee39
so your sayings its best to just have it on me? where would a good hiding spot be in the GS?
LMAO You should PM The Fonz with those questions. Just my opinion.
However from my trip to Mexico, it was fairly easy to get "SOME"
HAVE FUN
Old 04-06-14, 12:42 AM
olson109
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
they had 3 driffrent MPs check the car pretty good going in. they ask me some questions and let me know that the knife i had was ilegal, but they just ask me to put it in my trunk. they were pretty cool, they said if a cop would have found the knife he would have made a big deal about it, so that was pretty cool on them. they mostly are looking for drugs and real weapons, not the knife i use for cutting boxes open at work. they did not search us, so if must have a little some some then i would keep it or hide it realy well. you know the good hiding spots on the GSs, right?

What about the trap door at the bottom in the center arms rest, not real big but you wouldnt know it was there. Look at this video at 9m 19 sec to see the spot I am talking about
Old 04-06-14, 01:35 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't bring a gun of any type. It could be dangerous if you get caught with it.
Old 04-06-14, 08:39 AM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure your spare tools are all there and legit. Have clean oil in both engine and tranny. If battery dies you can always pick one up along the way. Air pressure in tires. Check for major oil leaks that might ruin the alternator. The drive there is about 9-10 hours. Make sure your cooling system is legit because you will be idling for long periods of time once you get to the border crossing. Do not wonder off alone or with just one friend (day or night). YOU WILL NEED A PASSPORT. Once you're into Mexico, it would be a good idea to get insurance. Believe me, it's worth it.
Old 04-06-14, 09:27 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by olson109
What about the trap door at the bottom in the center arms rest, not real big but you wouldnt know it was there. Look at this video at 9m 19 sec to see the spot I am talking about
How to Remove 2006 + Lexus GS Headunit Stereo Navigation System Screen - YouTube
That's for a 3GS (2006-2011)...

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Don't bring a gun of any type. It could be dangerous if you get caught with it.
Originally Posted by VIP161
Make sure your spare tools are all there and legit. Have clean oil in both engine and tranny. If battery dies you can always pick one up along the way. Air pressure in tires. Check for major oil leaks that might ruin the alternator. The drive there is about 9-10 hours. Make sure your cooling system is legit because you will be idling for long periods of time once you get to the border crossing. Do not wonder off alone or with just one friend (day or night). YOU WILL NEED A PASSPORT. Once you're into Mexico, it would be a good idea to get insurance. Believe me, it's worth it.
You fellas can thank olson109 for bumping a 7 year old thread.
Old 04-06-14, 07:55 PM
VIP161
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!! I didn't even realize that. You got me!
Old 04-06-14, 07:59 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well this is old as sh&$ But , a Cellphone charger for the car, fix a flat, cellphone, spare tire with tools, any fluids that need changed do it and ride on stock wheels only, and a female to give road head to ease the trip, DONE

Quick Reply: Help me prepare for a long road trip...