GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

alternator replacement how-to?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-09, 12:17 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkirby
i took off the bolts and wires to the alternator (90 min) im newB. and then i couldnt find a hole big enuff to slide it out. so i yanked and cranked it out. it was frustrating. im going to napa today to get a new alternator. i think i might have trouble fitting it back in the hole i pulled it from. and also there was a leak dripping onto the alternator. i read up on it and some said it was the power steering fluid. will lucas power steering stop leak stop a leak in a hose?
i think the older models did have a issue with power steering dripping onto thr alternator but its been awhile since i recall hearing about it
Old 09-03-09, 12:58 PM
maintrain
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kingkirby
i took off the bolts and wires to the alternator (90 min) im newB. and then i couldnt find a hole big enuff to slide it out. so i yanked and cranked it out. it was frustrating. im going to napa today to get a new alternator. i think i might have trouble fitting it back in the hole i pulled it from. and also there was a leak dripping onto the alternator. i read up on it and some said it was the power steering fluid. will lucas power steering stop leak stop a leak in a hose?
I had 2 alternators die from a leaky ps pump. In my case, the stop leak didn't work so I had to replace the ps pump. It's not cheap so I found a used one. No more alternator issues to date.
Old 04-28-11, 01:36 PM
DRELOC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread but i just replaced the alt about 3 days ago which was a PITA at first then i realized it's not so bad after all if you have patience and think everything thoroughly. Here's a tip on removing the bolt from the PS pulley without a holding tool or SST. Don't remove the serpentine belt while loosening the bolt but if you did already just put like a 5inch socket extension thru the pulley hole and wedge it between the PS pump. The bolt is not torque really tight just need a 1/4 of a turn with your 3/8 breaker bar and it's off. Now to take the pulley off is tricky because if it's rusted on there you might wanna soak it with PB blaster for a while and use a ballpeene hammer and tap & turn it a couple of times from behind to loosen it up since the pulley it's only friction fit. In my case i rented a 3 jaw pulley remover from Autozone(part no. 27078) and you have to remove your radiator fan to fit the puller. I wanna thanked GSteg for answering my pm's and helping me out. Thanks buddy . I hope this will help DIYer out there and save money on labor.
Old 10-13-11, 08:20 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

I just removed my alternator today and this thread was very helpful in the process. To remove the PS pulley I used a pry bar which I placed between the pulley and the pump. I tapped it lightly with a rubber mallet. I tapped, turned, tapped, and turned until I was able to wiggle the pulley loose. I removed the alternator thru the front, just had to push a ps line out of the way a little.
I will be replacing the alt with a remanufactured OE that's gonna cost me $90 with core turn in. I think it's a pretty good deal.
I don't think installation will be any harder than the removal. Wish me luck!
Old 10-14-11, 02:42 AM
DRELOC
Driver

I used the pry bar method but the damn pulley still won't come off so i used the jaw in the end. I wonder if we have to take the alternator off again in order to remove the PS pump?
Old 10-14-11, 03:34 PM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe a stupid question but.....
How much of the remove and replace is done from the underside of the motor and how much from up top?
If a lot has to be done from underneath I'll probably use a buddy's pit for the job.
Old 10-14-11, 05:13 PM
77i9
Lead Lap

I removed the serpentine belt and the ps pulley from the top. Everything else was done from under the car.
Old 10-14-11, 06:10 PM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 77i9
I removed the serpentine belt and the ps pulley from the top. Everything else was done from under the car.
Thanks.
JimA
Old 10-22-11, 05:52 PM
Gunnut
Pole Position

Changed mine out today. Not as difficult as I imagined it would be. Only took about an hour start to finish.
Old 11-08-11, 03:45 AM
asia615
Driver School Candidate

Just changed mine out yesterday. I used the PDF files provided and they were very helpful. Seems to have a leaky PS from somewhere. Also only when the car is in drive, i've started getting some loud idle noise.
Old 10-09-12, 06:18 PM
krispl
Pole Position

So it seems like majority of you are getting alternator out through the bottom of car right?
Old 12-01-13, 05:10 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I replaced my alternator today, and have a tip for others. I initially found it nearly impossible to wrestle the alternator out of its location, there was always something in the way - pulleys, hoses, and other components.

The only way I could get it out was by dropping the front sway bar mounts (4 screws total), and lowering the sway bar - then the alternator pretty much fell out onto my face . Would have saved me close to an hour of aggravation if I had done this from the start.
Old 05-29-14, 09:44 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Are you guys replacing your alternators with OEM alternators? Could I just go to a junkyard and pull one off a 2GS or is it better to get a refurbished one?
Old 11-29-18, 10:07 AM
pilotbob3
Driver School Candidate

Just a word to contribute to an old thread, got around to replacing my 1998 GS400 alternator. It GREATLY simplifies the job to remove the fan assembly first. A bit of a pain to remove the fans, the connectors have a locking tab that you need to push down to release the two halves, but once you do six screws hold the assembly in place.

I found it impossible to get the alternator out from the bottom using the factory pdf's. With the fans removed you can get to both alternator bolts, the positive battery connection and the alternator connector easily from the top and lift the unit out from there. Easy as pie.