GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Black touch up paint for door pillars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-07, 06:45 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Black touch up paint for door pillars?

Does anyone know of a touch up paint that matches these door pillars circled in pic? Does Lexus sell it? Does Black Oynx match?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Black touch up paint for door pillars?-paint.jpg  
Old 03-08-07, 07:25 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I do not have an answer, but a comment.

Touch up paints are to cover spots (prevent damage to the underlaying stuff) and help give a blended lokk from far.

The door pillar is at eye level every time you approach to enter the vehicle. If the touch up is not done properly, it will be like a wart on the forehead.

I would highly reccomend to have the whole pillar painted by a shop.
If they come pre-painted may be have the piece replaced.

Salim
Old 03-08-07, 07:29 AM
YeShrug
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a similar issue where the clear was peeling (on my Acura TL-S). Luckily it was a common issue so the replaced it under warranty, but itll look better to replace em.
Old 03-08-07, 08:01 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by salimshah
I do not have an answer, but a comment.

Touch up paints are to cover spots (prevent damage to the underlaying stuff) and help give a blended lokk from far.

The door pillar is at eye level every time you approach to enter the vehicle. If the touch up is not done properly, it will be like a wart on the forehead.

I would highly reccomend to have the whole pillar painted by a shop.
If they come pre-painted may be have the piece replaced.

Salim
LOL. it's not THAT bad for a whole repaint , it's just a couple tiny chip marks in the paint that were there since I bought it.

I appreciate what you're saying though.
Old 03-08-07, 08:18 AM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Use a black Sharpie. I had a few spots that were bothering me and the Sharpie worked wonders. I mean, it's like I didn't even touch it up. Blends perfectly (at least for me it did). Then again I only had a few very small nicks, not sure how large your areas that need touching up are? Is has lasted numerous car washes as well and is holding up fine... try it, you probably have one in your house somewhere...
Old 03-08-07, 08:22 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can touch it up. I had some crazy chips on there. Just use a needle to tough it up, not the brush that comes with the paint. Basically dip the needle in the paint, then let the paint drip off the needle in the the chip. You should get a nice fill. Don't worry if you get a little bulge, you can shave and polish it off. To shave a bulge, get a razor blade, like the one you would use in a sheetrock knife. Put masking tape around both edges of the blade, so that you only have the blade exposed in the middle, Now take it easy and shave the bulge. Once the paint dries in a couple of days, get some 2000 grit sand paper, wet it, and sand down the remainder. Then polish it with a good compund. It will blend in 100% if done right.

I had a deep scratch on the fender, about 8" long. Did the touchup like I said, and now you can't tell it was there. The only thing is that it is slow and time consuming.
Old 03-08-07, 09:31 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

thanks dennis-since your car is black, did you use the black oynx touch up paint on the pillars too?
Old 03-08-07, 10:01 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

I need to check which one I used. But it was from Lexus, in one of those thin bottles. I ordered them from Carson last time. It will work.
Old 03-08-07, 08:56 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Chuck-
PepBoys, Dupli-Color Black brush-on. Most gloss black will be fine.

Jerry
Old 03-09-07, 10:54 AM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey chuck,
I had a small rock chip on the door pillar too, so i went to the lexus dealership and got some black onyx (202) touch up paint in a small bottle. You can use the pen tip to do small rock chips, and the brush to do larger areas.

For the rock chips, just use the pen tip and slightly touch it, and the chip is gone! You can also do what slickgt1 said and wet sand the area if you want to blend it in even more.

Its a quick fix, and works well.

Good luck!
Old 03-09-07, 10:56 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a sharpie
Old 03-09-07, 10:56 AM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by slickgt1
You can touch it up. I had some crazy chips on there. Just use a needle to tough it up, not the brush that comes with the paint. Basically dip the needle in the paint, then let the paint drip off the needle in the the chip. You should get a nice fill. Don't worry if you get a little bulge, you can shave and polish it off. To shave a bulge, get a razor blade, like the one you would use in a sheetrock knife. Put masking tape around both edges of the blade, so that you only have the blade exposed in the middle, Now take it easy and shave the bulge. Once the paint dries in a couple of days, get some 2000 grit sand paper, wet it, and sand down the remainder. Then polish it with a good compund. It will blend in 100% if done right.

I had a deep scratch on the fender, about 8" long. Did the touchup like I said, and now you can't tell it was there. The only thing is that it is slow and time consuming.
that sounds pretty good and i want to try it, but won't the sandpaper take off the clearcoat around the area?
Old 03-09-07, 01:28 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

i used 202
Old 03-09-07, 08:26 PM
pardo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chin
Use a black Sharpie. I had a few spots that were bothering me and the Sharpie worked wonders. I mean, it's like I didn't even touch it up. Blends perfectly (at least for me it did). Then again I only had a few very small nicks, not sure how large your areas that need touching up are? Is has lasted numerous car washes as well and is holding up fine... try it, you probably have one in your house somewhere...
sharpie actually works i just tried it.
Old 03-10-07, 06:42 AM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pardo
sharpie actually works i just tried it.
I'm glad someone listened, a Sharpie is the right consistency.... why go through all the issues with paint, sanding down, using toothpicks... blah blah blah... the Sharpie works and it works great, plus it will probably be free because almost everyone has a Sharpie... Keep it simple...