GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Key Batteries-Who has changed and where to get?(bad range-something else?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-07, 09:46 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Key Batteries-Who has changed and where to get?(bad range-something else?)

Like it says, who has had to change the battery in their key? Can you get the battery at Wal Mart etc. or are they special?

The range has become very bad all of a sudden. I'm hoping it's the key batteries. I switched to my other key but it's the same story, so I kind of doubt it's the batteries but I need to try that first. The car's an 01, so the batteries are both at least 6 years old.

Has anyone else had their keyless range get bad all of a sudden? Ideas?

Thanks
Old 03-01-07, 10:16 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
Like it says, who has had to change the battery in their key? Can you get the battery at Wal Mart etc. or are they special?

The range has become very bad all of a sudden. I'm hoping it's the key batteries. I switched to my other key but it's the same story, so I kind of doubt it's the batteries but I need to try that first. The car's an 01, so the batteries are both at least 6 years old.

Has anyone else had their keyless range get bad all of a sudden? Ideas?

Thanks
Chuck,

I recall reading somewhere, I believe it was in the LS section about someone doing a DIY to make the key range longer. I can't for the life of me remember what this particular person did - something to do with the remote antenna. I am sorry I can't be more help but if you search you should find it.

I have never changed the battery out myself, but I am right there with you. T

Good Luck,
Jonny
Old 03-01-07, 11:15 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, there were a bunch of post about the crappy range on our keyless entries. I have a 2001 and changed out my battery and it seemed to help a bit. You can buy the batteries anywhere that sells watch type batteries. Real simple to change out. There were people in some of the previous discussions about this that said they would hold the key under their chin while pressing the button and it would increase the range. Have never tried it but that is what someone said
Old 03-01-07, 11:20 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can buy the batteries at walmart, I think the model is a 1610.
Old 03-01-07, 11:20 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't remember the spec of the battery but you can get them anywhere. Maybe it has changed but when I looked into it, Lexus charged the most for the battery.

As for the range, different people have tried different things but the results were inconclusive after others did the same mod. Try the battery first.
Old 03-01-07, 11:34 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Some people extended the range of the antenna by adding a longer wire to it. The antenna is inside the C-pillar on the right hand side.

However as Neo pointed out, this worked for some people and not for others.
Old 03-01-07, 12:09 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

rite-aid has them. they sell duracell.

i've seen sometimes some dealerships change the batteries for free. but most of the "free" ones were done for older women. who knows...maybe it's a friendly gesture.
Old 03-01-07, 12:19 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver
i've seen sometimes some dealerships change the batteries for free. but most of the "free" ones were done for older women. who knows...maybe it's a friendly gesture.
That must be it. They certainly did not offer me a free one when I came in to inquire about it. LOL.

I think it really depends on some combination of the dealership, the employee, you, your history with the dealership in order to get a free battery. Unless you are there for something else, it is much easier to just get the battery from a retail store.
Old 03-01-07, 12:37 PM
HAWAI'I
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys do not know crappy range until you try the BMW's excuse for keyless entry. The key range suck azz big time

I literally have to be in front of my car. put the key on my chin open my mouth to try looking like a satellite dish to lock/unlock the friggin car. Might as well put the key in the friggin' keyhole but I can't coz' that is sooo yesterday.
Old 03-01-07, 01:43 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HAWAI'I
Might as well put the key in the friggin' keyhole but I can't coz' that is sooo yesterday.
Unless you drive a GS and your door lock actuators quit working and then it is completely normal

Jonny
Old 03-01-07, 02:01 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BMW key range sucks. My Lexus GS sucks also. I hate it especially with bad weather conditions.
Old 03-01-07, 03:16 PM
overboost
Rookie

yo chuck I had the same experience until my remote just stopped working, come to find out my other master still had a good battery in it (original) and the other one that died had been replaced at walmart. changed both batteries to ones from lexus and now I can lock unlock my car from about 45 feet away. I can walk a little further but then I have to find a sweet spot while pointing the key twoards the car.

I got the batteries when I picked up my touch up paint, they changed them both for me for free which was cool and didnt charge me for that. It's not like I went and got something else done either I was just making smalltalk with them asking them what the problem could be when I went during lunch one day to pick up the paint.

<-- 1999 by the way and the old one still worked but I noticed a huge difference with the new ones. Was also told that the cheapo's from walmart would probably not last very long, not sure if they are different brand's or whatnot.
Old 03-01-07, 03:18 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Putting the remote up to your chin does work, try it, you'll get more range.
Old 03-01-07, 03:56 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I've gotten almost an 1/8th mile range on mine with the chin trick. Then again I was on top of a bridge and the car was below. I was shocked that it worked because my remote usually doesn't go more than 50-60ft.
Old 03-01-07, 04:07 PM
manila_boy
Lead Lap

try radio shack also, it should last u about a year or 2 (daily). havn't used my car lately but i realized it does'nt make a diff. last nyt i took out some stuffs from my car i though the batt. died or something, until i pulled-off that chin trick and it worked-again.

Quick Reply: Key Batteries-Who has changed and where to get?(bad range-something else?)