GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Blue Smoke After Lucas Injector Cleaner on Startup

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 03:32 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i've been using the Lucas fuel injector / upper cylinder lube for a few weeks now...seems to work...I get 3+ more mpg.
Old 02-01-10, 04:19 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how can you hear the injectors? for you GS300 guys its the same 2jzge correct? same injectors and all? how do i know if i need it? ive used STP injector cleaner since i got the car atleast 2 times a month or 1 time a month. let me know. Thanks in advance!

Ashtray-
Old 02-01-10, 09:42 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by narfy
i suggest you run this tank as close to empty as you can... and then fill it completely full with whatever gas you normally run to dilute the remaining stuff...

i've seen engines puff strange colours and smoke biig clouds with fuel injector cleaner in the tanks...
that is the DUMBEST suggestion I've ever heard. you SHOULD NOT EVER run the tank as close to empty as you can.

these cars have in tank fuel pumps that use the fuel to cool the pump, if you let it run too low you will burn up the fuel pump.
Old 02-01-10, 09:44 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ashtray
how can you hear the injectors? for you GS300 guys its the same 2jzge correct? same injectors and all? how do i know if i need it? ive used STP injector cleaner since i got the car atleast 2 times a month or 1 time a month. let me know. Thanks in advance!

Ashtray-
the injectors will sort of 'tick'. It's tough to distinguish on the 2jz because it has a degree of valve tick as well. Get down to a quarter, buy the lucas fuel system treatment, put it into your tank and then fill up. Your injectors will quiet right down, your engine will run smoother, and you'll see a couple mpg increase.
Old 02-01-10, 10:06 PM
CPMD
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
that is the DUMBEST suggestion I've ever heard. you SHOULD NOT EVER run the tank as close to empty as you can.

these cars have in tank fuel pumps that use the fuel to cool the pump, if you let it run too low you will burn up the fuel pump.
Old 02-02-10, 10:32 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No what you said is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

If you have ever seen how the pump is in there, or ever taken one out in these cars, you will notice that the pump will be submerged in fuel for about half the tank. The pump is top mounted. And I let my tank get as close to empty every time, for the past 6 years, and have no problem what so ever with my pump.

So according to your obvious ill informed logic, I would have to keep my car at full tank and not let it go past half. Why would the engineers that make these cars let that happen?

Hmm lets think, maybe because at no matter what level, the pump, you know that think that brings fluid to your engine, is actually cooling itself off when running the fuel THROUGH itself. Hmm maybe that is how it cools? Just maybe.
Old 02-02-10, 10:37 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by slickgt1
No what you said is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

If you have ever seen how the pump is in there, or ever taken one out in these cars, you will notice that the pump will be submerged in fuel for about half the tank. The pump is top mounted. And I let my tank get as close to empty every time, for the past 6 years, and have no problem what so ever with my pump.

So according to your obvious ill informed logic, I would have to keep my car at full tank and not let it go past half. Why would the engineers that make these cars let that happen?

Hmm lets think, maybe because at no matter what level, the pump, you know that think that brings fluid to your engine, is actually cooling itself off when running the fuel THROUGH itself. Hmm maybe that is how it cools? Just maybe.
Hah, yeah. You're right. I, along with any lexus tech you will talk to or long time GS owner, are completely wrong in stating you should never let your tank get below 1/4 tank.

Have fun replacing your fuel filter every 5,000 miles and you WILL eventually burn the pump out by letting the fuel level get that low. When that happens, it's different for each car. However, the parts of the pump that actually require the cooling never see the fuel flowing through the pump. You must not have a clue how fuel pumps work if you think the fuel flowing through the pump cools off the entire mechanism.
Old 02-02-10, 11:19 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run some Lucas in every tank. You don't have to use so much of it at one time. I usually use about 7 squirts in the tank before I fill it up. I think it says like two oz in your tank per fill up.
Old 02-02-10, 12:31 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Hah, yeah. You're right. I, along with any lexus tech you will talk to or long time GS owner, are completely wrong in stating you should never let your tank get below 1/4 tank.

Have fun replacing your fuel filter every 5,000 miles and you WILL eventually burn the pump out by letting the fuel level get that low. When that happens, it's different for each car. However, the parts of the pump that actually require the cooling never see the fuel flowing through the pump. You must not have a clue how fuel pumps work if you think the fuel flowing through the pump cools off the entire mechanism.
Right, search for my name, and see my write-up on doing the fuel pump filter change. And then maybe search some more, and see that i don't talk smack. Oh and my car has 130k on it, and guaranteed runs better than most with less mileage. People that do know me, will vouch. Also, Lexus does not recommend changing fuel filters, as they are basic mesh screens and are meant for life.

The only reason I or anyone would do that is if you get the filters for free or just want to waste money. Once again, your pump is actually submerged in fuel only till half tank. When I swap someone’s filter or pump, I tell them to come with less than half tank, otherwise the spillage is bound to happen inside the car.

Better reason for not letting someone run the tank low is due to deposits. But honestly i have not seen any modern cars tank have deposits in it that would concern me. I mean, seriously you must fill up with dirt if you want to kill your filter. And that wouldn't kill your pump or filter as easy as one might think. I tried. The only thing that effectively killed a pump was plastic, which dissolves in fuel, and does a number on your filter, pump and injectors, but that’s another story.

Get it. Maybe you don't. Its a modern car, if it wasn't meant to go that low, it wouldn't, trust me on this, there would be some type of error if this was an issue. This is no longer 1950 tech nor 1950 gasoline grade. Your comment is similar to telling people that they must change their oil at 3k miles, or drilled rotors are better. No longer the case either. Key here is that Advances in technology have superseded people’s old school mentality.
Old 02-02-10, 12:40 PM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by j three
I run some Lucas in every tank. You don't have to use so much of it at one time. I usually use about 7 squirts in the tank before I fill it up. I think it says like two oz in your tank per fill up.
LOL, you might find this weird, but I put half the big bottle in there once. Nothing weird happened. Blue smoke at startup though. Was concerned while running on that tank. I figure they put a crap load of lubricant in there to oil up the moving componenets. Blue smoke stopped once I filled up fresh. I would not recommend using this anymore. Burning oil can deposit in your Cats, which will blow your mind on how much they cost for our cars.

Either way, try BG44K. More money, but better results.
Old 12-19-22, 12:30 AM
Mahran90
9th Gear

I don't know, lucas was the only one i have ever seen cause so much blue smoke. After it ran through the entire tank, the blue smoke stopped completely. I am happy with the results.
can you tell me what happened actually I think I did a mistake Ive added STP high mileage fuel injector cleaner and next day I added SEAFOAM high mileage fuel injector cleaner next day when I started the car a big amount of smoke is coming from my exhaust and now mostly after driving a long journey at highway and then driving in the city I see cloud of smoke coming from my exhaust.

I tried topping up the fuel when it reached to the half in order to less the concentration but it still happens please advice?
Old 12-19-22, 12:36 AM
Mahran90
9th Gear

On the recommendations of a few friends, I decided to go and buy Lucas Fuel Injector cleaner. I put in about half a bottle into slightly more than half a tank of gas. But I forgot that the tank already had STP injector cleaner from the about 3 days ago when I was filling up. So, now for the past two days, my car blows out blue smoke on startup. It is only for an instants, and goes away instantly. I know this can also be caused by valve seals, so I am hoping to wait a little while till all the lucas runs out of the system.

Has anyone else had this happen with a fuel cleaner?
Can you tell me what happened actually I think I did a mistake Ive added STP high mileage fuel injector cleaner and next day I added SEAFOAM high mileage fuel injector cleaner.
So next day when I started the car a big amount of smoke is coming from my exhaust and now mostly after driving a long journey at highway and then driving in the city I see a cloud of smoke coming from my exhaust.

I tried topping up the fuel when it reached half tank of gas in order to less the concentration but smoke is still coming after a long drive please advice?

My car is LS430 2005
Old 12-19-22, 12:40 AM
Mahran90
9th Gear

Can you tell me what happened actually I think I did a mistake Ive added STP high mileage fuel injector cleaner and next day I added SEAFOAM high mileage fuel injector cleaner.
So next day when I started the car a big amount of smoke is coming from my exhaust and now mostly after driving a long journey at highway and then driving in the city I see a cloud of smoke coming from my exhaust.

I tried topping up the fuel when it reached half tank of gas in order to less the concentration but smoke is still coming after a long drive please advice?

My car is LS430 2005
Old 12-19-22, 12:52 AM
Mahran90
9th Gear

My car is LS430 2005

I used SEAFOAM HIGH MILAGE alone without mixing it with STP the smoke never happened before
Old 12-19-22, 09:43 AM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 332 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmack
Don't use that other Lucas product that adds to your oil I have heard some nasty S*** about that stuff.
I have to say I used the LUCAS Oil additive on my extremely high mileage (298,000 mile) Acura RSX. It quieted the engine significantly enough to impress me. My K20 engine was recently checked for compression and the mechanic was shocked. Each cylinder measures at 125 psi. All four. Basically, I wouldn't worry to much about this particular product. If you have a high mileage car, give it a shot.

Paul
The following users liked this post:
Mahran90 (12-19-22)

Quick Reply: Blue Smoke After Lucas Injector Cleaner on Startup