GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HID kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-01, 12:56 PM
TLEX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID kit

I just bought a OEM HID kit for my GS. I searched the forum but couldn't find an answer.My question is: Does anybody have a write-up of the install? Or do I really have to bring it to the dealership? I would like to try to install it myself if possible.

Thanks for any help.
Old 11-15-01, 01:56 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Where did you buy the OEM kit and how much did you pay?
Old 11-15-01, 04:12 PM
TLEX
Lead Lap

I just bought it from Msray for $310. I believe he is selling his car and getting rid of his mods.
Old 11-15-01, 11:52 PM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

I can tell you that putting on an aftermkt HID kit is a piece of cake. If the factory one has similar setup (which i sort of doubt); 2 ballast, 1 harness, then I maybe able to help you out since you are local. Let me know how the setup is. I am curious to find out.
Old 11-16-01, 12:44 AM
TLEX
Lead Lap

davezaristo,
Here it is. Its just two ballasts and two bulbs (not pictured). I put the light bulb on and it wont fit the headlight housing. Do I need an adapter or something?
Old 11-16-01, 08:37 AM
davezaristo
Lead Lap

Hmm...does the light bulb look like a typical 9006? If not, I can guarantee it won't fit since the non-HID housings are made for 9006 only. What about the stock harness..does that plug into the ballast or???? The OEM kit looks quite different from the aftermarket ones from the pic.
Old 11-16-01, 10:20 AM
willard west
Pole Position

Default OEM

You said OEM which I doubted until I saw the picture.

What you have in the picture is only a small part of the OEM HID. You need to go back and get the ENTIRE headlight assembly, lots of labor involved.

What you have will not fit the non-HID headlamp assemblies.
Old 11-17-01, 04:12 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, for edumacational purposes, I just HAPPEN to have a set of 2001 GS HID headlights...

Here's a picture of the back where the bulb mounts...I'm pretty sure it's different from the non-HID setup...
Attached Thumbnails HID kit-hid-20light.jpg  
Old 11-17-01, 03:18 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!!! But that was edumacational...
Old 11-17-01, 04:14 PM
CamRen
Lexus Champion

Cool

YOU GUYS HUSH!!!! any thing is possible

and doing this is very POSSIBLE...
I HAVE THE ANSWER!!
you just have to modify the h.i.d bulbs it self.. i did it

WHAT YOU DO IS THIS:
>take a look at your orig 9006 bulb

>and take your hid bulb

>9006 bulbs housing or casing (the thing below the bulb glass) is
made of plastic

> the bulb casing/housing for the h.i.d bulb is made of some sort of solid material, sort of magnet type material. (black in color)

>you cant cut the casing for the h.i.d bulb, because if you try to cut it with those sharp pliers... you will cut in to the casing, but it will crack other part of the casing with it ... its all like action reaction thing .. hard to explain. but yeah its like a magnet when you try to cut a magnet it just breaks into peices instead of breaking in to 2 peice.

> but what you can do is GRIND the bulbs casing and just shape the top part of it so it looks like a 9006 bulb. you need to make those 3 trinagle things(like the one on the 9006 bulbs) on the hid bulb by grinding the casing.. you can find a grinder at any mechanic shop.. i can post pictures up for you guys to make it sound easier. pictures xplains a million words.. yeah, but dam dont have a dig. camera in hand.. i can possibly take the pics tommrow.

> but yeah with your stock headlamp you dont have the servos that control the levelness of the h.i.d ... you dont need them anyways. n0t too big of a deall.. even if you buy hid headlamps you wont be able to use the hid leveling because your car dosent have the control modual for the leveling (only gs's that come with hid's have that option built in. so your better off sticking with your orig. non-hid head lamp instead of wasing money on hid lamps just to fit the bulb in em ...

like i said the bulb it self needs to be modified.. and the pulg at the end of the ballasts and the cars outlet plugs needs to be modified also... just cut the pulg off your cars healdlight harness and cut the plug off the ballasts harness ( the one that goes from the ballasts to the cars harness) cut both the harness off then attach the possitive to possitive (red wires) and negative to negative(black wires) its not too hard...

seriously it took me 5 minutes to grind both the bulbs and about 15 minutes to cut the harness and stuff so a total of about 20-30 mins to modify and install the hid's ... and man after the install the headlights loookkkkk awsome.. and brighter then oem's... because oem ones are leveled and these arent. which makes it bringer when look at it from any angle. i have a gs300 that didnt come with hids but i used the same headlamps just now have h.i.ds to fit in em
Old 12-01-01, 06:17 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, this is a slight late reply but...

I heard that the autoleveling system is BUILT INTO the whole housing...so if you had a set of HID headlights (the whole housing), all you need to do is plug it in and it's completely self contained...

I heard that from a Lexus Tech...also, you can adjust the height of the stock HID lights...I have mine adjusted up a little bit since my car is lowered...

Another thing you can do is just buy a 9006 HID Kit!
Old 12-01-01, 08:22 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

From what I understand the auto-leveling is a piece separate from the lenses, go to parts.com, they show a diagram for it.
Old 12-01-01, 11:15 AM
willard west
Pole Position

Default auto-leveling HID

The shop manual for my 2000 GS300 indicates that there are two vehicle height sensors, one at the front and one at the rear, which are used as inputs to the levling ECU